Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Meade Instruments 07742 Series 5000 14mm Ultra Wide Angle Waterproof Eyepiece
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on January 17, 2015
I purchased the 5.5, 8.8, and 14mm meade 5000 series EPs on Amazon when two of the three were on sale. All I can say is I would gladly have payed full price knowing what I know now. I took em out on a nice dark night with my 8" DOB and checked out open clusters, Orion's nebula, the double Galaxy in Ursa Major and even Lovejoy comet q2. These are a real pleasure to look through. They provide a great deal more contrast than my previous EPs which was a plossl and a Kellner. Also having an 82 degree AFOV is so nice! Even at higher powers I'm nudging my DOB a lot less. For those with computerized motorized scopes you will be stunned. It a truly immersive experience.
The stars are crisp out to about 85-90% of the lens diameter. And after that stretch is negligible and does not bother me.
I'm quite happy. I'm going to pick up a 20mm next.
on October 19, 2015
I didn't know what I was missing until I switched to the Meade eyepieces (compared to my standard orion eyepiece that came with my XT8) this eyepiece is great because of the awesome field of view, It's also heavy and sturdy. I wouldn't say you need a counter balance when using this because my telescope didn't tilt to one side when using this eyepiece, I was worried reading those other reviews that said you might need a counter balance. Overall this is a beautiful eyepiece, great clarity, great field of view, very sturdy and well made.
on October 2, 2015
This is a very well constructed lens, far better than those that came with the Meade telescope that I bought. It is obvious from the moment that you feel the weight and see the fit of this piece. It has greatly enhanced the low end telescope that I bought. I will probably replace all of the original eyepieces with these better quality parts. Of course, had I bought the higher end telescope to begin with, it probably would not have been necessary to buy this eyepiece. Lesson learned and, given the clarity that this lens offers, I will probably just bite the bullet and buy a better telescope.
on April 4, 2015
This is an amazing eyepiece. I own a complete set of Meade 4000 eyepieces and after a night of stargazing I only reached into it for the Barlow and filters.

This seems to compliment my Orion AstroView 6 very well. During the daylight I sight in my finder scope on the top of an antenna about 2 miles away from me. I am used to seeing the spider of the reflector telescope in the middle and aligning the tip behind it. With this eyepiece I cannot see the spider, at all. I get a perfect image of tower with no distortions and no spider.

Nighttime use was amazing, the resolution is better than any plossl I own.
5 Stars
on October 8, 2014
I purchased 5.5 mm and 14 mm, both are of the best eyepieces I ever had in terms of price performance. The eye relief is notorious as well as the resolution and quality observations
on September 29, 2014
This is a very good eye piece. I found it comfortable for viewing and easy to focus.
on September 21, 2013
Great deal, fast shipping. The EP itself is probably my favorite EP in my whole lineup. Flat fov and sharp pinpoint stars and high contrast. Has the same fov as my 25mm orion plossl (the EP i got was a 14mm)
on December 6, 2015
Too little eyerelief if you wear spectacles, but if you can manage without spectacles, as on long focus refractors or catadioptrics, it's a bargain as well as an affordable technical delight!
on February 8, 2015
Very nice EP. It has great eye relief, great view angle, and there is almost no distortion from edge to edge. This is supposedly a knock-off of a later generation Nagler Televue. I only buy decent EP's, within what I think is a reasonable price range (I'm not spending over 200 for an EP...well, not yet), and this is certainly worth the money.
on May 29, 2015
Wow! I can't even see the edges of the FOV without moving my eye around to look for them! Razor sharp from edge to very wide edge!

See 1 answered question