There are a few things to know about these and all other 'Military' MRE meals. First off, the true 'MRE' meals provided by the military are supplied 12-meals to a box, the same ones these are coming in, but they have two banding straps that seal the box, and on the outside of the box, there is a 'REINSPECT BY' date that is 3-years from the date of packing.

The next thing to know is that MRE Military meals are considered a 'non-restockable item'. That means, when troops go to the field in the States, or when their unit is issued MRE's in combat, those not used cannot be 'placed back into the stock system'. In other words, eat them, or dispose of them. This is to ensure that if they were left out in the sun, cooked out of their minds for days, that potentially bad ones aren't put back into the stock system for someone else to draw and get sick from.

Third, there are different color individual meal bags. Yellow are NATO civilian 'humanity rations', the tan ones are Military Issue, and there is a blue one that the UN used to draw. There are also colors for vegetarian issue.

This all said, I have eaten MANY MRE's, both in the Marines, and as a civilian. Unless can see the reinspect date, or I know the stocking and handling protocols of where they came from, I would be cautious of buying 'Military MRE's'. The biggest issue being that most 'surplus' MRE's that you are bidding on now are actually individual returns from 'non-restocks' from Reserve units that returned from overseas where they have old MRE's they can't issue, or that sat in the field too long. Just like old worn sleeping bags or dented gas cans, you are basically taking 'discarded food stocks'.

They are good food, they work well for their intended design, but you must ask yourself, if the manufacturer is in McAllen, Texas, and you cannot buy them on the open market in the 'new' state, then how are you acquiring them - and in what shape. If the dates are gone off the box, you have no idea if they are 3-years old, or 10...and how many times they cooked in the sun, before they got to you.

Take a pass, and look at new rations for the same cost.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 18, 2013
I'm happy with the purchase - It arrived with about 3 years and 4 months shelf life left on the box. The box was sealed and has the two straps securing the outside intact. Its a tradeoff for these vs other options that you can get that are almost brand new. These are surplus - so they've been in the field then sold to surplus dealers since they cannot be restocked once they leave the warehouse (due to lack of control for temperature / handling, etc). Being an ex service member, the reality of it is that these are just fine for 4+ years.

That said, please take some advice.

On Amazon, these are a cheaper option, and I think if you're buying them for more immediate term coverage then you're good. If you want something that will have the longest shelf life possible and is of a known quality then you're probably better off buying the ones made for civilian distribution - they're shipped direct from the factory and most of them have 4+ shelf years left on them. (see my other reviews for these)

For my need - throwing a few meals in the Jeep that will be eaten sometime over the next 3-6 months after serving as a back up plan just in case I get stranded - they're perfect. If you're buying these for disaster preparedness you probably should spend a few extra dollars and get something that's of a known quality and history.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 27, 2012
The box was damaged upon arrival. The bags were not vaccume sealed like they are supposed to be, I threw most of them away because the food safety was compromised. For the price you would thing they would take more care in getting you the quality you paid for and deserve.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 23, 2012
only 6 mounths left on shelf life
avertized as current issue
what a crock of s***
do not waste your money
on January 19, 2013
Beware... THE STAMP ON THE BOX SAYS THESE EXPIRE IN 6 MONTHS!! MRE's have a 5 Year Shelf Life, and these are just about there.. Should have heeded the warnings from others..
on December 23, 2012
only had six mounths left on shelf life.
product was avertized as current issue.
this is a rip off.
do not waste your money
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 2, 2014
Excellent! Fast delivery. Compared the box with the many others I have gotten from FEMA, National Guard, and AAFES commissary, and all the same, and all good. Fast delivery but noticed the price jumped up when I returned to this page.
Noticed alot of the complaints are from those who don't know much about these. The military contracts the production of these every 4 years and only keeps them for 4 years. After that they CAN become available for civilian use, if not sent to humanitarian relief, and have a twenty to forty year life (storage temp). So if the dates don't look good on the box, remember these are military standards, (4 years). If they were brand new you wouldn't have access to them. I have eaten MREs from 1983. Still good. Not as many choices but still good. Also, of all the MREs, Sopakco is the best. Any number of companies could get the contract, but I hear the best reviews about Sopakco. My Favorites. Plus you can always just order from Sopakco direct and get newer ones. Mine was inspected April 2014. :)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 20, 2014
Received my Box A MRE Meals 1-12 in a completely sealed box with the TTI (Time and Temperature Indicator) sticker completely intact and still showing that the meals are still fresh. I even taste tested Menu 4 (Maple Sausage) and it was delicious!!! I also attached a photo to "Customer Images" at the bottom showing the Menu's I received. I highly recommend this seller!
review image
on September 17, 2014
MRE review

Package arrived fully intact, two bands and the top flaps sealed. The internal packaging looked factory and untouched. Writing all over it stating it is U.S. Government property and unlawful for commercial resale…I like that.

Zero complaints about package condition or delivery time. These look to be just like the MREs I have seen in the past and authentic U.S. Govt.

Packing slip included this info: Manufacture date 6/2011 insp/test date 6/2014 stored in walk in cooler guaranteed freshness average shelf life 3-5 years. I have had MRE’s well past ten years old and although some items did go bad like cheese sauce and gum, the primary items like entrées were OK to eat. They were not stored in climate controlled place so I’m sure if you keep them out of the heat for most of their life they will be edible for a very long time.

Came with 12 different meals. The meal packs only have what the entre is on them, not a list of the other stuff. There was a condiment pack with instant coffee, creamer, sugar, salt (no pepper sadly, probably because it makes you sneeze…not good in a foxhole), two chicklets gum squares, matches, mini napkins and a moist towelette. There was also a very sturdy plastic spoon that could be re-used.

My food review is based on the fact that these are for “emergency” or light transport use…not expected to be “fine dining”. Also I picked the meal that looked to me to be the hardest to simulate and package or otherwise what I thought would be the worst meal in the dozen.

-Pepperoni pizza crackers=these are “Combos” brand name type snacks. How can they suck?

-Cheese spread with bacon (fortified)=Kind of like that cheese in a spray can stuff or “whiz”. While I don’t normally eat that stuff, I have loved it since childhood. I squirted it on the pizza Combos and it was good.

-Beverage base powder orange=This is what you need the spoon for and also the coffee in this kit. It’s essentially Tang. It clumped up a bit in the bottom of a glass but was ok for what it was. They assume you have a canteen by the way. You need water and MREs do not come with water…but still better than those freeze dried meals that require a lot of water. People sometimes forget that water is the most important supply of all and those freeze dried foods require potable water. Canned foods such as green beans actually come with extra water in the can…saturated with nutrients you can drink.

-Nut and raisin mix: Gave it to my wife, that’s more her thing. No report yet but I imagine it is very acceptable.

-Wheat snack bread twin pack: These are like a soft cracker or a thin dense bread. They seemed to be shaped similar to the beef patty as if you should make a sandwich. I tried that but I heated them in a toaster over and got them too done. They would have been better at room temp. But, they were edible and I ate all of it, but separate from the patty.

-Beef patty, grilled: This is kind of like a canned meat product. It was in a patty shape and smelled a lot like spam, but didn’t really taste like it. It did not appear to have any fake grill marks but I don’t care, if I’m hungry I just want edible food. I also over heated this in the toaster oven and dried it out. There was fluid in the package that would have kept the patty moist if heated in the pouch it came in. I had decided to start saving the heater packs when I sample these at home. So the patty was decent but would have been better I think right out of the package just warmed.

-Barbeque sauce: A sweet barbeque sauce like any other at the supermarket. Pretty standard and good. My preference is a more vinegary BBQ sauce but this is an MRE, can’t be picky in an emergency.

I didn’t try the instant coffee or gum. I can imagine what those taste like. But, even instant coffee is a treat in a real emergency.

So, like my review of the civilian version of MRE recently purchased, I have to give this five stars because the product was exactly as advertised and met my expectations. This is survival/battle/emergency food, and that’s what I expected to get. And the price was fair. As soon as I bought the civilian version of MREs on Amazon the seller jacked the price up. This product will probably do the same since people are starting to sense that our current government may not be watching out for us or tell us of impending natural disasters for fear of the population going crazy ahead of such an event.

Prepare the best you can out there people. Worst case scenario is you have all this stuff and nothing happens. Don’t bankrupt yourself with it though…everything in moderation…foil hats don’t really protect you!
on July 23, 2014
Only 3 months left on exasperation I should have read the description better, it doesn't say if they are new or old stock. The picture shows the band's but the main box is tampered with. If your not looking for long term storage your good. I believe sell is leaving out critical information on purpose