5,078 Reviews
 (4,827)

4,649 of 4,685 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars I actually caved in...
After an adamant boycott of everyone and everything teeny-bopper (aka Hilary Duff and Lindsay Lohan), I decided that maybe I shouldn't be so prejudiced. Maybe these movies are alright.

So I rented "Mean Girls" not expecting too much - just a chick flick with a stupid plot. Boy, was I wrong!

The film could have been bad. Worse than bad - it could have...
Published on October 13, 2004 by Danielle Kuehnel

3.0 out of 5 stars could be more slashing but a decent little satire
Cady Heron is about to experience her first day at school. However, unlike most of us who went through this experience at around five years of age, Ms. Heron is an 11th grader who has spent her whole life living in Africa being home-schooled by her parents. Now that the family has moved to an Illinois suburb, Cady is about to be tossed into the shark-infested waters of...
Published on September 12, 2005 by Roland E. Zwick

4,649 of 4,685 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars I actually caved in..., October 13, 2004

The film could have been bad. Worse than bad - it could have been awful. But it wasn't. It turned the other way, entering the dark world of the Plastics.

Tina Fey shows an excellent grip over satire and comedy in not only her performance, but also her screenplay. I also felt it smart to utilize the talents of other SNL mates, Tim Meadows and the glorious Amy Poehler, who all seem to have excellent chemistry and add so much comedic parts to the film.

Fey portrays high school life in a vicious, yet addicting, satire of the teenage years. There are parts to the film that I think everyone is able to relate to, whether you're at the butt of the joke, or you're the one divvying them out. Either way, you can't help but laugh, or say, "That's so fetch!"

And like I said, a film like this is fragile territory (especially after Lohan's poor film choices lately...), but I feel that all of the actors pulled it off so well.

If you're looking for a light, hilarious satire, look no further than "Mean Girls," and see what everyone's talking about...

3,015 of 3,040 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Mean Girls, January 10, 2006
This was my fourth time watching Mean Girls. I really like it and think it shows the high school scene through a girl's point of view. This movie's about a young girl who enters high school for the very first time. 16-year-old Cady Heron has been home-schooled all her life. Till now that is. She befriends Janis Ian and Damian, who informs her on who is "naughty or nice" in the school. They also tell Cady about, and to stay away from, The Plastics. One day, Cady gets invited to sit with The Plastics for lunch. Regina George, the leader of The Plastics (aka "The Queen Bee") invites Cady to eat with them for the rest of the week. Cady agrees, and then afterwards tells Janis and Damian the news.

When Cady falls for Regina's ex-boyfriend Aaron Samuels, Regina agrees to talk to him for Cady. At a Halloween party, as Regina is talking to Aaron, she inadvertently kisses him. Heartbroken, Cady and her two friends plan to destroy Regina (emotionally of course). They do all kinds of stuff to breakdown Regina's "image".

This is a really good movie with a great cast. Lindsay Lohan plays an outstanding role as Cady. Regina George, played by Rachel McAdams (also starred in The Notebook) is awesome at her role also. Her role was also very believable, as if she was a real life "Plastic".

P.S. When I first saw this movie, I had no idea Rachel McAdams played the part of Regina George. I was in complete shock when I heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good!, February 15, 2006
I came across this movie the other day on tv and since I didn't know anything else to see I decided to watch it, Ofcourse I thought it would be the average lightweight teen high school comedy, but I had never seen any movies with Lindsey Lohan before so I was tempted to see what it was anyway. Boy, I was pleasently surprised!. "Mean Girls" is a very good comedy, both funny and well made and it's better then most other simular high school comedies. Lindsey Lohan also proves to be a great comedy actress just like I heard.

Lindsey plays a girl called Cady Heron who's been living in Africa for the most of her life, but for highschool her family moves back to USA and she starts highschool there, Lindsay Lohan plays a teen girl trying to get along at a new high school with "rules" that are completely diffrent from what she was used to. She first meets 2 outsiders (Damian and Janis) But Her first experience at the new school is marred by a bunch of nasty girls called the Plastics, three very popular but crude girls (Regina, Karen and Gretchen), they are indeed mean and their prime task is to ruin the life of other girls with gossip, and other mean tecniques. Eventually she gots into the Plastics group but keeps her 2 first friends, in order to reveal dark secrets from the Plastics. Cady falls in love with Regina's ex boyfriend Aaron and there's where the problem starts. What started as a "game", is becoming a plan to destroy Regina.

This is a great comedy, funny, well made, and exciting. Go see it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing and UNcliched look at high school life (and beyond), April 12, 2006
eric_f (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
I had heard good things about this movie but never realized just how good it was until I saw it for myself. "Mean Girls" explores familiar territory and doesn't break any new ground, but the excellent and intelligent script make it stand out and exceed other similar movies such as "Jawbreaker." Most importantly, this movie touches on the subject of our need for acceptance and oftentimes, the temptation of belonging, even if what we want to belong to isn't necessarily good for us. This applies to everyone, at any age, in any setting. "Mean Girls" uses high school as the backdrop, but its message applies anywhere.

And this movie will also give you a newfound respect for Lindsay Lohan's acting ability, as she is very believable in her role. I wasn't expecting much from her but was pleasantly surprised as to how well she pulled off her role. This is by far her best film.

All in all, a great movie worth owning. Great DVD too...lots of bonus material and a great transfer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, Clever, Refreshing View of Teen Film Genre, April 4, 2006
It seems in all stereotypical films about high school life and teenagers, there's the popular Alpha-girl group, the Queen Bee being prettiest, most glamorous girl in school but also the meanest. Usually the main character of the film suffers at the hands of the Mean Popular Queen Bee, always an outsider waiting to be persecuted at any moment.

This film is no exception, but it offers a sharp, clever, refreshing takeoff on this much-used theme in teen movies. And for the first time, we see a girl who finds herself accepted into the Alpha-girl group, only to still suffer at the hands of the Queen Bee, even as an insider.

The story is also downright funny. Tina Fey did an excellent job with the script and in her role as the math teacher.

The fact that Cady is a total innocent when she's dropped into the hormone-crazed world of high school and the Plastics makes even a greater impact, because we can see her innocence corrupted by the heady, seductive pull of popularity and power. Yet she never quite loses her innocence and her ideals; Cady is still part observer, part participant who gets lost along the way, but learns some important lessons about life in the end and becomes a better, wiser person as a result.

The audience is made painfully aware of the strict rules and social classes that govern high school life, because it is in such sharp contrast to the innocent, blank slate accepting attitude that home-schooled Cady brings with her on that first day of high school. We've all had yearnings of being in the popular group, myself included, but after viewing this film, I'm glad I belonged to the Art/Drama/Politically Active Intellectual Crowd instead of the Popular Alpha Girl Clique. That world was once offered to me--but I wisely refused, because I had already found my niche with the Drama/Art students, and being in the Alpha Girl Group no longer had the appeal it once had, as it became associated with superficial, empty-headed jocks and cheerleaders.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Is butter a carb?", March 30, 2006
Jabberwocky (Elsewhere, USA) - See all my reviews
Recently I saw Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, and thought it sucked big time. But what I found so interesting was the closeness in topic between the two movies. It made me ponder why Mean Girls succeeded while Confessions failed.

First, Mean Girls has a funny, smart, crisp script due to Tina Fey. I don't watch Saturday Night Live, so I don't know how funny she is, but she sure wrote a gem here.

Second, Lohan has a worthy adversary in Rachel McAdams (Regina). McAdams is a genuinely good actress as opposed to the broad in Confessions whose name I don't know and don't really care to know. By Rachel McAdams' roles in Red Eye, The Notebook, Wedding Crashers, and the Family Stone, she is certainly an actress to be on the watch for. I predict she will win an Oscar eventually.

Third, Lohan doesn't have to carry the movie on her own. She has legitimate talent around her. I am not expert enough to truly gauge Lohan's talent; therefore I don't know if she would have the acting chops to be a profound leading actress or if she will forever live in mediocre teenage/romantic comedy hell.

Anyway, the girl who plays Janis Ian and the guy who plays Damian are great as supporting cast to Lindsay.

Mean Girls isn't some dumb movie that aspires to mediocrity just because it's catered to teenagers. It's smart.

P.S. The guy who plays Kevin Gnapoor is hilarious! "I'd rather see you out there shaking that thang!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Has it really been two years already????, April 30, 2006
Helpless 'Mean Girls' addict "Celebrating two... (The World of Wonderful Stuff – population: 'Mean Girls') - See all my reviews
Exactly two years ago today, what IS and probably always WILL BE the most amazing, most delightful thing in the history of the universe was released to the theaters nationwide only to blow the socks off of thousands of viewers, thus contributing to its Eighty-million dollar plus box office success. `Mean Girls' is just one of those films that seems to have been made to do nothing except please the viewer. It is sensational in just about every category of the senses: sight, sound, etc. It is also extremely addicting and very, very comforting. I mean, there's something about it that's just... magical. The first thing that comes to mind when I think `Mean Girls' is cotton candy. For the most part, they are really not that much different. They're both fluffy, sweet, colorful, and soft, and fun. Another thing that comes to mind when I think of this movie is being stranded somewhere in the arctic South with no coat, a pair of Bermuda shorts, and perhaps some sandals. I am literally freezing to my death, but then, out of nowhere, the polar bear that is `Mean Girls' comes and squeezes me snugly, thus keeping me cozy and warm enough to not only survive, but have this feeling that I am actually AT Bermuda (at least until help arrives).

There is something about this movie that almost makes you feel as if you are literally floating atop a cloud in the heavens. It may not seem like it at first, but this is so much more than just a "chick flick", or a teeny-bopper movie, or an "average" high school movie. I'm not even sure where to begin. A film like this could provide a great instructional tool for any one of the following courses at the post-secondary schooling level (despite the fact that around 85% of the film deals with this level). Such courses might include Women's Studies, Ethnic Studies, Sociology, Psychology, Popular Culture, and, of course, Mathematics. I say Women's Studies because it provides an in-depth observation of same-gender relations as they occur between girls within this age range. I say Ethnic Studies due its multicultural cast. In other words, there seems to be a character from just about every culture from which one can think: Caucasian, African-American, Vietnamese, Lebanese, Puerto-Rican, etc. I say Psychology because it explores the behavior of these individuals in their adolescent years. The Popular Cultural aspect takes a look at what type of music they listen, some well-known celebrities and singers, and, in general, how they keep themselves entertained. As for Mathematics, we have the main character whose favorite subject seems to be Calculus, a math competition between two state schools, and this aspect of the film manages to incorporate itself well into the plot.

As I was glancing through some of the reviews, I couldn't help but stumble upon one which mentioned the fact that the film's script was based off a book (nonfiction) entitled "Queen Bees and Wannabees" by Rosalind Wiseman. I also noticed that in this same review, the author mentions that the film covers the basics of the information found there, but does not explore how the personalities of these individuals, some of which are directly parallel to the main characters in the film, are allowed to synthesize themselves. However, it is important to keep in the following in mind: This movie is a comedy, as opposed to say, a documentary. Its purpose is to ENTERTAIN the viewer (simply by demonstrating the personalities), not EDUCATE the viewer through an amalgamation of factual information and interviews based off of such relations. While the film does seem to possess a high degree of educational value, there is just so much to treasure about this film and there is a numerical quantity of reasons why it is just... a legend... a priceless jewel... a movie to end all movies. There's just so much to love about this movie that it's not even funny. For starters, as one of the previous reviewers mentioned, there is something delightfully misleading about the film's title. I had checked out the film a while ago, thinking that the film itself would be spiteful, vicious, and just downright heartless and cruel, but it somehow managed to be the direct opposite of ALL those things. If anything, it is ANTI-mean. A couple of examples include the scene where Janis Ian confronts Cady Heron after the second party scene, and then we have the queen of mean, Regina George, getting hit by a school bus. Going along with that incident, the film seems to illustrate the golden rule, and it does so with efficacy. Examples include a successful revenge against Regina by Janis, and then we have Jason, the character who throws a shoe in the face of Damian, getting knocked in the face with a stereo (accidentally). Furthermore, the film also seems to demonstrate a level of social mobility, one of the reasons why I said that it might be suitable for a group of students interested in sociology, in that we have Cady, the new student, who starts out knowing nothing about the DO's and DON'T's of being mainstream-schooled, but then at a later point, winds up in a position of authority with regards to the Student Activities Committee. I mean, it's just... incredible... an absolutely delicious surprise... you just have to see it to believe it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wickedly hilarious!!, May 8, 2006
Kara "K" (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
I did not think that I would find this movie so amusing. Lindsay Lohan and the rest of the Plastics did a great job at making me feel hilariously sorry for the high school population. It is witty and funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's with suddenly jacked-up review ratings?, February 13, 2006
Shawna Ride (E. Essenne, Tennessee) - See all my reviews
The previous time I checked (and for a long time before), the "most helpful" reviews of MEAN GIRLS were hanging in or slowly increasing in the 50s or so range of "helpful votes". Then suddenly today I looked and the "most helpful reviews" of MEAN GIRLS show over a thousand "helpful" votes for the highest and hundreds of "helpful votes" for many others. As for the now "most helpful" reviewer, who said he "caved in" and saw the movie, one can only wonder if a bunch of his friends also caved in and flooded the site with votes; only it wouldn't just be for him; so many other OLD and NEW reviews suddenly far exceed the 50-some votes held by the reviews most highly rated just awhile back. And those last-mentioned reviews ARE probably the most intelligent ones, I think, and their ratings have hardly increased. Some of the most insightful comments were by those reviewers, including Robyn Jamil-Walid, Tanya Jasmine Tucker and Ashley Judd (probably NOT the actress by the same name; the review is way too smart).

As for the movie, I suspect it has a good chance of being sadly, Lindsay Lohan's last really good movie. It came out about when a firestorm of Lindsay-bashing was suddenly becoming the in thing. Whether the bashing was at all deserved, it's sad as it will no doubt affect how Lindsay will be perceived as an actress and what roles she'll get. MEAN GIRLS may be the last time her talents will be appreciated for what they are in casting. And if her alleged spiral of self-destructive behavior, starting about the same time the film came out, is really anything that it's cracked-up to be, it will sadly adversely affect her in various ways, including probably her acting ability.

One can hope Lindsay will recover some of her remarkable acting talent and appreciation for it for what it is, but if not, that is all the more reason to cherish this movie for possibly the zenith of her career. This is Lindsay at her best, for all said by one mysteriously enormously highly raated review, that calls it "so not Lindsay". Her performance is likeable as a not perfect, but generally good-willed high school student struggling to fit in with no prior experience in formal schooling. But also essential to making the movie work are performances as the other students, most notably Regina, Gretchen, Karen, Janis and Damian, but some students with only bit parts are also quite impressive. They form an image of high school that I dare say many of us can relate to, even if criticisms that the movie is less that squeakily realistic are judged to have some value. If one's memories of high school include being tormented by "queen bee" types like Regina, then one must surely find this film gratifying. If one does not so relate, one must, to be honest, suspect that that person WAS more like such a "queen bee" type, in which case such a person also deserves to see this movie, even if it hurts.

If there is a weak point in the movie it is in Tina Fey's unfortunate decision to be both the screen writer and the one who plays the character she most set out to make the film's voice of wisdom. The results of trying to make her character that are faltering at best, and indeed lend credibility to the criticism in one review that the movie is Tina Fey's vanity project.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lindsay's face would make a great kissing post., May 10, 2006
I saw this movie in my Linear Algebra class and I'm sorry, but it's just ADORABLE. When I saw this movie, I had a particularly difficult time concentrating on the plot and whatnot. I was too busy focusing on two things: one, how breathtakingly bewitching Ms. Lohan's "Cady" was; and two, how this movie so brilliantly incorporates the subject matter of Mathematics, more specifically Calculus, into its storyline. It wasn't just solely because of aesthetic qualities that I found Ms. Lohan's "Cady" attractive, it was because she liked Math and understood the subject that I just couldn't help but feel attracted to her.

This is a really cute movie with a really cute cast. There is one scene in this movie that just... just takes a blowtorch and applies it directly to your heart, melting it like butter somewhere in the middle of Central Africa. That scene would have to be the one where Ms. Lohan's "Cady" quickly develops a crush on a character sitting directly in front of her in Calculus class, a character by the name of "Aaron Samuels." I found this scene particularly touching for two key reasons: one, it happens during Calculus class, and two, it was Ms. Lohan's "Cady's" first cruch since she was five years old (when the story begins, she is sixteen). It is tough not to admit that that is admirable. However, I guess at this point, the viewer becomes fully aware of what it would take to get the heart racing of even the most stationary of students, that is, another student whose attractiveness rivals that of even the most expensive jewlery.

As for Ms. Lohan's "Cady" herself, I found her particularly fun to stare at, especially her face. I mean, it's just so clean, and clear.... CRYSTAL clear.... and shiny (you can actually SEE the light bouncing right off of it), and just downright beautiful, especially when she smiles. She's also got some really nice cheeks; As far as I am concerned, they are absolutely perfect! In fact, just the thought of kissing them is enough to make one's mouth water! If there's anything to complain about here, then it is the fact that the performer doesn't seem to have as many freckles on her face, as in previous films in which she has starred, such as "Get a Clue," or "The Parent Trap." As a matter of fact, the only time that one observes any freckles on her face at all is during the scenes in the math classroom where she is seen thinking about "Mr. Samuels."

For the most part, this film reminded me of when I took AP Calculus AB in high school. We covered the basics: limits, derivatives, and integrals. The only thing that was slightly different was the mention of geometric series, a topic which, at least in my experience, is not covered until one takes Calculus II at the collegiate level. Other things I noticed were the bringing of donuts to class by the instructor, which reminded me of those optional Saturday morning classes, which were geared towards preparing us, students, for the AP Calc. AB exam, and the scene where two state schools are having a competition of some kind, which, unlike the one that WE were supposed to have, covers questions spanning material from both the AP Calc. AB exam AND the SAT.

The scene that I enjoyed just SLIGHTLY less than the other two is the one where Ms. Lohan's "Cady" tricks Aaron into being alone with her by having him "tutor" her in Calculus. This results in the two of them sharing a three-and-a-half second kiss, after it was thought that the "tutoring" was shaping out to be a success. If there's anything that could have possibly made this any sweeter or cuter, then it is a scenario in which the the kiss would have lasted a little longer... probably about six more seconds. Another thing I would change is to have one scene where Ms. Lohan's "Cady" is kissing Aaron with her hair in a ponytail, because something about her hair being in a ponytail just makes her look so SO cute that it's not even funny, and I have a feeling that kissing her in this state would be a much more pleasurable experience as well. On the other hand, why be greedy? After all, it IS the thought that counts, and if anything, it teaches us how to be thankful for what it is that we do have.

P.S.: The product of two negative integers is ALWAYS a positive number, not sometimes...

Mean Girls