Published on February 29, 2012 by JoeAZ92

3.0 out of 5 stars Same ol', same ol'...
Was hoping for more out of SBR but IMO this record is just more of the same ol' "music" being pumped out to the masses. Less is more. Do something unique. I wish the best for SBR. FWIW, Listen is my favorite track on the album.
Published on February 28, 2012 by musickfreak

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid, enjoyable second release despite a couple minor overarching issues, February 29, 2012
This review is from: Mean What You Say (MP3 Music)
Tooth & Nail rock band Sent By Ravens is back with their sophomore release, Mean What You Say, successfully building off of the foundation laid by their debut, Our Graceful Words. I was never especially impressed with their first album; although I enjoyed most of the songs, only a couple of them really stood out. Mean What You Say definitely improves upon the band's past endeavors and as such, Sent By Ravens delivers a solid second release.

Sent By Ravens waste no time in hitting you hard with the rock as "Prudence" explodes onto the scene. The song lacks any sense of smoothness as it begins and ends rather abruptly, but it's still an enjoyably solid opener. "Listen" follows as another heavy-hitting rocker and is a much stronger song overall. "Rebuild, Release," like "Prudence," begins a little abruptly but quickly gains its momentum with some solid guitar work and ends up being another good track. "Learn From the Night" lands some solid melodic punches while the title track drives home a solid message about the sometimes destructive power of our words.

"However Long It Takes" seems to try too hard to mimic the melodic qualities of "Learn From the Night," and as such it doesn't quite measure up, though it's still a good track. "Need It Today" succeeds with its punchy guitars and drums, while the following piano-led song, "Never Be Enough," is an atmospheric display of the band's softer side, especially highlighting some of lead singer Zach Riner's most poignant vocals. Current single "We're All Liars" brings it back to the relentlessly hard rock, and finally, "Best In Me" closes the album out with another meaningful softer track.

The main issue I have with Mean What You Say is simply its overall lack of flow. As I've already mentioned, some of the songs begin a little too abruptly, especially the blistering "We're All Liars," which, although it is a great song, feels jarring in its place between the album's two softest tracks (which are also very good). The album also ends very quickly with a painfully short running time of 32 minutes. The songs are mostly very good, though, so these issues definitely do not prevent the album from being worth listening to.

Sent By Ravens offer a solid follow-up release with Mean What You Say. Most of the songs are very good, and although it doesn't get through its short running time very smoothly, it's a thoroughly enjoyable and heavy-hitting rock album. If you're into this sort of music or enjoy other similar artists on Tooth & Nail's roster, you should definitely check out Sent By Ravens' latest.

Top Highlights: "Learn From the Night," "Listen," "Mean What You Say"

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best in the genre!, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Mean What You Say (MP3 Music)
I already knew I would like the band from the singles I'd heard from both this and the last album, but just never got around to purchasing either one until this album. To say it's one of the best albums I've heard in years probably doesn't even begin to sum it up. Every song on this album is a gem, and it's truly a first for me to have an album in my collection where I've rated 80% of the songs 5/5 stars. Even my favorite groups Chevelle, Red and 30 Seconds to Mars don't have albums with this many 5 star songs on them. My personal favorite has to be "Mean What You Say," which honestly has to be the first time ever that the song which the album is named after ends up being great, much less my favorite song on the album. Many songs remind me of other favorite bands of mine including 30 Seconds to Mars and 10 Years, but provide a more positive message than either of those two bands usually do.

My only complaint is that the album is too short, but honestly I've listened to this over 2 dozen times in the last week alone since I bought it and can't imagine stopping any time soon. Quality over quantity in my book, and this album completely delivers on that mantra!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, February 5, 2014
This review is from: Mean What You Say (MP3 Music)
This is another great release from Sent by Ravens. I like this album even more than I liked the first.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite album by these guys, May 28, 2014
This review is from: Mean What You Say (Audio CD)
There isn't a single song on this album that I don't like. Very rare for me to find an album like that.

5.0 out of 5 stars great album, January 30, 2014
This review is from: Mean What You Say (Audio CD)
We bought the album after attending their concert in Houston.
They are a great band with a very unique sound!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, September 14, 2013
This review is from: Mean What You Say (MP3 Music)
This album is great and the best I have heard in a long time. Five stars is worth it.

See Ya

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet!, August 10, 2013
This review is from: Mean What You Say (MP3 Music)
Mature sound, yet that undeniable sound of SBR. So sad that it was their last one for a while; praying they get together for another tour soon!!

5.0 out of 5 stars love !, March 6, 2013
This review is from: Mean What You Say (MP3 Music)
These guys are great! Love the lyrics. They r deep and make u think. Love Christian rock! This guys are awesome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Too Bad This May Be Their Last Album, February 28, 2013
This review is from: Mean What You Say (MP3 Music)
Bought this for my kids who listened to this group on RadioU. Very good group! Too bad we just found out they are no longer together. Makes you wonder how groups that sound so good and yet seem to not last long after releasing a good album. 3 or 4 pretty good songs on here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Soon to be great, February 22, 2013
D. J. Eshelman (Fort Collins, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mean What You Say (MP3 Music)
I think this band has great potential. Similar to Red, but I like these guys better right now. Better guitars, less symphonic. More raw.

Most of the time the lyrics are agreeable, but there can be a little bit of Emo, but it's not horrible. Vocally, they are strong but honestly given the melodic nature of the music I was expecting less shouting and more harmony. But just because I was expecting it doesn't mean it should have been that way. There's a raw 'live' quality to the vocals that I find myself more and more drawn to with subsequent listening. It's shouting the message that life isn't perfect, but still approaches Christianity from an approachable and practical standpoint. I like that.

I did find it a little obvious at times. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. The drummer should probably workshop some new patterns, for example.
The guitars and bass are well produced, melodic and properly aggressive for the genre.
Vocals are solid enough, but could use some seasoning.

"Listen" is a fantastic track, as is the re-release of "Best in Me"
The title track sounds as if The Killers, Red and Amberlin had been merged into one song. It's not bad, though the synth caught me off guard a bit... yet I can't picture the song without it.
"Need it Today" is also one my favorite tracks, especially lyrically. He really opens up and it works.
"We're All Liars" has the anthemic nature that makes me wonder if it was originally considered for the title track. It's a great message too.

This album has been mastered very well, which surprised me a little.

Bottom line- this is a buy. And I'll be watching for more in the future from these guys.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Mean What You Say
Mean What You Say by Sent by Ravens (Audio CD - 2012)
Rate and Discover Movies