5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!
Loved this book! A great story that was pure entertainment and held my attention from page one. I will definitely be looking for more books from this same author....keep 'em coming!
Published on January 19, 2012 by Donette

Extremely basic synopsis for those not wanting to read my entire review: It feels like the author had several ideas for excellent horror books and tried to fit ALL those ideas into one novel, with some negative results.

Published 16 months ago by Calamity Jane

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, January 19, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Taut, Creepy and Impossible to Put Down, December 20, 2011
J.C. Mogensen (Saint Cloud, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meany (Paperback)
This is definitely a "one more chapter book," as in "just one more chapter before I go to bed." Next thing you know, it's 2AM and you're knee-deep in thrills and turning the page as fast as you can. The horror, the characters, the pacing - everything is so well-crafted it's hard to believe this is the first book by Peazy Monellon. I highly recommend it, but plan on being tired the day after you get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My not so MEANY review..., January 19, 2012
This review is from: Meany (Kindle Edition)
This was a very interesting, didn't want to put it down kind of story. I am quite impressed that it is from a first time author. I believe there is a lot of potentially great books coming our way from Peazy and I will definitely keep an eye out for more of her writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edge of your seat, creepy!, December 15, 2011
This review is from: Meany (Paperback)
I could not put this book down! Amazing book for a first time author! I don't know what it is but reading horror through a child's eyes makes everything so much creepier. Watch out for this up and coming author, Peazy Monellon!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too many excellent story ideas stuffed into one book, overwhelming the reader, May 8, 2013
This review is from: Meany (Kindle Edition)

If you are still reading, then here is the detailed review. This book does not quite live up to all of the hype in my opinion; however, I don't dislike it either. It is an average book that could have been great but fell short in places. There are some inconsistencies with some of the characters, some plot elements require the reader to suspend belief beyond a comfortable range, and at times, too many subplots are happening at once which muddles the story line.

The inconsistencies with some of the characters: the two little girls act and think as one would expect two little girls to act and think, but not consistently. At times, they showed a teenage to adult comprehension with both their thought processes and actions. Because of this, I was unable to form a clear picture in my mind of what these girls 'look' like. That's problematic for any reader when they are unable to really visualize a character. The author did do a good job with the development of the other major characters to her credit; however, as the story really revolves around the two little girls, it's these characters that the readers need to connect with the most.

As for suspension of belief beyond a comfortable range. Native American culture, regardless of tribe, is not vengeful, spiteful or evil in nature. For those not familiar with Native American culture and practices, a suspension of belief may not be required; however, readers that do have even a basic knowledge and understanding of Native American culture and their belief systems may find some portions of the plot difficult to process, regardless of the fact that this book is fiction. Even fiction books require some elements of non-fiction for the reader to connect to, and as this is the connecting thread throughout the novel, the consequences of this are unavoidable. There are other portions of the main plot that can be hard to swallow; specifically the issue with the water (pardon the pun). While this may have worked perfectly on it's own, there are too many other issues facing this family and their plot of land; therefore, the issue with the water seemed over the top and not all that relevant to the storyline, truth be told. It could be removed fairly easily.

To clarify my statement that too many subplots are going on at one time muddying the storyline, I would have to give specific examples and I am not looking to provide spoilers within this review. The most I can say to clarify this without giving too much away is that it appears, at times, like the author wasn't completely sure which subplot she wanted to focus on, which translates into her readers being unsure which subplot to focus on.

Yet despite this list of complaints, I did not dislike this book. Quite the contrary. I did enjoy reading it. It is, for the most part, quite well-edited (a pet peeve of mine) and there are many parts of the book that do flow smoothly. There were also periods within the book where I found myself sufficiently spooked. While I wouldn't rate this higher than an average read, I certainly wouldn't be too hasty in placing it in the 'dump' pile either. The book does have it's redeeming qualities.

While there are parts of the book that could use some fleshing out, and areas where various subplots could be narrowed down significantly to make the book flow more smoothly throughout, I have no qualms in recommending this book to other readers. It may not be extraordinary, but if you are looking for a decent, rather chilling read to pass the time, this book may well be for you; however, if you are the type of reader that wants and expects perfection, or close to it, you may want to give this book a pass.

With that said, I will read more of this author's works should she continue to publish. There are best-selling authors out there who have written some downright horrible books, much to the surprise of their fan base. Writing is an art form. And while not all of an artists creations are perfect gallery specimens, neither is every book an author writes. There is talent within these pages and I suspect that future books may improve upon some of the complaints that I, and some other readers share, and may very well exceed our expectations in her future works. So give Meany a try. And even if you end up not caring for Meany, I'm certain that readers will recognize that the author has talent. For lovers of the horror genre, this is an author to keep an eye on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised!, January 19, 2012
This review is from: Meany (Kindle Edition)
Not only is this an interesting, pulls you in and grabs you story, it has great imagination and is very artfully written! I truly missed the characters for days after finishing the book. This author is definitely one that I plan to follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good and Interesting Story, February 8, 2012
Amy (Williamsville, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meany (Kindle Edition)
This was a good book, it is well written and interesting, however I was expecting a cozy horror/haunting story. Though it is about a haunted house, I would not consider this "cozy". The first half of the book contains graphic details of child and animal abuse, so I would not suggest this book to people that are sensitive to that subject. The second half of the book was not so bad and all in all I will give this book four stars out of five.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read., April 18, 2013
This review is from: Meany (Paperback)
I really enjoyed the story "Meany". Peazy made you truly hate the father, and feel for the mother and children. While I dislike books where children are in distress, this novel told you a story that could be happening right now. It makes you realize that we should be watching the children around us, and if we feel something is wrong, help, so that real life doesn't end like stories often do. Good job on your first novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary, Creepy, Wonderful, October 20, 2011
This review is from: Meany (Kindle Edition)
Make sure you have a nightlight before you start this creepy, well-written thrill ride. Peazy Monellon is one to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meany is a must read!, December 30, 2011
This review is from: Meany (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't go to bed until I finished this very scary novel. Great characters and a wonderful plot make this a must read for anyone who enjoys the nightime supernatural terrors. I look forward to seeing alot more from Peazy.

Meany