Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on March 18, 2013
I just recently got into watches when I received a watch box as a gift for the Kenneth Cole's that I own.

I bought a Seiko SNA411 flightmaster and of course went looking for more watches and came across this.

For $20 you really can't go wrong. Even if it broke after a week. In a day that's a different story.

Just opened the thing a couple of minutes ago.

First impression is that it's pretty damn nice. I mean for a novelty watch. I could stare at this for a good while.

Watch band like everyone else says is junk and super stiff. To their benefit I do believe it is real leather...maybe turkey leather? Would rather see a cheap black nylon band because at least that would be harder to mess up. In fact if they totally ditched the leather band and just sold the watch to drop another 5 cents on steel I'd be happier.

Came without anything moving which it should be since no one's probably wound it. And since I'm a newbie to all of this I tried spinning the dial and nothing in both directions. Pulled out the dial and tried to set the time and the wheels started spinning but stopped after a couple of seconds. NO directions. So googled how to wind watch. so while the dial is pushed in you spin the dial clockwise or with the top of the dial going "into the ground". The pin will give you some tension and away it should go.

By the way the dial feels really cheap So take care.

Also found a small bit of what looks like a string of leather or thread inside the watch. I'd open the case up to take it out but don't want to risk it breaking. The case back is a screw type btw.

For me, if this thing can tell time for a straight month then I'll get my money's worth. If it dies before then well it's only $20. If you are looking for a good quality skeleton then look to a name brand (Sturhling looks to be a step up to this but I've never owned one and that brand comes with it's own bad reviews because it's a chinese maker with a fictional back story).

I've seen a Kenneth Cole Skeleton and that looked pretty good. I like my Kenneth Cole's a lot and they have lasted about 8 years with special occasion usage but those are quartz. But my reasoning is is that Kenneth Cole would prefer that you didn't have a bad experience....so yeah... But who knows. Moving parts are bound to break.

Bottomline: If you won't miss $20 go ahead and buy this just for kicks. If you will miss it then look elsewhere and don't take the gamble.

Update #1:
Have had this for a week and it's keeping time like a champ. Minute off from the atomic clock in colorado when I set it last night. It's been about 28 hours now. Since it is manual wind it will vary from person to person but to kind of keep track of how I wind it I've been resting the dial on top of the side of my pointer finger and then just pushing the dial forward with my thumb as far as my thumb can go. That way I can keep track of how many full thumb strokes I need to do. I did 15 last night. At around 15 it gets a little scary because of the tension feedback. But didn't break yet!

Also the band softened up quite a bit. Probably pretty stiff once I received it because it is winter weather right now and was cold. But that doesn't mean the leather is a nice quality. It's just more liveable.
11 comment49 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2012
I've had this watch for about 5 months now. If you know how to wind/care for mechanical watches you should be fine.
The only down-side are the straps. They are somewhat cheaply made, but nonetheless the watch looks awesome.
Overall its a good watch specially for the price given.
0Comment25 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2013
Made sure to wind it properly and worked well the first day, but the next day it would not tick anymore.
on April 21, 2013
I have this watch for 4 months now, keeps good time. Have been complimented on many occasions on its looks.
Changed the band after a while, as the original band was crap. Would recommend it.
on September 20, 2013
The item is falsely advertised by the seller to include a "leather" band and in some cases is advertised at a discount. The watch is shoddy and manufactured in China, there is no way that it is being marked down from a higher price. Do not waste your money purchasing from this seller.
0Comment18 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2014
Great watch! remember that you have to wind it every 24 hours. Its nice though it makes you really appreciate it! Plus it looks amazing:D
review image review image
on June 27, 2013
Broke within the first 7 days of having the watch, would not stay wound - winding knob "unwound" itself as soon as you let go of the knob. Still trying to get ESS to issue a refund - just had to send them a video(!) of the problem before they would approve the return.
11 comment10 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2012
This is the first skeleton watch I've owned and I was eager to get it. However, for various reasons, I've been disappointed with the watch's performance. I am aware the watch is not quartz and, as such, it's necessary to wind it. However, even when it's wound, it frequently stops and I have to tap on the dial to get it working again. Even when it's wound and is running, it often loses time. The instructions suggest winding it once a day, but I find myself having to wind it more often most days. It is reasonably priced for a skeleton watch, it's decorative and I enjoy watching the gears turn. However, as a timepiece, I find it lacking.
22 comments23 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2013
This article is of very poor quality, to put it immediately stops working, it is not very expensive but if used should not put on sale
on March 11, 2015
This was a delight to receive. The watch is a true time piece. It is beautiful and well made. It will be an everyday wearer. I think of my dad's old watch when I look at it.
review image