5.0 out of 5 stars Afghanistan Tested
Published 20 months ago by JDS556762

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for you car, not for the military.
Published on April 13, 2011 by P. E. Rankin

5.0 out of 5 stars Afghanistan Tested, January 9, 2013
Wore these for about 6 months on the last half of my tour in Afghanistan. I am an Infantry squad leader and was CONSTANTLY on dissmounted patrols and involved in many many firefights, these gloves withstood everything the Talib had to throw at me, and I beat the hell out of them. THey're light, breath well, and far surpass ANYTHING the US Gov has issued me over the past 9 years and 3 deployments. If these tore from wear and tear, which they haven't really yet (maybe some nicks here and there from c-wire) I'd order a set instantly again. Love these things, they're thin enough where you can manipulate small screws, or weapons optics, PEQ 15's etc without feeling lke you need to cut the fingers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tacticool..need I say more, October 29, 2011
This review is from: Mechanix Wear MG-72-009 Original Glove, Coyote, Medium (Tools & Hardware)
First go to Mechanix website and print off the size chart and buy the right size. I have been buying too big of gloves for too long because I thought I had manly large hands...well I only have medium manly hands. I didn't believe the chart so went to a home store tried on the Mechanix gloves in medium and they fit 100 x better than the large.

I bought the Camo, all black (stealth) and the coyote of these Mechanix gloves so I can be tacticool!

I use them at the shooting range, I use them on cold days as driving gloves. None of the home stores around had the 3 tacticool colors, plus they are cheaper on amazon.com.

Now only if they made a pair in multi-cam so when the zombies come at me, they think to themselves...man that guy is all geared out and really cool looking. Then I place one between their eyes due to my awesome weapon control because I am wearing these cool gloves. Plus these gloves will keep your hands clean so when you rescue that hotty from being eaten you can take your gloves off and shake her hand and not worry about giving her cooties.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice tactical glove., January 24, 2010
I recently bought these to replace my last set of tactical gloves that had worn out. I use these while in the field, general tasks, and shooting. The biggest advantage of these gloves over others I have used is that these actually last longer during heavy use. If you are wearing these everyday, expect these to last at least 45 days. That is quite a bit longer than standard flight gloves, which usually last me around 30 days, sometimes less.

Good features: Leather bottom is thin enough to still feel trigger finger. I can also manipulate and use a laptop, radio and other small electronic devices like GPS while wearing them. The top is breathable, and allows my hand to feel cooler than either flight gloves or my last pair of black hawk tactical gloves. The velcro is the new type of velcro that is non abrasive, hard plastic. This is good because it doesn't wear out as fast nor does it melt as easily as gen I velcro.

Negatives: Not as tight fitting around my fingers as I prefer. The thumb cut should be deeper, when I open my palm the material is tight between my pointing finger and thumb. If you use a firearm with a thick diameter grip such as a Beretta M92F, and your gloves are tight, this could be annoying and reduce accuracy by making an unnatural grip feel. Also the gloves have an annoyingly placed, very large tag on the side, it looks like ass when you cut it off too.

5.0 out of 5 stars I hate gloves, but these are nice!, May 23, 2012
I do a lot of heavy silly things with my hands, and tear them up something awful. People gripe at me about it and the thing I hear the most is, "Why didn't you wear gloves!"

I don't like gloves because I can't FEEL things with them on.

This weekend, we'll be out on the trail busting back overgrowth and thinning out some dead and dying trees. It'll be hard work, with the potential for lots of abrasions and lacerations. Last night when I got these in the mail, my first thought was, "I'm going to destroy these gloves."

They are soft, and feel very thin. The sizing chart on the Mechanix page gave me a perfect size, and when I rubbed my fingers together, I could feel things. It was awesome. So awesome that I wore them when I punched together a new camp axe sheath with awl and waxed thread.

I am going to destroy these gloves, but I figure that's what gloves are for. When I take them off after the work is done, my hands and fingers will be happier.

Comfortable, flexible, breathable, with a perfect fit from the sizing chart on the mechanix page.

Thin, soft material makes it a fair bet that heavy landscaping, fabricating, barbed wire manipulation or rebar/concrete work is going to mean getting another pair later.

I will be getting another pair later. I love these gloves.

Update 5/30/2012:

After a weekend of chucking logs, stacking woodpiles, splitting wood, pulling weeds, chopping back foliage, and sweating on them in 90+ degree weather, I'd say these are keepers. Not a hole, nor a frayed thread to be seen. They fit like a second skin. I didn't destroy them after all. :D

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for you car, not for the military., April 13, 2011
P. E. Rankin "That Guy." (Sioux Falls, SD United States) - See all my reviews
Took a chance on these for use in the military, as they're thin enough to give you some tactile sensation while protecting your fingers. However, don't expect to be able to haul yourself up a rope, navigate an obstacle course, etc. The interior gripping portion is simply too slick for heavy work. Let me be specific: I wore them on an obstacle course during a recent training event and I simply could not get a grip on certain obstacles, such as the rope climb, and anything requiring me to lift my entire body weight. Once I took them off, I was able to easily climb the ropes, do the "monkey bars", etc., and complete the course. They work great in many situations, when you need to be able to feel what your fingers are doing, but that's about it. So, three stars. Great for their intended use, just be careful how far you push it with these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Shooting Glove I've Ever Used, February 16, 2012
I bought a pair of these after a brand new $70 pair of Wiley-X hard knuckle "combat" gloves split along the seam on a finger JUST FROM LOADING MAGAZINES AT THE RANGE. Not even under anything close to combat conditions. Forget Wiley-X. These Mechanix Wear originals are BY FAR the best shooting gloves I have ever used. They fit my hands perfectly, as if they were custom tailored (I wear a medium in these - most other gloves are too small in medium and too big in large). I know it sounds likes I'm trying to sell these things, but seriously, they are awesome. They provide more dexterity and tactile sensation than anything I have tried before, including Wiley-X, Oakley and Blackhawk brand combat/shooting gloves. You are going to trade some protection for that dexterity and tactile sensation but IMO it's well worth it. Rarely have I been in a situation where I wished my gloves were thicker or more protective, but many times I have been in a situation where I struggled to manipulate a magazine release or bolt release b/c my gloves were so damn heavy. These are light-weight and not flame resistant, nor are they kevlar backed like my Wiley-X gloves (which shall forever rest in the bottom of my trunk full of defective and half-ass gear), but for basic protection from abrasion while keeping dexterity and ability to feel and manipulate small objects, these gloves are top notch. Oh, and you can get them for under $20, less than the price of 3 1/2 pairs of Wiley-X crap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great glove, January 27, 2010
This is my first Amazon.com purchase, very good experience.

I bought these on the recommendation of a buddy who wore them in Iraq, he swears by them and now I see why.

Very happy with the Mechanix wear original gloves. I bought two pair , gloves wear out and by buying two pair at once I got free super saver shipping. I'm also of the mindset that two is one and one is none. I am impressed enough with them that I intend to keep a new pair in waiting at all times.

The coyote color is nice and subdued, goes well with carhartt type colors and multicam.

Overall lightweight and flexible. The synthetic gripping surface feels kind of like a very fine suede.. good grip but not so sticky that it hangs up on things. I can still dig in my pack/pockets and pick one thing out with no unwanted items coming along for the ride.

Fit and finish is great, seams are well stitched, the glove feels and looks good.

The hook and loop closure is perfect. I would describe it as a "micro" hook and loop. It's much quieter when separated than old style velcro, doesn't look like it will fuzz up and deteriorate like old style velcro either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Glove; Great Price, November 19, 2012
The Mechanix Wear Original Glove in Coyote is a comfortable, stylish, and functional glove to handle numerous tasks such as mountain biking, shooting, camping, yard work, vehicle maintenance, etc. One aspect of the glove that I really like is that it fits very comfortably and there is not a lot of play in the fingers. A good fit can make the difference between a good glove and a great glove. The Original fits my hands great. These gloves can be used for shooting but it did take some practice to get used to shooting with the trigger finger because I really like the ability to feel the trigger. These gloves tend to reduce tactile sensations to the trigger finger as most gloves do so expect some range time to get used to the glove. Performing magazine changes and malfunction drills where no problem with the gloves. Practicing weapon disarming and take-aways with these gloves worked very well.

There is one important caveat with these gloves which is they are not top of the line premium high speed, tactical, ultra durable, do anything gloves. If you use these gloves for tasks that are beyond their capabilities such as fast roping then do not expect the gloves to function flawlessly. Some activities require gloves for that specific function. The Mechanix Wear Original Glove is a solid all-around glove for tasks that are within the capabilities of the glove.

At the price point that these gloves sell they are definitely a bargain and perform much better than gloves that are double and even triple the price. I would not hesitate purchasing another pair or recommending these gloves to others. These are a solid glove at a very reasonable price that perform well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional value, September 22, 2013
I buy these gloves for everything from hunting, yard work, loading ammo, car maintenance, general hand protection. Very tough and never had a problem with them. Can't beat for the price and wearability.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Fit, Juvenile Appearance, August 29, 2014
I'm something of a budding glove junkie. I have a pair of wannabe-Mechanix in the Lowe's Kobalt brand, a pair of Hatch Specialists, a pair of these Mechanix Coyotes, a pair of fancy leather gloves from Bloomingdale's, several pairs of Wells-Lamont Premium Leather Work Gloves, and various disposable cotton and nitrile gloves. All this in a climate that never demands them.

The only ones suitable to both work and fine motor control are these Coyote Mechanix, and the Hatch Specialist All Weather Shooting Gloves HG003. The Mechanix seem to be a better design, at least in terms of fit. They are tighter around the fingertips, allowing for finer sensitivity and motor control. I can almost touch type in them.

Fashion-wise, however, the Hatch gloves win, hands-down. They're pretty good-looking, and wouldn't look out of place with a suit, at least at first glance (the wrist straps might turn up a nose amongst the snobs). Mechanix could learn a thing or two from Hatch and stop splashing their juvenile logo all over every visible surface of every glove they produce. I can wear the Hatch gloves anywhere, including in civilized company. I can't say the same about the Mechanix, which are only suitable for outdoor pursuits, manual labor, etc. Splashing your logo all over all of your products is obnoxiously gauche. Some people don't want to pay to be your walking billboard. It's not exactly business rocket science to offer plain, solid-color and two-tone versions of your outerwear.

If Mechanix would offer adult versions of their gloves, I would stop shopping for alternatives.

Mechanix Wear MG-72-009 Original Glove, Coyote, Medium