Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on August 4, 2013
As compared to the Mueller Sports Medicine Reversible Thumb Stabilizer (Mueller Sports Medicine Reversible Thumb Stabilizer, Black, Measure Around Wrist- Fits 5.5 - 10.5 Inches):

Based on the reviews, I ordered this MedSpec stabilizer first. I was not extremely pleased, so I order the Mueller to see what it was like. I have placed customer images on this page so you can view the differences.

Fit: The MedSpec is short, and in fact does not even come down to my wrist, but stops at the base of the thumb and heel of the palm. The Mueller comes down my wrist by about 1-1/2 inch, which certainly helps support the thumb better. The Velcro wrist strap on the Mueller is stretchable, something I had not seen before. The wrist strap on the MedSpec also stretches, but is much shorter so there is less adjustment available. I could not adjust it to be loose enough for comfortable hours-long wear.

The thumb support portion on the MedSpec, again, is short. In addition, it does not tighten sufficiently, leaving room for the thumb to move. The strap around the thumb is not elastic, and really does little. The strap on the Mueller goes through an opening sort of like a belt buckle, which allows it to be tightened as much as you desire. The Velcro end can be placed basically anywhere on the backside of the thumb, allowing the fit and feel that is best for you.

As an aside, the MedSpec has the hook side of the Velcro facing outwards. Thus it sticks to some clothing and furniture, and catches dog and cat hair. The Mueller Velcro is the opposite, and does not catch on things.

Support: The MedSpec has three metal stays. Two are two inches long, and start at the BASE of the thumb and run diagonally down the hand towards the wrist. The other is three inches long, and runs, for me, from the base to about a half inch past the first joint, along the back of the thumb. The result of all this is that the thumb is quite free to move. In fact, when using this device, I used it more to remind me not to use my thumb than for any actual support it provided.

The Mueller has two stays, but they are 4-1/2 inches long and are positioned up and down the thumb from the wrist to almost the last joint. There truly is support.

Ergonomics: The MedSpec looks pretty poor with all the German Shepherd hair stuck in the Velcro. Also, all corners are square and look a bit frayed already. There are only rounded ends on the Mueller. Actually, I think the Mueller looks rather sporty, almost like a fancy driving glove.
review image review image
on December 15, 2011
I have arthritis at the base of my thumb and have tried a number of thumb spicas/protectors. While all were helpful, they were also large, thick and hot. For these reasons I was attracted to the slim design of the Tee Pee, and on these accounts the Tee Pee is a great success. Additionally, while some of the other models require hand washing, the Tee Pee can be machine washed and dried.

The only caveat I would offer is that the Tee Pee doesn't offer quite the same degree of restriction as the larger models. So, for example, while it works perfectly in one of my problem activities--holding and reading a book--it's not as effective in another--playing chords on my guitar. For other than this latter case, however, the Tee Pee works great and does so without the above-mentioned shortcomings. So, while I can't give it an A+, for me it's earned a solid A.
on June 20, 2012
I am a sixty year old male, 5'-10", 170 pounds, with basal joint (thumb) arthritis. There are many braces out there for this, and the Teepee is as good as there is. I had a $400 custom one made by my OP surgeon which didn't last very long, and although it was a better, custom fit, it wasn't that much better than the Teepee. There are others (I have tried a lot) that are as good, if not a little better, but they are too bulky and hot. All in all, this is the one I like the best until I have the dreaded surgery this winter.

Caveats: Carefully read the sizing information. I wear a large glove, and I fill it up. Ordering my first Teepee, after reading the measurement instructions, it seemed I needed a small. I didn't believe it, but did order a medium. After I had worn that one for while, I decided to replace it and ordered a small, which fit much better. So, don't believe anything but the measurement instructions!

Secondly, the Amazon Prime page says that it is an extra small, period. I was reluctant to order my replacement, even though a choice of sizes was given. I chose a small, and my order still showed it as an extra small. No problem, I received the small today.

Anyway, IMO, it is the best basal joint splint out there, given all the variables, but be careful to follow the sizing instructions!
on January 24, 2013
Pro: comfortable, adjustable, quality construction, intelligent design, freedom of movement, color (doesn't show dirt), position of metal braces (3 braces as opposed to 2 on most other thumb protectors I researched), flexibility of palm and back of hand metal braces to adjust to the shape of my hand and retain adjusted shape,

Con: My one and only complaint - unable to adjust the metal brace that follows the vertical outside thumb line. I'd love to be able to bend this slightly for a more natural fit to my thumb.

I have a very small hand and should probably have ordered the extra small...so measure, measure, measure. That being said, I am able to completely adjust the straps so the fit is proper.

I work in a ballet costume shop and damaged a tendon in my thumb due to being extremely double-jointed. I use my hands EVERY day - and can use my Tee Pee while working on almost any costume - only the occasional problem with tutu netting sticking to the Velcro if I don't position the strap accurately. Due to ordering a size that is slightly larger than my hand, the end of the stretchy strap across the back of my hand was getting in the way...but I sew...so I simply stitched it under.

Would absolutely recommend this product to anyone looking for a thumb protector (spica thumb splint).
on August 5, 2011
I am an Occupational Therapist who provides therapy to individuals with hand injuries. Ironically, I incurred an injury to my thumb so purchased this splint to stabilize my thumb at night. While this brace can do the job, finding the right size is crucial. My hand fell right in between sizes so I went with the small rather than the xsmall. In retrospect, I should have gone toward the smaller size. As it is, the brace is uncomfortable to wear and I had to modify it in order to not get "hot spots" where it pressed tightly on the skin. So my word of advice is if you are in between sizes, go to the smaller one. Despite fitting problems, the splint does adequately stabilize my thumb at the MP joint and reduces swelling and pain. I'm on the fence as to whether I'd recommend it to a patient though.
on April 14, 2012
This thumb stabilizer is the best I've found because it doesn't hamper wrist and hand movement but is small, unobtrusive, easy to take on and off and, most importantly, really stabilizes the thumb well. The best one I've found. Excellent.
on October 8, 2015
I received my thumb protector in the mail the other day. Upon opening it and attempting to try it on the small elastic thumb rest band at the top of the thumb opening hadn't even been sewn on all the way on one side. So now if I want to use the brace I have to sew that little piece of elastic on myself. Not an easy job for someone who has osteoarthritis in their thumb. I paid $25 for a product that I have to finish sewing myself.

I am not happy at all with this product.

Also, I have small hands so I ordered the size small. It's rather big on me.
on December 3, 2013
Within a few hours of receiving this, I would estimate that the pain (caused by the extended tendon) had halved. The "profile" is low, too, so I am able to type, etc. without removing it - a far cry from the bulky wrist brace that I was using before.

Do yourself a favor and don't guess at the size you need - read the directions (one of the images) for measuring and pick the appropriate size (another image). I was going to order a medium because I have big hands, but read one of the reviews and tried measuring and it turned out I needed a small, which fit perfectly.
on June 4, 2014
It is such a relief from pain with any movement while wearing this brace. It keeps my arthritic thumbs stable and I can do almost anything with it on because of it's non-restrictive design.
The support stays are bendable in order to conform to the anatomical structure of your hands, so it's like getting a custom fit.
This product is made in the USA and I did not hesitate to purchase it knowing that I would get a quality product.
on September 21, 2013
I have RA and am paralyzed in lower body, so I drive with my hands. Pain in thumbs from even a short trip was limiting me. With these supports, I have much less pain and no limits from thumbs not functioning. Worth every penny. They are comfortable to wear, and fit fine under a looser glove for winter.