4.0 out of 5 stars MUCH better than disposables!
Published on August 29, 2001 by Nature Mom w/ 2 children + EE ...

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy to find, so-so absorption speed
I've tried four different products. I'm working to test each product I can get a sample of. I believe most products fit one or more specific needs. I hope my research helps you make the best choice for your needs.

So far, each brand's strengths were as follows:
>Kushies (3star)absorbed moisture immediately so they were the best inner doublers,
>La...
Published on December 31, 2010 by ecofriendlyreviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy to find, so-so absorption speed, December 31, 2010
This review is from: Medela 100% Cotton Washable Bra Pads, 4 Count (Baby Product)

So far, each brand's strengths were as follows:
>La Leche League (3star)appearance was best for use in B/C nursing bras,
>Medela (2star) was easy to find in stores and absorption improved with time,
>NuAngel (4star)was very affordable. "White/patterns" absorb a bit faster than "natural" so I like to put "natural" as an outer doubler and "white/patterns" as inner doubler during heavy let-downs.
If you only drip a few drops during let-down any one of these brands would be fine. Read further if moderate to heavy let-downs are common.

All products were machine washable, free samples, and pre-washed in hot or warm water and cold rinse at least once before use unless otherwise noted. No fabric softeners were applied as they can cause repelling. All samples were used at least a month before final opinions were noted.

Categories: dry shirt test, rate of absoption, appearance, leakage, light use, heavy night use, doubler. Organic?, Made in USA/Canada?, Fair Trade?, Construction Material? Seam/Dart? Cotton/ Bamboo...?

KUSHIES:
Single layer/light use 4 star
Inner doubler 5 star
Outer doubler 1 star
heavy night solo 1 star
Rate of absorption 5 star (immediately absorbs 3ml during 2 secs dispersed).
Shirt test - back of pad damp in 10 minutes (3ml), shirt not visibly damp, but slightly damp to touch
Appearance 2.5 star (deep dart gives nipple effect on C cup(2), becomes less visible with time(3))

Best speed of absorption and inner doubler. 2-second squirt of 3ml absorbed in same 2 seconds. Still fresh white color after 2 months use. 100% cotton, 4 layers, med contour and dart/seam, 6 pads/pk, ~5" diameter, Made in Canada.

LA LECHE LEAGUE:
Single layer/light 4 star
Inner doubler 1 star
Outer doubler 4 star
heavy night solo 2 star
Rate of absorption 2 star: (3ml in 13-40 sec, variable)3ml within ~5 seconds after couple months of use
Shirt test - shirt visibly wet in 5 minutes (3ml)
Appearance 5 star (Especially good for C/+ size in my experience)

Best appearance for 36C wearing tank top/tight clothes. Variable speed of absorption. 13-40 seconds to absorb 3ml--improved after 2 months use. Excellent outer doubler. 95% Cotton/5% Polyester, outer shell 100% cotton, seamless deep contour, 4 pads/pk.

MEDELA-baby shower gift:
Single layer/light 3 star
Inner doubler 3 star
Outer doubler 2 star
heavy night solo 1 star
Rate of absorption 2 star: (3ml in 23 sec), 3ml within 5-10 seconds after couple months of use
Shirt test - back of pad damp in 20 minutes, not visible on shirt (3ml)
Appearance 3 star

Absorbed 3ml in 23sec, absorption improved thereafter following additional months of use. 100% cotton, min contour and dart/seam, 4 pads/pk w/ mini laundry bag

NUANGEL INC:
White/White Lace/Patterns
Single layer/light 5 star
Inner doubler 3 star
Outer doubler 3 star
Rate of absorption - 3ml within 3 seconds after couple months of use
Shirt test - White/Patterns: back barely damp in 30 min / White Lace back not discernibly damp @ 30 min... in both cases shirt barely felt damp but not visibly damp
Appearance 4 star (flat. smaller you are, better it probably looks)

Natural/Natural Lace
Single layer/light 5 star
Inner doubler 2 star
Outer doubler 4 star
Rate of absorption - star: 3ml within 5 seconds after couple months of use
Shirt test - Natural: back damp in 30 min / Natural Lace back not discernibly damp @ 30 min... in both cases shirt barely felt damp but not visibly
Appearance 4 star (flat. smaller you are, better it probably looks)

NuAngel had the best price per unit. White & patterns absorb more quickly than natural tone (3ml in 24sec), absorption improved thereafter following additional month of use. Probably best to use white alone or as inner doubler depending on anticipated flow, and natural tone as outer or alone if only slowly dripping. May work especially well for smaller sizes like A or B. 100% cotton flannel, 4 layers (+ optional lace), 8 pads/pk (4 pair), no dart/seam, 4.5" shrinks to ~4" diameter, Made in USA.

Definitions:
Fully absorbed. liquid no longer beads/flows on surface when tilted

Heavy let-down. Can soak a Lansinoh disposable (most absorptive disposable I'd encoutered) in a single feeding and leak. Equivalent to about two & a half washable pads stacked to catch the flow. Heavy flow requires very absorptive inner doublers and low(er) absorption outer doublers so they have time to soak it all up without affecting your shirt. Hopefully a washable pad out there can improve on these statistics. I just haven't met it yet. I'm still hopeful that the other 2/3 of these brands can provide a more efficient answer. I will gladly try any brand and report on my findings.

Rate of absorption. 3ml water dispersed in 2 seconds. Dispersed/absorbed time: 2/2 = absorbed immediately. 2/20= 18 seconds after water dispersed until fully absorbed

Shirt test: After 1+ month of use, lay pad on favorite tank top, apply 3ml water, time how long until back of pad is damp to touch or shirt is visibly dampened. Check at 5, 10, 20, 30 minutes.

If you would like another product reviewed, please let me know. This review goes into more detail at "[..]

4.0 out of 5 stars MUCH better than disposables!, August 29, 2001
These offer at least as much protection as the disposables and are more comfortable and less "crunchy" (ie they don't make noise like I found the thick disposables did!). They wash and dry well too. My favorite pads, which I would rate 5 star-plus, are called "MilkDiapers" nursing pads. Most of the pad is thin, soft cotton/flannel...and then it has an 8-layer thicker section to absorb where you need it most. Even though they're soft to begin with, they get softer and softer after each washing. I used them for over 2 years and they were still in good enough shape to pass along to friends! They also saved me from having to double up on other thin washable pads which made me look even more odd-shaped than I was already feeling. Here's a tip... after leaking in one of the pads, I often gave that pad to my baby to sleep with, or sent her to daycare with it. My "smell" would comfort her when I couldn't. Best wishes for a happy, enjoyable breastfeeding experience for you and your child!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these bra pads!, November 3, 2001
By A Customer
These bra pads are by far the most comfortable and absorbant that I have found. I have tried at least 4 different brands and styles. These are my favorite. They hold up well after months of washings. The only drawback is that they are thick (thus the softness and super absorbency) and have a seam that will not always lie flat along the edge. If you are wearing a tight or extremely thin shirt, you may be able to see the outline of the pad through your clothing. Although I found this to be the case with many bra pads, these seemed to be the worst. But, their excellent performance and comfort still make them my hands down favorite. All the other bra pads I have just sit in my drawer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nursing Mother, July 12, 2001
By A Customer
I had used this product due to the dissatisfaction with the disposables, which I had to use more than one. I managed to escape throught the day without any accidents due to leaking or my enthusiastic baby. I recommend this item to all nursing mothers. I will definately save you from embarrasing situations.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but disposables are better, October 8, 2007
Fellow consumer "yoyo_at_ca" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I like the fact that these pads are made from renewable sources and can be reused, so i bought them for ecological reasons. I was also given some of the disposables. I have to say I'm going to let go of my idealism this once because the washable pads feel very inflexible and awkward under my shirt. If you are using no bra or a bra that is not ironclad, you will be able to see the pad protruding, since for some reason it does not adjust to your breast shape as much as the disposables. I also do not like that they produce fuzz that gets glued to my nipples when they leak, which is very hard to remove without soap. Somehow I do not like the idea of my newborn eating that fuzz with his meal--even if it is cotton. Surprisingly, I also felt that the disposables felt gentler to my sore nipples than these.
So far, both types have managed to hold all my leaking so I cannot comment on this. However, it feels as if the disposable absorbs the moisture better and in that regard is more comfortable as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars work well- not sweaty like disposables, July 3, 2008
I love these- they are soft and comfy. Disposable ones make me feel gross and sweaty like im wearing a plastic diaper. I have only had occasional leaks on days when I didn't nurse or pump enough, so I simply learned to keep an extra pair around- no big deal. I wash these separately in my mini wonder-washer so that they don't get mixed in with my clothes and lost. I dont really wear tight clothes- but when I do I just wear a heavier bra to cover the lines (not that it really matters who sees im wearing breast pads, everyone looks at the kid these days- not me!)

1.0 out of 5 stars They bunch up after washing. Buy Milk Diapers instead., September 13, 2010
K. Anderson (Bellevue, WA USA) - See all my reviews
The medela ones bunch up horribly after each wash, so that they're really lumpy and noticeable. I would never buy these again. Try Milk Diapers, especially the 4 layer ones (unless you leak heavily, then I would get the full 5 layers). those stay nicely shaped wash after wash and I will even wear them to work because they're discreet. Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't sell Milk Diapers but look around. I bought them at our hospital's baby boutique. [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea in theory..., August 12, 2009
I didn't want to be wasteful with all of those disposables, but even with my thickest bra these were visible, and in order to have enough around to always have a clean set available it just seemed silly (I mean, new mom nursing a baby isn't doing laundry very often... unless you're doing cloth diapers I guess, in which case maybe this makes a ton of sense...)

3.0 out of 5 stars ok for around the house - a bit bulky and prone to leaks, July 2, 2011
Amy (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
Several observations:
1. Shape - After you wash these, make sure you shape them so they can air dry in an acceptable shape.
2. Bulky - They're still fairly bulky but work fine for around the house under my Bravado Original Nursing bra. Shaping it helps it look less bulky.
3. Leaks - Occasionally I leak a lot, and these need changing after one "let down." If I don't change it, it's sure to leak through after 4 hours or so if I let down again. Also, they shift around too much sometimes. That being said, I wear them out if I'm just out as a mom; I stick with disposables when I do anything professional.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't lie flat, April 8, 2011
Jackie K (Massachuesetts, USA) - See all my reviews
You can see these through your bra...even a think padded bra. And they don't lay flat so they aren't very comfortable.
Try the LLLI Washable Nursing Pads. I have tried every washable brand and these are the best!

Medela 100% Cotton Washable Bra Pads, 4 Count