5.0 out of 5 stars Dyson of baby bottles

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, Didn't Work For Us
Published on March 6, 2012 by Kelly Utter

5.0 out of 5 stars Dyson of baby bottles, February 9, 2012
DL (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medela Calma Breast Milk Feeding Set, 5 Ounce (Baby Product)
Our new baby was a few days old when the lactation nurse at the hospital declared she wasn't gaining enough weight and handed us a few bottles of formula and hospital nipples to supplement. Two feedings later, baby started chewing on mom's nipples! My wife and I were frantic! Not only did all of baby's hard-earned latching technique go out the window, but we were faced with a catch-22, stop supplementing and the baby starves, keep going and screw-up her breast feeding even more.

We tried raiding the local Babies R Us for breast feeding nipples. None really helped, we tried cup feeding but baby spilled more than she ate. A follow-up consultation taught us finger feeding (taping a feeding tube and syringe to your finger and squirting formula into her mouth as she sucked on it). That got her breast feeding under control, but it took 15 minutes to supplement 1/2 oz of milk / formula. Thanks to a breast infection (mastitis), we were down to one feeding breast and combined with the need to pump 3-4 syringes of milk / formula, we were back to searching for a better breast feeding alternative.

We stumbled onto the Calma and were desperate enough to cough-up the $24 to try it. When we introduced the Calma, baby chewed on it for a moment... no milk! Then she started sucking and bingo! She was feeding in about a minute. A few more tense feedings went by and she didn't relapse into chewing on mom's last working breast so I guess it worked!

I think the Dyson analogy is a good fit for this product. It is relatively expensive and not everybody agrees with it. But it is clear that real research and engineering went into this product. We like the fact that baby needs to use the breast feeding sucking technique to extract her meal. Baby can still get overwhelmed by the flow if she hoards too much food before swallowing. We agree with other reviewers about the need to "prime" the nipple by dabbing some formula on it so baby knows its food. You can do this by pinching the nipple and pulling a few times to "suck" some milk out.

To mitigate the cost, we've discovered that the Calma fits on most standard bottles (Ameda pump bottles & Dr. Brown without the tube works for sure), so just go for the top and save a few dollars. The provided Madela bottle isn't really worth the extra $4, a quick check with a kitchen measuring cup shows that the markings are not even accurate! This could be a problem for mixing formula. We wash the Calma after every feeding and may try a more cost effective standard nipple in a month or two.

As far as the disclaimer that it is for breast milk only, I can attest that properly mixed formula (no clumps) works just fine. Sounds like there may have been a PR battle between the lactation consultants association against Madela promoting formula in a "works like breast feeding" bottle.

When it's 3:00 am in the morning, with a screaming baby, wife in tears and your hand cramped from squeezing feeding syringes, $20 suddenly doesn't sound like too much for a little sanity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge help for our newborn, April 9, 2012
We just had a baby who weighed in at 7 pounds 7 ounces at birth with apgar scores of 9 and 9. Everything seemed to be going well until we noticed he wasn't breastfeeding for long periods. He'd latch, feed for 5-7 minutes and then fall asleep. The hospital lactation consultant showed us a few different positions and techniques. No luck. We looked at videos and articles online. No luck. We spoke with the hospital nursing/ob staff and our pediatrician. We were advised to keep trying and to stimulate him by blowing on his head, rubbing him a bit or even dabbing him with a wet cloth. No luck. We were advised to try new positions and work on his latch. I was convinced the issue wasn't a poor latch or inadequate supply; I thought he was just literally becoming so comfortable that he'd fall asleep. By Day 4 his weight had dropped to 6 pounds 10 ounces - within the normal 10% range but pretty fast. My wife was extremely concerned.

So on Day 4 we paid for a (very expensive) home visit by a lactation consultant.

After the usual "Oh it must just be a latch or a poor position" song-and-dance she realized there was a problem. She switched us to a pump and brought out the Calma. It was apparent from the clever design that baby would have to really work to get the supply - something that would help with nipple confusion. We started him up on it.

Within 3 days he was almost back to birth weight. At 2 weeks he was almost a pound over birth weight. He continues to gain weight and feed regularly. He still falls asleep after 10 minutes breastfeeding but we've had no trouble switching between the Calma and breastfeeding. Using the Calma has the added benefit of allowing us to take turns feeding him, reducing the strain on my wife and allowing me to feel like I'm helping. In fact, I'm writing this review at 3:51 AM shortly after a feeding while my wife gets some sleep.

Of course, everyone's experience is going to be different. I'm sharing ours in the hope that this will help someone else. We have 4 Calmas now, allowing us to ensure there's always at least 1 clean, sterilized Calma available. Expensive ? Yes. Worth allowing one of us to get 6-8 hours of sleep at night even with a newborn ? Absolutely. Two thumbs up.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, Didn't Work For Us, March 6, 2012
Kelly Utter (Cockeysville, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I wanted to like the calma, I really did! It was clear that a lot of thought and effort went into the design, and everything about it makes sense. When I was putting it together and washing it, I was impressed at how much effort did need to be put in to get fluid out. I thought it would be a great for my boy, who I thought was having trouble getting lots of milk directly from me but needed to be used to bottles for going to daycare (and for when dad watches him). Unfortunately it didn't work for us very well at all - I've given it three tries now, and each time he seems to get far too much milk too fast, and ends up spluttering and fighting the nipple. I thought a few attempts were worthwhile and he would learn to manage it a bit, but it's not really worth the fight, and he's learned to use regular slow-flow nipples just fine (and so far this doesn't seem to have affected his BFing). With persistence he might be able to learn how to control the flow better, but I'm not sure I have the energy :)

On the plus side, these things are definitely a smart design and I imagine for some babies they probably work very well. Everything seems to be high quality, and the ease of the whole system (that the calma fits the same collection bottles you've been using, etc) is great. On the flip side, there are several pieces here and it is a bit tedious/annoying to clean - when you're also cleaning pump parts, bottles, and everything else under the sun, the simpler something is to clean the better.

But if your baby drinks very well, and especially if he's started using regular nipples with no problems (is not gagging or having any trouble with them, and still comes back to BFing with no problems), it probably isn't worth the price tag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read about how to use it to be more successful, November 22, 2013
This nipple is wonderful, but you need to learn how to use it WITH your child to be effective.

Our 2nd had experienced nipple confusion and we had to stop using a bottle with a typical nipple. In a typical nipple, the baby will gum at the nipple to get milk to flow, and that is different from how they draw milk from the mother's nipple. This was good for us because the demand helped my wife to finally produce enough, and then too much, milk. We bought this bottle so we didn't have to waste as much and so I could feed our daughter as well, which can be important bonding time.

At first we had no success, but I had to read up and discover "the trick" to it. If the baby does not instantly receive gratification in the form of milk, it is going to seem like you are just throwing something in her face, and she will resist. Surely enough, she did resist at first and then tried to gum at it like a traditional nipple, and then she just pushed it away. So, I "primed the pump" by sucking a little of the milk into the nipple and then dripping that into my daughter's mouth. That helped her recognize what was going on and she eventually knew to suck it the same as a real nipple rather than gumming at it. Also, because it was primed, the second she began to suck, even more milk flowed into her mouth. Because it's not flesh but man-made, it took her a few tries to figure out how to fit it in correctly. Once she did, it went lightning fast. I have read other reviews that talk about this speed as a problem. All I have to do to compensate is make her stop and burp every 30 cc or so before moving on. We have no waste. Occasionally she may lose the fit and I will have to squirt a little for her by gently squeezing, but this helps.

What I love most is that the sucking motion looks more like how she sucks when breastfeeding instead of having to gum the nipple. Having gone through the stress of having to correct nipple confusion, I can tell you that this nipple is a wonderful 2nd best option to breastfeeding.

Like all good things, you have to learn how to use it properly before really getting the benefit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor design, November 29, 2012
We are a bit disappointed by this nipple. It has an incredibly fast follow and pours all over our son. He does fine with all other nipples. We got this just in case it was needed before our baby was born. The flow was too fast then and still is now at almost 8 weeks. The nipple is also way too long, not representing anything natural.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be recommended to all breastfeeding families!, July 13, 2012
A. Potter (S. Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
When our baby boy was born, he had a rough delivery and just wanted to sleep and not eat. With the adventure of being out of the womb and learning the complete new routine of life even the most simplistic tasks are new and difficult for a newborn. With this thought in mind, we take all the skills as adults that go into feeding ourselves for granted.

Think about what a newborn has to do to feed correctly:
latching
sucking
swallowing
breathing while eating
flow control to keep from choking
And many others!

As the parent it's your responsibility to help your child learn these techniques so they understand this routine and figure out how to get the proper nutrition they need! With this in mind, we had all intentions of breastfeeding immediately, but new mothers don't produce milk as fast as babies sometimes need. Sometime latching is difficult or maybe your depleted and don't have ample supply. Possibly your breastfeeding baby has Jaundice and you have supply but need to supplement some formula for a while.

This is where we have found the Calma to be a life saver. It mimics breastfeeding requiring him to suck to get the milk. It slows the milk to get more flow control similar to the breast and it is portable when the breast isn't available or mom needs some extra zzzz's. You can use ready made formula, pumped breast milk, and even powdered formula if mixed correctly. We found it helpful when we needed to supplement 1/2 formula & 1/2 breast milk until we got his Jaundice under control. It also allowed dad to help mom to get some sleep and not have to wake up every two hours to feed.

Other reviews state that it leaks...we have NEVER had a leak and we have multiple Calma's. Some folks had flow issues....we found if you sit your baby upright on his/her back on your legs at a slight angle and hold the bottle slightly raised or even level, they have to suck more to get the milk. When their laying down and you turn the bottle upside down, they'll get too much milk when they suck and you'll FLOOD their little mouths. Maybe this was the reason for other users flow issues. No doubt it's more than the breast but it's significantly less than any other slow flow nipple on the market and they don't begin rejecting the breast because the flow is greater or your bottle feeding them.

Also, I want to mention (because it's not in any other review) that the most important thing to do during the feeding is burping your baby. Everyone has their own method but we found our boy spits up rarely when we hold him upright in our lap, lean him forward slightly with our hand under his chin, and tap his back lightly until he belches. We do this after each ounce he drinks. We never lay him flat and keep him upright during the whole process. You don't eat and drink laying down right! Isn't it harder to do as an adult laying down than sitting upright!

I'm not telling anyone anything they don't know, I just wanted to explain why we like the Calma so much and what we have done to make our feedings successful using this great product!!! I hope other folks considering using this product will use some of the techniques we had to learn from trial and error to help your child feed better with the Calma.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for slowing down a fast eater at daycare, July 7, 2013
I bought these nipples after two weeks of daycare (at 5 months). My son was eating 16 oz of milk in a couple of hours at daycare which after talking to a lactation consultant we determined that he probably was wanting to suck more because I was absent and with a traditional bottle means that even a light suck produces milk. These bottles only work if your child creates a seal which means if he is just chewing or messing around with this nipple no milk comes out. These bottles slowed down his consumption enough that I could keep up with pumping at work. When he is hungry he takes these bottles no problem even after two weeks with traditional bottles which they warn might be a problem. My son is now 11 months and still uses the calma nipples and nurses well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than an SNS if you are close to not needing to supplement., December 3, 2013
Amazon Customer (NY United States) - See all my reviews
This bottle was a lifesaver. I was close to having to use a supplemental nursing system until my baby was able to nurse enough but I used this bottle to give her pumped breastmilk until she didn't need supplemented milk anymore. I only had to do that a week but it was worth the money for this.
Baby must be able to suck and create a vacuum to use this bottle. It took a couple minutes for her to figure it out. The milk still goes into baby pretty fast but it is still slower than a regular slow flow nipple. I found that if milk started to dribble out of her mouth it was because she was just sucking the bottle to soothe, but if she was truly hungry it works like a charm. Don't let the huge size of the nipple scare you.

5.0 out of 5 stars good product, December 29, 2013
the first two times i used the nipple set, she drank milk in matter of seconds, once she got used to it, drank more slowly and it works well going back from bottle to breastfeeding
nipple set works on 5 oz bottles as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for EFB baby, July 15, 2014
K.L. Hime (Lawrence, KS USA) - See all my reviews
This is the ONLY bottle my EFB baby will take. We tried at least 6 other bottles and nipples, and none of them work for her. Even the lowest flow nipples seemed to squirt milk out too fast. With this bottle, baby has control of the milk flow, similar to when she's nursing. Also, if you have a Medela pump, you can pump directly into this bottle, or attach the nipple onto your other Medela containers.

Medela Calma Breast Milk Feeding Set, 5 Ounce