1,051 of 1,073 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use hand pump!
I am a first time mom and I exclusively breastfeed my 3 month old. I have a Medela Pump in Style Advanced, which I love for work. However it isn't that convenient for at home use and travel. For one, the Pump in Style has a lot of parts and tubing that need to be connected. You need to plug it in - or use a TON of batteries. It is heavy and it is loud. I first...
Published on April 14, 2005 by Lauren A.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Pump But.... That darn o-ring
This pump works great unless the o-ring falls off or cracks. If that happens then it is useless and Medela will only sell you an o-ring with two other parts for almost the price of this pump. If that happens do yourself a favor and go to a hardware store. For $.23 I was able to get a replacement o-ring. They did not have them at HD but they had them at Ace. Just ask the...
Published 22 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 14 5 685 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless after just 2 months, November 16, 2013
This review is from: Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump (Baby Product)
When the Harmony works, it works well. I'm able to pump 2-3 ounces in a very short time and is quick to assemble, handy when out and about.

Unfortunatley i've gone through TWO Harmony's in FIVE months. The first stopped working due to a tear in the rubber diaphragm that goes with the handle. I was using this pump for all of my pumping sessions so I put it down to overuse. I went and bought a new Freestyle pump, and a new Harmony pump and with only very light use of the Harmony pump, within two months, same thing happened again.

Extremely frustrated with this as these pumps are not cheap. Have contacted Medela requesting for a repair or replacement and hoping for the best as if not, this will be the last pump I buy from Medela.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even great for daily use!!!, September 22, 2009
This review is from: Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump (Baby Product)
I purchased this pump when my son was 5 weeks old and I was having trouble nursing him on one side. I had rented a hospital grade pump and returned it after 3 days because it seemed uneffective and was causing lots of pain, which was exactly what I was trying to fix. It is now 5 weeks later and I have been using this pump 4-5 times each day because my son cannot nurse on one side due to an intense milk flow that he cannot seem to overcome. He gets almost 100% of his milk from one side and I use the pump to empty the other side for storage. So far, the Harmony has been awesome! I have used it on airplanes, in hospitals, cars and while doing all sorts of household duties. Depending on the time of day, I get about 2 ounces in 5-6 minutes which is really good compared to other pumps. I do not find the fact that it is a manual pump a problem AT ALL and that actually makes it much more convenient for taking along in the diaper bag during the day. At night, I get up once to pump and the sound never bothers my baby or my husband and I am back in bed within 5 minutes. After I finish pumping, I leave the pump assembled and flush it out with lots of really hot water. Then one time each day I dissassemble the pump, scrub the parts with hot soapy water and lay it out to dry. Even though I have to pump 4-5 times each and every day, I probably only spend a total of 30 minutes collecting the milk, cleaning the pump and storing the milk every day. The Harmony has been a godsend and the fact that it was one of the most affordable pumps was great. I would certainly buy it again if need be and would recommend it to anyone!
Side note, I have used the harmony at least 120 times and it is working just as well as when I first bought it. They advertise that this pump is for ocassional use but if you need a pump that is good for everyday, I would first try this one. You will be happy with all the money you save!

UPDATE: I have been using my Harmony for over 5 months now to get milk for my almost 7 month old baby. At 2 1/2 months of age he decided to wean himself and refused to nurse from that point on. I could only get him to nurse in his sleep and at 4 months he quit doing that as well. Despite all this I have been able to continue to provide him with almost 100% breastmilk thanks to both my harmony pump and the Pump in Style that my sister gave me. I have had to pump both sides up to 6 times a day every day and found that the Harmony gets the job done just as fast as the double electric pump does. When we travel I don't even bother with the electric one because the Harmony does so well on it's own.
The only drawback was that the breast shield piece cracked at some point and had to be thrown away. I understand though because I used it far more than what it was made for and I boiled it many times so it just got weak. It only happened after about 4 months of daily use and I simply replaced it with one of the regular shields from the Pump In Style. It still works perfect and continues to be the best $ I have spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes expressing quick and easy!, September 9, 2005
This review is from: Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump (Baby Product)
I'm a seasoned breastfeeding mom with now 4 children under my belt. I've tried pumps in the past (at least 2) and never had much luck so I've expressed milk by hand. This worked fine but seemed time consuming and my hands got tired. After reading many online reviews of different manual pumps I finally bought this one.

I'm VERY impressed! On the first use I pumped 3 ounces in barely 3 minutes! The letdown feature worked nicely and once I had letdown the milk flowed into the bottle. Its compact and very quiet which I love because if I'm out noone needs know I am pumping. Taking it apart for cleaning is simply and quick

Overall, I'm tickled pink that I took the plunge again and am extremely satisfied with this purchase. I would recommend this pump to anyone who had an established milk supply and limited time to pump.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pump, December 17, 2005
This review is from: Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump (Baby Product)
I have never written a review before but I wanted to let other Moms know that this pump has been great for me. It is so confusing when you first look for pumps, but I lucked out with this one. I also have the electric Pump N Style, but I almost prefer the manual Harmony because it does feel more natural and comfortable, and it is much more portable so you can sit anywhere to pump. I have traveled a lot with the Harmony, and it is great because it is so small, light, and easy to carry on the plane. I've had no problems with it at all. My only complaint is that every once in a while it leaks a little where it screws on to the bottle, and I can't figure out why. This does not happen often, however. Overall, this is a convenient, efficient, and comfortable pump. I strongly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Way better than the Avent Isis!!, April 5, 2006
This review is from: Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump (Baby Product)
(This review is in regards to the manual hand pump, many of these reviews are for the electric models.) I just bought this new pump, I had been using the Avent Isis. I wish I had bought this one from the start! It is SO much better in every way. It is more comfortable, works better, is much easier to clean, is quieter, has directions in the box for assembly/disassembly/cleaning, you can buy extra parts at Target, etc., etc. I would recommend you put it on your registry for sure! (Unless you're planning on getting one of the fancy electric ones.) Medela also has these great microwave sterilization bags that work really well!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for travel, April 4, 2007
Indigo Felle (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump (Baby Product)
Unlike many of the reviewers, I exclusively pump--that is, my son only gets breast milk, but I do not nurse him. I have the hospital grade Medela pump, which is fantastic--I get plenty of milk without nursing, and am even able to pump extra to store.

I bought this pump because I've run into trouble a couple times when I was away from the house for longer than expected. My regular pump has to be plugged in (it does not run on batteries) so it's hard to carry around. I bought this pump because it is easy to throw into the diaper bag in case of 1) engorgement or 2) needing a bottle while I'm out.

Although I'm not a fan of handpumping and have not used other manual pumps, I've found this one easy to use. Basically it works just like like the hospital grade--and I get just as much milk, just as quickly, with this pump! The design is so comfortable that I have even pumped while driving home one day when I got stuck in major rush-hour traffic. Being able to use it left-handed or right-handed is a huge plus.

I give it only four stars because the silicon part on the handle has a tendency to get loose and I lose suction in the middle of pumping.

Note for Avent bottle users: You can buy, for about $10.00, a set of adaptors (I bought mine at Buy Buy Baby) that allow you to attach the wide Avent bottles right to this or any of the other similarly styled Medela pumps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient and easy to use..., April 4, 2006
This review is from: Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump (Baby Product)
I purchased the Harmony Manual Pump a few weeks before my baby was due as a "just in case" item. My baby is now 9 weeks old and I have breastfed him exclusively. I recently returned to work part-time and use the pump once daily. The pump breaks down into three separate pieces, so it can be very discreet and easy to throw in a purse without taking up a lot of room.

I usually pump directly into one of the Medela bottles and then transfer the milk to a storage bag. If you need a pump that is easy to use, convenient to pack up without a bunch of pieces to keep track of, and you only need to pump once a day or less, this is definitely a good option. Another nice thing about the Harmony pump is that Medela products are available practically everywhere so finding the accessories (i.e. membranes, disinfecting wipes, etc.) has been a breeze. I have been more than pleased with my Medela Harmony and recommend it highly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Medela Harmony, Lansinoh, Avent Isis and Avent Comfort Compared, September 3, 2013
This review is from: Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump (Baby Product)
Through a series of unfortunate events, I've come to own six different manual breast pumps and two electric ones. My manuals include the Lansinoh, the Medela Harmony and two generations of Avent pumps. This is how they compare (from worst to best):

(1) Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump. I own the Freestyle, so I thought that I would like the Medela brand manual. Not so. The valve system on this pump is a thin flip attached to hard plastic. It simply does not generate as much suction as the sturdier Lansinoh and Avent valves, and therefore it does not trigger let down as well or get as much milk. If this is the only pump you have, you might not realize it, because you will still get some milk, but when I compared it to my Avent, it was taking about five minutes longer and getting an ounce less per breast. I liked that you could switch out the breast cup to accommodate different nipple sizes, and assembly was slightly easier, but it does not have the "massage cushion" which makes it a little less comfortable. Of course, the lack of cushion also means that milk can't get stuck in teh cushion and leak like the other three pumps, so it's good and bad. But the bottom line is that I have supply problems, so I just couldn't settle for a pump that generated less milk. It's in the garbage now.

(2) Avent Isis Manual Breast Pump (aka the Older Model Avent). These pumps are comfortable to use and generate a lot of milk, but the valve system is a small dime sized piece of plastic that pops out while pumping and easily gets lost. Fortunately, you can now buy replacement valves that are inch long pieces of sturdy, flexible plastic. Those are a must for Avent users.Philips AVENT Comfort Breast Pump Valves. Also, even though I like this pump, it is annoying that it collects milk in the cushion and spills easily. It shares this problem with the newer Comfort Avent, and the Lansinoh, but not the Medela, which does not have cushion.

(3) Lansinoh Manual Breast Pump, 1-Count. This pump is cheaper than the Avent, and uses the same type of valve, so unlike the Medela, it is almost as effective as the Avent at getting milk. It also takes standard size bottles, including Medela, Even-flo, etc, which is an advantage if you don't already use Avent bottles. Still, I prefer the Avent for two reasons: first, the massage cushion on the Avent has "petal" air pockets that I like, and second, the Lansinoh takes much more effort to pump. My hand gets tired within five or ten minutes of using this pump, which is not a problem I've had with either the Medela or Avent pumps. I think it is because the diaphragm on the Lansinoh is much thicker. So, well, I can see certain advantages to this Lansinoh (cost, bottles), it's not my favorite.

(4) Philips Avent Manual Comfort Breast Pump (aka the Newer Model Avent). These pumps are the best. The most comfortable to use, the short neck can be placed right next to the breast. They also get the most milk without making my hand tired. The only disadvantages are that they are somewhat harder to assemble than the Medela and can't accommodate different nipple sizes, cost more than the Lansinoh and require special Avent shaped bottles (usually included). Still, the assembly difference is small, and I can learn to control milk spill. Comfort and milk matter most to me, so I enjoy this pump the most. If, heaven forbid, I need a seventh breast pump, I will buy another one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars I use the harmony exclusively., July 1, 2012
Kayla D (Oklahoma, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump (Baby Product)
This pump was exactly what I wanted, small, efficient and has plenty of suction, it comes with two bottles to store breast milk in to begin with, but i find it also works with most other screw top bottle types that have a thinner neck. I didn't want to buy an electric breast pump, one I couldn't afford to pay $200+ for a breast pump, I could hardly afford the $40 I paid for it, I had been planning on buying another cheap breast pump thinking that any manual pump would give out or be difficult like my other one, and I'm so glad I chose to go a little more expensive and buy the Harmony. I use the pump at least five times a day, (my son won't latch so I've been pumping exclusively) and it works great! I can easily control how hard the suction is by either using the turn able top to use the "let down" feature (Which is a shorter stem to create a smaller suction) or just by pumping lighter, It's very easy to assemble and very easy to clean, Its light weight and only takes one hand to use. I find that some people complain about hand cramping with the harmony, because of having to pump using the stem, 1, what did you expect to have to do? It's a manual pump. 2, I find it very easy to pump, and have yet to experience any sort of discomfort with my hands at all, if one hand starts to get tired, I simply switch to the other hand, but there is very little resistance when it comes to pumping itself.

Over all I give the Harmony a 5/5, It's great and does exactly what it's supposed to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars using for relactation, March 26, 2012
I had my husband go out and buy me this so i could relactate, works better than my electric pump, i like the fact i can put it in my purse and take it everywhere with me.

‹ Previous | 14 5 685 | Next ›