Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 25, 2014
Never thought I would want a hand pump but I kept it with me when I was on the go and it helped just pump a few ounces at night when I didn't want to fully hook up with my hospital grade one. Obviously, my hands got a bit tired after 4-5 ounces but I still got a lot of use out of this pump. Great purchase.
on September 28, 2015
After hearing everyone rave about how amazing Medela is, I'm completely dissatisfied. This is my second manual pump that died or otherwise became defective. I'm insanely happy my electric is a different brand.

My first one fell from a low shelf in my fridge (I had stopped mid pump to deal with something) and developed a huge crack\chip in the main housing(the little angled part that connects everything together). It became unusable because of the air leak. Ok, my fault. It fell. I still think it was a minor fall and should have been ok, but whatever. So I bought a second one since I had already spent money on extra parts and adapters to fit my preferred bottle.

My second pump came out of the washer today (top rack, according to directions) and it now won't hold suction, though I'll be damn ed if I can figure out why or where it is leaking from. I replaced every part(handle, flange, valve, bottle, etcetera) but the main housing and fiddled with it for a half hour this morning, before giving up and unpacking my electric from my workbag. Very disappointing considering it has been lightly used (maybe twice a day or less for a few months).

Side notes on the Medela system. It sucks.
All the parts are expensive
You need to replace the flimsy plastic valves way too frequently. I've been using my electric for 8 months, NEVER had to replace a valve and it works amazing.
The whole thing is apparently fragile
It never had great suction, even with replacement flanges and valves
It's angles funny
Way too many parts
Hard to clean

For electric I recommend Hygeia. I'm going to try another brand maybe avent for my manual.
on March 4, 2016
This is a life saver. I also have a Medela electric pump that I use to pump at work and works great and wouldn't return! This manual breast pump is a great pump to also have around and has been a lifesaver in the following situations:

1. In a long car rides when my baby gets hungry. I just take this pump out of my purse, and pump in the car to get my baby feed while keeping him in his carseat and not having to pull over. I just give him a pacifier while I pump, pump and then feed him. Win!
2. When I went to Disneyland and wanted to have pumped milk in case my son got hungry while waiting in line or in the middle of the parade where nursing him would not be ideal. The manual pump was a life saver. (Yes, Disneyland has a baby center where you can bring in your electric pump and pump, but carrying the electric pump is such a pain, I just carried this one and used the baby center to pump with my manual pump. Because I didn't need an outlet, I was also able to get a pumping station faster ;) another win!)
3. When I've waken up in the middle of the night, engorged and am too tired to get up and plug in my electric pump to "relieve myself" .. I've just reached for this, and provided some relief to my achy boobs all without getting out of bed (which when you're a sleep deprived mother of a newborn/infant is fantastic!)

This pump uses the same bottles and breast shields as the electric breast pump so its nice that everything is universal. When I don't nurse and use bottles, I also use Dr. Brown's bottles and like the medela electric pump, you can pump directly into those bottles. I also liek that it has a "let-down" pumping phase and regular pumping similar to the electric pump :)

Took off one star because my electric pump can still get more milk out than this one but this one still gets "the majority" out. Also, the handle sometimes comes off while I'm pumping, but its probably because of the angle I'm trying to pump. I just reconnect and am back at it :)
on February 24, 2005
I love this pump. I was told by my doctor to pump to stimulate my milk supply and this totally helped. It is worth the money it costs. Think of it as an investment in your baby. Plus if you have more than 1 child you can use it again.
on January 10, 2016
I have been exclusively pumping for 3 months with a Medela Pump in Style and have found the entire process of set up, long pumping sessions to drain breasts, and clean up of a million parts absolutely laborious. Plus lugging that suitcase to and from work... I was tempted to quit every day. I spent roughly 4 hrs hooked to the Pump in Style daily. When my son was 6 weeks I purchased a Medela Harmony manual pump for what I thought might be emergency use, or simply to relieve a bit of pressure at times when I couldn't get a full pumping session in with the electric pump. I had never even opened the Harmony until a few a weeks ago when I thought I'd give it a try. It has changed my life!!! With the Harmony I am now able to entirely drain both breasts individually in less than half the time it takes me with the electric pump. I am completely amazed by this, and not sure exactly what to attribute it to other than maybe the fact that I'm controlling the speed the whole time. Additionally, set up and clean up are now reduced to only a couple pump parts, and the entire process is totally simplified. Plus, it is virtually silent. The pump itself works so easily that the manual pumping strain on your hand is minimal and entirely worth it for the other benefits of using this pump. I feel like this is the best kept secret I could have discovered, and wish I had saved myself the stress of electric pumping from the beginning. My infant so longer has to be lulled to sleep by the sound of the electric pump or propped against the plastic tubes of the flanges simply because I had to spend so many hours pumping that it was the only way I could hold him and spend time with him in the evenings. The Harmony pump has been a life changer!
on November 17, 2005
I first started pumping in the hospital, and thought this was a GREAT pump! So easy to use, easy to clean, and very effective at pumping milk. Some of the bottles never twisted on tight enough though - I would turn the bottle and it would over-rotate, thus falling off. I think I just happened to get 2 defective bottles because I bought another package of bottles and they fit perfectly. The pump was so quiet - there was absolutely no sound when I was pumping!

However, a few negative things:

1. I put the breast shield in a steam cleaner bag and it got all warped. I called Medela and they said those aren't to be steamed (a new discovery by them) so they sent me a free replacement.

2. If the pump tips over with milk in it, milk leaks out from where the bottle attaches to the pump.

3. After 3 months, my first pump started making "shhhhhhhh" noises whenever I pumped. I don't know what caused it, it just started one day. Then all of a sudden it lost suction. I took it apart, replaced the membrane, and it just wouldn't work anymore. Luckily I had a replacement pump so I took that out.

4. My second pump worked without any sound for 2 days, and then it started making the "shhhhhh" sound too. It's kind of annoying.

All in all, this is a good (and cheap) pump to use.
on September 22, 2015
Let me preface this by acknowledging that I hate pumping. With my first child, I was given an electric pump. It's loud, cumbersome to plug in and I don't yield a whole lot at a time via pumping (some women do, some don't, I still nursed for two years without any supply issues). Thankfully, being a stay at home mom, I didn't need to worry about making it work in my life, so I ignored it. With my second child I'm still in the same situation, except this child got into some weird nursing habit that had me worried about supply, so as per the suggestion of my lactation consultant, I was told to pump after feedings for a bit to ramp up the supply. I dreaded it, but I took out the electric pump, and after the first session I went on Amazon to look at other options. I ordered this, it showed up two days later, and I am the happiest mommy human cow ever (with ample milk supply).

It's quiet, easy to use, I can set the pressure I want, and because of all of it I am more relaxed. I am even getting more milk than I ever used to because I'm much less stressed about it. I know some moms love their electric pump and it works for them, but if my story resonates with any of you, I hope this review helps. As usual, Amazon is fast and awesome.

P.S. I have since recycled my electric pump thanks to Medela's new recycle program.
on March 7, 2015
I bought this to use at home on some occasions and now I have a second one at work to supplement my Pump In Style Advanced. I am able to get much more out during my pumping sessions using the Harmony. I actually use the Harmony after pumping with my PISA and can get an additional .5-1 ounce out. It's very easy to use and convenient if you use Medela brand items already.
on November 13, 2013
I am disappointed in this pump. The suction is just not good enough and was a wasted purchase as it is not something that can be returned.
on September 18, 2006
I got this pump because I wasn't sure if I would need an electric as a stay-at-home mom. This pump is easy to use and clean. The ergonomic pump handle is pretty easy on the hands and wrist (I could pump even when I had tendonitis which hurt when I moved my thumb). It does not take up much room when disassembled so it'll be great for travelling. I'm not that thrilled about the soft comfort flange that is provided. I prefer the regular plastic Medela flanges that come with their electric pumps. I find that I can get as much milk out of this manual pump as I can with the Medela Pump In Style electric in about the same time and this one makes a lot less noise (great for middle of the night pumping sessions to ease engorgement without waking my baby and husband up).

Also, just a note to some people having problems getting milk out with the Medelas... It may not be the pump itself but the size of the flanges. Every woman's breast and nipples are different sizes. Initially, I was using the standard 24mm flanges (suction cup things that go over your breasts). It was painful to pump and my milk would not come out even though I was engorged with plenty of milk. It would take me 2 hours just to get 2 oz of milk! I went to see a lactation consultant who suggested I try the next size up flanges (27mm). She got me one to try and it made a world of difference. I could immediately pump 2oz in under 5 mins. Now, I pump daily with my electric to stock up and can get 4 oz from both breasts in under 10 mins (estimate since I don't really time it cause it's so fast). I use either my electric of my manual depending on my mood, whether I need to double pump, if I need my hands free (then I use the electric) or if I'm going to pump somewhere besides my bedroom (i.e. living room while watching tv with my husband).

I am now planning to pump to donate my milk to a milk bank. This pump made a world of difference. I think Medela makes flanges in 3 different sizes. The standard 24mm that comes with all their pumps, the 27mm and a 30mm.