5.0 out of 5 stars Great product
Published on March 24, 2009 by jrg111

1.0 out of 5 stars For use in "ALL" #4 cone coffee makers?
Descriptions claims its for use in ALL, not MOST #4 Cone filtered coffee makers. Not so. Doesn't fit my Gevalia coffee maker -- I can't even close the lid. Not worth paying to return it, so I guess I'll cut the top ring and handle off and make it fit or throw it out.
Published on August 30, 2009 by Bryan

1.0 out of 5 stars For use in "ALL" #4 cone coffee makers?, August 30, 2009
Bryan (Buffalo, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medelco #4 Cone Permanent Coffee Filter (Kitchen)

2.0 out of 5 stars Significantly different than paper filters - less flavor, December 26, 2011
This review is from: Medelco #4 Cone Permanent Coffee Filter (Kitchen)
I had been using the brown unbleached paper filters, i liked the clean strong coffee i could get with the filters, but i wanted to make the move from non reusable paper coffee filters to something less wasteful.

This seemed like the best option based on great the reviews.

Here is why it is not comparable and not a good substitute:

The mesh is not fine enough. Water goes through twice or three times faster than through a paper coffee filter, so the coffee has lees time to infuse into the water.

The coffee you get with this filter is not "clean" as it is when using a paper filter but murky like with a french press, except not as rich as with a french press.

There is a lot more plastic on this than you can see in the image. The base of the filter is almost completely made of plastic.

I do not like hot liquids to come in contact with plastic, many studies have shown that plastics produce unhealthy chemicals especially when exposed to heat.

Because this is made of a combination of metal mesh and plastic on the bottom more water flows over the grounds and out the sides of the mesh when it is more full, once it gets closer to the plastic there is less mesh so the water flow is obstructed.

In a paper filter water travels down, but because of the design of this, water travels out to the sides, which means the water is flowing over a lot of the grounds rather than through them so the finer coffee grounds that release more flavor are less exposed to the water than the rougher grounds on top.

All of this adds up to less flavor extracted from the coffee and a more one dimensional watery kind of coffee.

A better design would have been to have a mesh screen at the bottom as well.

Overall, this is a bad replacement for paper filters. The design is lacking and the resulting coffee is both significantly different than paper filters but also less flavorful, with the added bonus of sludge at the bottom of your cup.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good substitute for the Braun UGSF4, February 11, 2009
wilbur (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medelco #4 Cone Permanent Coffee Filter (Kitchen)
I bought the Medelco #4 cone permanent coffee filter as a substitute for a Braun UGSF4 filter. Unfortunately, it's not a really good substitute. Although the Medelco coffee filter will fit in a Braun coffee maker, it's not as tall and tapered as the Braun UGSF4. As a result, it doesn't concentrate the coffee as much when it is moving through the filter so you have to substantially increase the amount of ground coffee that you are using for the same strength of coffee. So while the Medelco is initially cheaper than the corresponding Braun filter, one would end up spending much more money in the long run because you would use more ground coffee. My advice is to search the net (including e-bay) to find a genuine Braun gold filter...even though it will likely be more expensive than the Medelco filter, you'll be much happier in the long run.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not an exact replacement for paper, July 9, 2010
arkuz "arkuz" (Champaign IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medelco #4 Cone Permanent Coffee Filter (Kitchen)
I was getting frustrated discarding paper filters after only getting one use out of them. A permanent filter seems more ecologically sound, and more practical in the long run. This particular one seems to be constructed just fine, and fits my ceramic Melitta perfectly. However, the coffee it "brews" is not quite the same as what I get from paper (using the white Melitta filters). Firstly, hot water runs through this much more quickly, so the end result is weaker. Secondly, it allows a fine grit to pass through which influences taste, not in a better way, and also makes the brewed coffee a little bit cloudy. The fast pass-through seems nice, especially since I do not much like to wait for the paper filter and always have to fiddle with the grounds to get all the water to make its way through. But apparently that bit of stalling allows for better "brewing". I have experimented with slightly clogging the Melitta hole, which helps, but is a hassle. Maybe there is a specific Melitta with a specific hole size intended for permanent filters, don't know. Anyway, this device such as it is is fine, but the concept is a bit unsuccessful. I'm willing to keep testing it for a while to see if I get to the brew I want, but I suspect I'll be going back to paper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, March 24, 2009
jrg111 (Austintown, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medelco #4 Cone Permanent Coffee Filter (Kitchen)
I've been using this filter for about two weeks now. It is my first permanent filter, and I am very happy with its performance. It is solidly built, and with proper care should last quite a while. I debated on the high-end swiss gold filter, but thought the price was too high, so I figured I'd take a chance with this one with free shipping. I can't imagine how much better/different the swiss gold would be if any? I am using a fairly fine ground from a good, flat burr grinder, and have had no issues of grounds/sludge in my coffee. I also purchased a new Zojirushi coffee maker at the same time, so read my review on that as well if you're in the market for a good machine. This filter fits the Zoji perfectly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Medelco #4 Cone Permanent Coffee Filter, December 5, 2008
This review is from: Medelco #4 Cone Permanent Coffee Filter (Kitchen)
I purchased this because, after about 8 months or so, I started noticing tiny holes/tears forming in the bottom of the permanent filter that came from the factory with my Braun coffee maker. It seemed to allow some of the smaller coffee grounds to come through during brewing. This product partially solved the problem. However, a more general issue with these permanent filters is that, even when they are intact, they do not filter as many particulates from the coffee as a paper filter. If you grind your own beans as I do, and your grind is on the finer side, a certain amount of 'residue' is going to come through these filters that would be stopped by a paper filter. Just keep that in mind, and don't drink those last few drops!

3.0 out of 5 stars doesn't quite fit, March 27, 2010
C. Martin (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medelco #4 Cone Permanent Coffee Filter (Kitchen)
I bought it for a Gevalia coffee maker that I received as a gift. It is a bit too large diameter at the top. Thus it does not sit down in the coffee maker far enough. I cut some of the top to make it fit and use it anyway. I will buy a different brand next time. If you need to cut one, use tin snips as it is very hard and tends to crack even though it has the screen in the plastic.)(Medelco #4 Cone Permanent Coffee Filter

5.0 out of 5 stars Contributes to great coffee, November 25, 2009
J. Talmage (Mobile, AL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medelco #4 Cone Permanent Coffee Filter (Kitchen)
A couple of years ago, I received a French Press Coffee maker as a present, and it made coffee that was clearly superior to coffee made in the drip coffee maker. One morning I looked more closely at the coffee in the French Press and noticed oils on the surface and realized that the "moist" look on the beans was possibly oils. When making coffee in the French press, it had no paper filter, and I deduced that this was because there was no paper filter to absorb the oils. This could be remedied in my drip maker with a permanent mesh filter. I went through a couple of these before I finally bought this one, which fits my Zojirushi coffee maker. The quality of my coffee improved as the oils found their way through the filtering. I recommend this filter for all you picky coffee drinkers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wanted for use with a melitta, but it makes sludge., March 5, 2012
This review is from: Medelco #4 Cone Permanent Coffee Filter (Kitchen)
I was happy when this filter fit into my melitta.
I make a single cup of coffee twice a day and I was really going through filters, plus I read that using this type of filter would improve flavor.
This filter, even with a more coarse grind, makes a cup full of nasty tasting sludge.
Another reviewer compared it to a french press, that's not true, I have a french press and while it does a LITTLE sludge in the bottom of the cup it's nowhere near as bad as this.
Don't waste your time, money or coffee on this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good idea., July 5, 2011
This review is from: Medelco #4 Cone Permanent Coffee Filter (Kitchen)
it is a nice idea for saving money and paper, is easy to clean and fits perfectly, but it lets through very fine particles that can make the last cup a little sludgy.
I would recommend this to others, but with the warning not to swirl the pot or drink all of the coffee.

Medelco #4 Cone Permanent Coffee Filter