Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on December 17, 2011
This is more of a tutorial on how to set up your HDTV and PS3. I had a difficult time setting those up due to the fact that if you follow the instructions exactly the way they describe, it does not work. I had to figure it out through trial and error. So, inorder to minimize any frustrations of syncing your HDTV and PS3, follow these words exactly.

Syncing your remote with your PS3 is easy, you don't really need instructions but here it is...Simply go into your XMB under "Accessory Settings" under "Register BD Remote Control" and follow the onscreen prompt.
Now that's done, go into "System Settings" under "Control for HDMI" and turn if "OFF"!
The PS3 remote uses both Bluetooth technology as well as IR technology (Infrared).
Finally, point the remote directly to your HDTV and clear out any obstructions. Now, this is where it gets tricky. You must FIRST, HOLD DOWN the clear "TV" button which is under "DEVICES". Then SECOND, HOLD DOWN the "CLEAR" button under number 7 which is a "DOT". Hold down those two buttons for a few seconds then let go of the buttons. The clear "TV" button should be BLINKING! Now input the numbers listed on the back of the manual one by one. For example my Samsung is 301,302,303, and 304. Press (number), then press "ENTER" which is located on the very center of the remote. For me, 301 worked but I couldn't go into my TV's menu therefore I tried 302 and 303 and none of those worked at all however 304 worked perfectly. Programming your AMP is the same as your HDTV, just follow the above steps.

If you have your HDTV's correct number programmed, you should be able to change volumes without pressing the clear "TV" button everytime you want to change volumes. If you want to change any settings on your HDTV, you need to press the clear "TV" button under "DEVICES" and then press "TOP MENU" inorder to get into your TV settings. If you are satisfied with your TV settings and rarely go into your TV settings, then simply leave it on "PS3" so you can change your volume levels when watching movies or playing games.

This remote is very good and convenient and is definitely recommended. Wish it had illuminated buttons...
4040 comments| 258 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2012
If you threw away your instructions, here are some of the more popular remote codes for TV:

Sony: 201
Sharp: 222, 223, 224
Toshiba: 209, 210, 211, 212, 213, 214
Vizio: 281, 282
Zenith: 264, 265
2121 comments| 245 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2011
Amidst the hustle and bustle of moving to a new place, I lost the remote for my Samsung TV. Instead of getting a new remote for Samsung, I decided to give this PS3 remote a try. It worked out perfectly.

Programming is a standard fare for a universal remote in this price range -- you find your TV's model from the manual, and enter the corresponding code into the remote. There were 4 different codes for Samsung TV, and I had to try them one by one, and as my luck would have it, it was the last one I tried that worked for my TV. But once the correct code was entered, it worked beautifully. Not only did it handle the basic functions like volume, channel, and input selection, the remote could even navigate the TV's setting menu, which I found to be a very pleasant surprise. Pressing the Subtitle button (the one you would normally press while watching DVD/Bluray) while the remote is in TV mode let me turn on/off the Closed Caption function of my Samsung television too. I have absolutely zero need for a Samsung remote now.

And of course, pairing the remote with my PS3 was a cinch. All in all, from unwrapping the packaging, to inserting the included 2xAAA batteries into the remote, to pairing it with PS3, and to finding the right code for my TV, the whole set-up process took maybe 10 minutes. Probably less.

I should mention that I've been a console gamer for 20+ years now. That is to say, using a game controller like the PS3 controller is a second nature to me. I have no problem using the DVD/Bluray function with the PS3 controller. But my guests don't share my familiarity with the PS3 controller, and that was the primary reason why I decided to get this remote. But now that I've actually used it, I find that it really *is* easier to control the DVD/Bluray function with the remote than with the PS3 controller.

One feature I really like is the 15-second skip function. Normally, that function is accessed by pressing the triangle button on the PS3 controller, and then selecting the correct icon. In other words, it takes multiple button/d-pad presses with a PS3 controller, and consequently, I've never used it. But the remote has a dedicate set of buttons for that function (backward and forward). So if I miss a bit of dialogue or action while watching a film, instead of rewinding and playing back again, I just have to press one button, and it instantly goes back 15 seconds. This is really, really convenient.

One minor negative is that, like another reviewer mentioned, the weight balance feels off. It's rather top-heavy, which is accentuated by the fact that the volume and channel buttons are located way at the bottom of the remote. It's not a big deal, and you quickly learn to get used to it, but it's one of those minor details that you wish Sony had gotten right.

For those who use their PS3 as their primary DVD/Bluray playback device, I can wholeheartedly recommend this remote. This is one of those items that I did not know I needed until I tried it.
33 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I did not think I needed yet another remote control because I thought the six-axis had everything it needed for movie playing on the PS3 and, yet, I bought one. There were 2 initial reasons:

- my wife was missing a 'magic wand' shaped remote for playing movies
- Amazon had it at a great price in one of them lightning deals

I ended up using it myself and, in fact, using it for more than just movie playing - see below.

But, let's do a quick inventory of features:

= It's blue-tooth enabled and, therefore, it's not taking any ports on your PS3. This is probably important for anyone who has a "2-USB ports console".
= It's wand-shaped, allowing the non-gamers to control their movie-watching activities while holding a familiar-shaped device in their hand.
= It maps ALL the six-axis buttons and performs everything a six-axis would do, except for the joystick features of R3 and L3 (but you do have the push-down or 'click' abilities for them).
= Includes additional buttons that the movie-only users would expect on a remote such as:
+ a number pad
+ eject
+ red, green, blue, yellow buttons
+ play, stop, pause
+ slow(step), scan(left/right), prev/next
+ display, top menu, pop up menu, return
+ subtitles, angle, audio
= 2 AA battery powered (still with the original Sony batteries after 4 months of use)

What is interesting about this remote is that you can use it for much more than movie-playing. Given that it has all the six-axis buttons, guess what? You can use it, and I do use it to:

- surf the web
- play music
- shop at the PSN store
- play certain games such as Sudoku
- turn the PS3 on/off when your six-axis controllers are in the charger and I am playing GT5 that is using a racing wheel

And, yes, you CAN turn the PS3 on and off with this remote. Turning it on is easy - you simply press the PlayStation button and the PS3 turns itself on. To turn it off, you either go as far to the left on the X-bar and all the way up and press Enter (the turn-off PlayStation icon will be highlighted) or you simply hold the PlayStation button pressed for a few seconds and then select 'yes' and press the X button a couple of times.

Overall: I am happy with this peripheral. Yes, it's one more remote control but it's a pretty good one, for the reasons I stated above.
33 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2012
I replaced my original model PS3 remote with this newer model - I was instantly drawn to the new model that included volume controls and could power my TV & soundbar on and off. However I only gave it 3 stars because it feels like a lot cheaper quality than its predecessor. It's just not as chic. I also don't like the new placement of the useless colored (red green yellow blue) buttons. I preferred the row of buttons containing the menu buttons where they previously were, directly above the arrows and enter button, it made it easy to hit in the dark. Also seems like theres a half-second delay when pressing things whereas the first model was instantaneous. So, not a home run here.

2/3/12 additional - have to say, and both remotes do this, I think it is BEYOND annoying when you addidentally hit any button on the remote it turns the console on and you have to switch over to the dang PS3 input to turn it off. What a stupid, STUPID feature. Dumb.
44 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2012
I use a PS3 as a component of my home tv/movie system so it is connected to an 3D HD TV and an AV Amplifier. It enables me to watch Netflix, Amazon video content and blu-ray disks with one device (not to mention play great games). I thought it would be great to be able to control all of them with one remote. Since the PS3 uses bluetooth and my TV and amp use IR for their remotes, this remote, which combines both, seemed ideal. It is not.

On the box it says "Access the endless entertainment options of you TV, audio, and Playstation 3 system without leaving the comfort of your couch." Sounds great! It is unfortunately typical of how Sony manages to screw things up by acting like the universe revolves around them. It will control most TVs and it does a fine job with my Samsung model and it is great for controlling the PS3 especially when watching media content but if you don't notice the asterisk * next to the audio or amp remote you may not realize that it ONLY controls Sony amps. Why? This basically makes it useless since I still need an extra remote control for my Onkyo amp and my Onkyo remote is also programmable so it can control my tv.

What is it with Sony? They messed up the PSP with proprietary disks and they have great cameras but I won't touch them because of the exhorbitant cost of their memory sticks. This would be such a great remote if it controlled my av amp, too. It clearly can control an amp since it works with Sony amps and they provide codes for a wide range of TVs so it can be switched to work with different devices. I have a suggestion for Sony: Instead of saying on the box that it can "control your PS3 system, TV, and AMP*" it should say it "controls your PS3 system, TV and Sony Amp" because that is all it controls. The asterisk is just deceptive. Shame on Sony for making such a poor choice in the design of the remote control and for deceptively presenting the capabilities of the remote.
44 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2012
I have tried it for at least 2 months and I have nothing to complain about it!, on the contrary this remote controller does more than I was expecting, perfectly interacting with the Samsung HDTV.

The way how it is programmed to interact with your HDTV is a little trickier if you stick to the instructions manual, instead you must first, hold down the clear "TV" button (under "devices"), then hold down "clear" button (which is under number 7, the one with a dot). Hold down those two buttons for a few seconds then let go of the buttons.

If you use the PS3 to watch movies, this accessory is a must, give a try ... by the way I'm a big fan of the instant replay buttons (below the select and start buttons).
review image review image review image review image
on December 5, 2011
I received my PlayStation 3D display and, as you must know, remote control is not included. Because of that i ordered it and works easily without any problem. You can control your TV and your PS3 too. Totally recommended.
on May 14, 2014
Are these people at Sony daft or something? Why on earth doesn't the PS3 remote work with the PS4?
And, why on earth haven't they released a PS4 media remote yet?

Neither makes any sense and is infuriating. Using a PS4 controller to watch movies stinks in every possible way.
on March 19, 2011
We just started watching movies on our PS3 and until now I haven't had anything to do with the gaming system. This remote makes much more sense than the game controller for those of us used to DVD remotes!