5.0 out of 5 stars Practical experience meshes with academic theory
Published on May 1, 2009 by Dana E. Creasy

3.0 out of 5 stars good, with notable exceptions
Published on September 24, 2010 by Alchymyst

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical experience meshes with academic theory, May 1, 2009
Dana E. Creasy (Bloomsburg, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mass Media in a Changing World (Paperback)
I was privileged to review the proofs of the first edition of this book prior to its first publication (by a different publisher) while in graduate school. One reason I was asked to do so was from my perspective of over 20 years in the radio and television industries, mostly on the network level. Another was I had met the author while applying to Brooklyn College for graduate school, although I eventually went somewhere else. The review process helped me to get inside Rodman's mind and see what he was trying to accomplish, and - hopefully, through my remarks in the review reports - help guide that process in a positive way.

Several years later, I began teaching college myself and selected the text and accompanying workbook for my basic introductory course to mass media. I found that the three-fold approach in each chapter provided not only the encyclopedic knowledge necessary, but with the meshing of industry examples and discussion of controversies, the solid underpinnings of a good understanding of the mass media students need.

I've used this book in two editions and in two colleges and find it well received for the most part, with a few who don't quite "get it" of course, and many of my students have said that combined with my lecture style of using the book to reinforce stories from my professional world experience, it helped them focus on a field within mass communications that really interested them.

I really don't think you could go wrong with picking George Rodman's book for a class. Of the many, many texts for an introductory media course, this stands out with the best of them!

3.0 out of 5 stars good, with notable exceptions, September 24, 2010
This review is from: Mass Media in a Changing World (Paperback)
bought this for a college course in Mass Media. Good basics, however, it is a 2009 edition, and some of the info should have been updated - for example it lists "hotwired" (now WIRED) as an example of online media - but hotwired stopped publishing in 2006. Also, the index is kinda spotty, meaning that some key terms are not even listed, and others are listed as being on a certain page, but they are not. I expect a bit more rigorous fact checking and editing from a textbook. Also at least one passage so far seems to have been directly lifted from a 10 year old NYT article without attribution - naughty naughty. I tried to leave feedback on their online "student companion" website, but the feedback feature has been disabled. Since this is a required text, I had to buy it, but if I was teaching the course I might shop around for a better text.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mind Numbing Detail, June 16, 2008
There are sections of this text that read like a dictionary...paragraph after paragraph of definitions. The section on the Internet devotes several pages to the history of the medium, going back to the 1960s. My instructor told us he chose this book because it had truly current case studies (in both the book and the DVD). Yet I found these current examples were less effective than I expected...perhaps because I had already "lived" them?

5.0 out of 5 stars Healpful, May 11, 2013
It was required for my class at SFCC in WA. I loved it and learned a lot. It was a super cheep textbook too because it is the older edition, always ask your teacher if you can get the last edition not the required newest one!.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, December 4, 2012
I learned a lot about how media effects our day to day lives and how we as a society adjust to these changes.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book looks so good!, October 4, 2012
This book is so good! I am glad that i choose this, it is really clean and new, and no pages lost.

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT compatible with Kindle for Android, August 28, 2011
This Kindle version is NOT compatible with "Kindle for Android" app. This is not written anywhere in the description as far as I can tell. This would have been a helpful bit of information for me to have BEFORE I puchased it.
As fas as content is concerned (I am able to view it on "Kindle for PC" app) the book is a required textbook for me. I have found it to be very accessible and the layout is appealing so far. Although it would be even more "accessible" to me if I was actually able to view it on the device I purchased it for:(

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good., March 29, 2011
This review is from: Mass Media in a Changing World (Paperback)
The book came on time so I can't complain there. The front cover was a bit more beat up than I expected it to be, but other than that it was in a pretty good condition.

Mass Media in a Changing World
Mass Media in a Changing World by George R. Rodman (Paperback - February 5, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.01