Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now DOTD

on March 21, 2012
Just a quick primer on different kinds of network throughput:

Wireless standard 802.11g can support about 54 megabits per second, while the more recent 802.11n standard goes up to 300 Mbps. Wired Ethernet connections using Cat 5e cable can safely support 100 megabits per second and might be able to go higher. Wiring with Cat 6 can support up to 1,000 megabits per second. And Internet downlink speeds for companies like Comcast are in the range of 20-25 megabits per second ( some vendors might be higher). Network controllers are also a constraint, with older controllers supporting 54 Mbps (wireless) and 100 Mbps (wide) and newer controllers supporting 300 Mbps (wireless) and 1,000 Mbps (wired).

What does this mean? Basically, for home networks, whether you go wireless or wired, Cat 5e or Cat 6, you're still likely to have throughput capacity that exceeds what your Internet service provider is using. So you really can't go wrong. Commercial networks have different considerations, which I'm not addressing here.

My own home network supports in the range of 6-8 devices. The split is pretty even between those devices that are hardwired and those that are wireless. I use cabling where I want to be absolutely certain I have enough throughput capacity to support things like large downloads and video or audio streaming. That tends to mean hardwiring my desktop, my Ethernet-ready Blu-Ray player, and my Roku box. Everything else is wireless.

For me, Ethernet cabling has become a generic commodity where price and convenience trump more technical considerations. I have cables from MediaBridge, RiteAV, and Cables To Go. They're all pretty much the same in that they are soundly constructed, have decent connectors, are snagless, are not susceptible to crosstalk or other interference, etc. Being able to pick different colors is, for me, more important than a specific brand. Also, I tend to buy Cat 6 these days although there is really no noticeable difference in throughput no matter what spec I am using.

These cables are fine. If you decide to go wired rather than wireless, they are a good choice. I purchase cables of 3-6 feet to link equipment on the same rack, 9-12 feet for units alongside my controller, 20 feet for units across the room from the controller, and 50 feet for units in the next room. This is for a two-bedroom apartment. Different colors help me to distinguish between the different network links.

I hope this helps.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 18, 2009
Both major ethernet suppliers in this area are loath to make home calls just for a ethernet cable. Confined to a residential care home means I have to do most of my "shopping" on the net. When this ethernet cable arrived and it was hooked up, this little Aspire One computer picked up speed about 50% right away. It costs a _lot_ less that what Comcast charged for the visit. A good cable is essential, from what I've read and this one appears to be good for years. A very good buy and well worth the few dollars it cost.
on March 18, 2010
Works like it should for a lot cheaper than anywhere else! I used it to network my printers and computers. Great deal!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Plugged it in and worked perfectly-what more can you ask. Cables seem well made, and the boots fit tightly enough that it seems like they will stay in place for a while.

They certainly are RED
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 30, 2014
Got this (direct from Amazon) because I needed a good quality cable that gives me good distance to a secondary computer that I wanted to put out of the way. This cable appears to be good quality and connected with no issues and works very reliably over the network. At 6 bucks it is a decent price for 15 foot cable.
on November 2, 2010
The snag-proof thing isn't exactly what's pictured. Instead, it's a firm flap the same width as the prong you use to disconnect the cord over it. Not a big deal, considering it's still excellent snag-proofing, and I don't really need snag-proof. Excellent cable, as I bought it so I could match it to my red Xbox. Works wonderfully, and I haven't lost connection through it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 8, 2011
Don't over pay for Ethernet (or HDMI). Many people do. Don't get too cheap. Many people do this too. Dollar store Ethernet Cables will not work well.

I bought two of these 15' Mediabridge cables. They are solid, good cables for an unbeatable price. I use both Ethernet and Wireless in my home. I find that no matter what router you buy, a $18 TP-Link or a far more expensive Linksys, Netgear or D-Link, wireless is security risky (unless your network is located in a rural area) & it is unreliable in urban settings. There is just too much interference. Speeds vary different times of the day and different days of the week. Disconnect will happen. With the ever growing supply of free software that simplifies cracking Network security measures, no matter what you do your network will be penetrated, people will connect and use your Internet which will slow you down. I simply do not have these problems using Ethernet. Important Internet use I do only on an Ethernet connected computer.

I use long cables. Two 15' and two 75 foot. Replacing a 75' cable in a house is work, unless you simply throw it down and make people negotiate a cord all the time. I demand quality cable for two reasons, time lost replacing them and I want the Internet speeds I pay for. Its insane to pay over $100 for a Monster Cable. Its just as unproductive to buy a $6 75' cable off eBay or from a local discount store. Mediabridge cables are quality cables for a reasonable price. Its that simple.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 26, 2014
Five stars says I love it and I think that's maybe going a little to far. It's a five star cable however, but owning over 1000 cables how can I love them all? For 6 months I've used this in situations, so it gets plugged in 2-3 times a week and is holding up well.
on December 11, 2012
I bought several of these, each in different colors. The long blue 25-footer, I got for my most remote computer, because I won't use wireless and I won't network. This red one, I got for a computer in the next room. I also got the beige, black, and yellow ones. Each color references its size. Handy way to organize.

MORE: Since XFINITY only allows one box, I have to disconnect and reconnect the Ethernet cable per computer. It's no big deal, like turning on a lightswitch, because I placed the modem box Comcast provides, centrally. So the only issue was to get different lengths and colors of cords.

So, each machine has its own 'color' cable plugged into its back, and then five or six computers all have their cords 'string' to the modem box. So I just lift the modem box when putting a given computer online, unplug one cable to the other computer(s), and plug in the one I want to use. Simpler than going offline via computer commands. Sometimes low-tech is better. :)

It's kinda handy too, because when rendering a video or doing backup, I don't want to be online with that machine, and it's a hassle to click and manipulate My Network to turn it off. Better to just unplug from the modem. Again, with XFINITY/Comcast, since you are limited to one box, if you don't want to mess with or learn network connecting/routers/etc. this is an easy solution for multiple computers around the house/apartment. So the colors, matter.

I don't like the rubberized cover that protects the plastic Ethernet connector, but the people who designed these must have felt it important for a reason.
on May 29, 2012
I don't purchase data cables from anywhere else. The mark-up on these items is absolutely insane. Mediabridge is so reasonable it is hard to believe the prices. Quick shipping and the cables work great.