1,533 Reviews
 (1,011)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine - Fix for Windows 7 Posted Here
I had an issue on Windows 7 with Control Panel/Devices not loading, and not finding any bluetooth devices. But I found a fix.
I'm an advanced computer user who does a lot of work with computers, so I know how to get around a computer and get it to do what I want.
Published on July 12, 2011 by Michael Perez

Published on July 17, 2011 by throcko

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine - Fix for Windows 7 Posted Here, July 12, 2011
This review is from: Medialink USB Bluetooth Adapter - Version 4.0 (Newest Available) Class 2 Smart Ready Adapter with Low Energy Technology - Compatible with Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Windows Vista (Personal Computers)
This device comes in a small box, which is actually quite decent looking for a device this small (I didn't really expect a box even). My previous adapter was a generic one that was super cheap, but it worked. Unfortunately, BlueSoleil (software controls for bluetooth) only got me so far with it and it did not work with my new bluetooth headphones (Nokia BH-905i), so I bought this.
The instructions are easy to follow, and the BEST part about them is that they are in grammatically correct English! That's a novelty these days. The adapter does fit really snugly into your port, so make a good decision as you probably won't get this out without a good yank. It has a blue glow that blinks when in use (slowly), so make sure it's out of sight if you work in low light.
It comes with 2 mini CD's with drivers for 7/Vista and XP. It uses the WIDCOMM stack, and took about 15 minutes to install (which is unusually long).

If your control panel/devices and printers is locking up (Windows Vista/7), here is a solution that seems to work for most people:

I am not sure if it was due to using BlueSoleil (I had a generic adapter that died after like 4 years of use; BlueSoleil is a different 'bluetooth stack') in the past, but I don't really want to go back and check. The issue is that when you do get all the drivers installed, when you go to Control Panel>Hardware and Sound, it totally locks up and shows nothing (Looks like its loading, but never finishes). You also can't add any devices. This is because the "Bluetooth Support Service" is disabled. I don't know why it is disabled. To enable it (and add devices/view any devices (wired/wireless)), go to start, type in 'services.msc' and open the result of the same name. Find "Bluetooth Support Service". Right click it, go to properties, and set the startup type to "Automatic", and click Apply/OK. Then right click the item again and click "Start". Now your menus should load.

I like it, and once I have bluetooth 3.0 devices, I'll like it even more.
Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Medialink - USB Bluetooth Adapter - Windows 7 Compatible (Newest Version Available - Bluetooth Version 3.0 Class 2), May 18, 2011
First, let me tell you that I am a very senior citizen, no techie for sure. This is my first experience with Bluetooth technology, and it couldn't be a more satisfying one. Installing my Medialink USB Adapter could not have been easier. I'm using Windows 7 operating system. I simply followed the directions provided with my purchase. I inserted the the mini-disc and was imediately instructed to insert the USB Adapter into the USB port. Presto! Bluetooth was up and running. I then went to the Hardware and Sound Section in my control panel and set the sound default to Bluetooth. I can now get up and move about with out missing a word. The sound quality is terrific, and I am extremely hearing impaired. I love this product. You will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfect!, June 9, 2011
This little Bluetooth dongle was so easy to install and use. No issues at all. I have my mouse, headphones and Droid all linked to it now. I've been considering buying a second one for our desktop computer so my husband can use the headphones for gaming. Lack of Bluetooth connectivity was one thing that disappointed me about my new laptop, but this little chip solved that problem for very little money. Don't waste your money on a cheap one that may or may not work, just spend a little more and get this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great w/ Ubuntu Linux, March 24, 2012
In a few months, most distros should have the patch to the Linux kernel driver that makes this a friendly, no-hassle plug-and-play experience. That's when I'd give this product a full 5 stars.

Else, if needed, just create a file /etc/modprobe.d/medialink-btusb.conf and put this one line in it:

install usb:v0A5Cp21E8d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip* /sbin/modprobe btusb; echo 0a5c 21e8 > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/btusb/new_id

Detailed explanation: This device is handled just fine by the stock btusb kernel module. The issue is that the driver does not recognize the exact USB vendor/product ID. However, the driver was fixed just a few weeks ago. It'll just take a little time for your favorite Linux distro update to pick up the fix.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, September 17, 2011
Great product, just as advertise. As I followed the step listed below by another Amazon user (sorry, I do not remember his name), I did not have any issues on Windows 7. My HTC Evo 4G and my Plantronics bluetooth stereo headset work perfectly with the Medialink USB bluetooth Adapter.

Here below are the steps I followed:

There was one problem though. The issue is that when you do get all the drivers installed, when you go to Control Panel>Hardware and Sound, it totally locks up and shows nothing. You also can't add any devices. This is because the "Bluetooth Support Service" is disabled. I don't know why it is disabled. To enable it (and add devices/view any devices (wired/wireless)), go to start, type in 'services.msc' and open the result of the same name. Find "Bluetooth Support Service". Right click it, go to properties, and set the startup type to "Automatic", and click Apply/OK. Then right click the item again and click "Start". Now your menus should load.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me with 64-bit Windows7 Home Premium, but did work with XP, July 17, 2011
I consider myself fairly computer-savvy, and following about 3 hours of attempts to install this adapter onto my Windows7 machine, I've had no luck at getting it to function properly; I've been unable to "discover" the existence of either of the 2 Bluetooth devices that I own. I tried installing the adapter to see if I'd have luck with my laptop, which runs Windows XP Professional, and it installed with no trouble whatsoever(including discovering my Bluetooth devices). For my Windows7 machine I've tried the drivers that come on the Medialink-supplied (WindowsVista/7) mini-CD, the drivers at MediaLink's website ([...]), and the drivers from the Broadcom.com website, all to no avail.

8/14/11 update: I've given-up on this adapter, and tried another (Cirago BTA-6130 together with drivers downloaded from Cirago's website) that is working for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great in Linux, May 12, 2012
Dusty Wilson (Western Washington State, US) - See all my reviews
This works fine in Linux but only if you add an extra file that will allow the device to be recognized as a Bluetooth adapter. Eventually the various Linux distros will get updated with this, but that probably won't happen until at least the next big release. After making that change, everything works exactly as expected in Linux. It's smaller than the Bluetooth dongle that this one replaced. As soon as the distros are updated, you won't have to do any driver installs or setup to get this going, just like most other Bluetooth dongles (yay Linux).

Instructions can be found by searching for Ubuntu 11897463 with your favorite search engine. Or you can search for the hardware ID of 0a5c:21e8. Below are those instructions as well.

Create /etc/modprobe.d/medialink-btusb.conf and populate it with the next line, and then reboot:

Without that instruction, this device is completely useless in Linux as it doesn't register as a Bluetooth device in any way whatsoever.

3.0 out of 5 stars How to fix the driver issue, March 15, 2012
sss (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
My plan was to use this product so I could use some Logitech Wireless headphones with my PC. Be warned the drivers that are supplied with the device have issues, and if you go to the (somewhat limited) medialink website, they don't even list this specific product, and the drivers for download there are _older_ than the ones shipped!

To explain the problem - I installed the drivers, and tried to use with my headphones. I'd right click on the 'Logitech Headset' icon in the bluetooth section and click 'control' to set up, and the device driver crashes out in 'BTWUIExt' exception.

After a fair amount of hunting around I found a way to fix it. I uninstalled all of the drivers supplied. The chip inside the device is from broadcom - so I went and downloaded the WIDCOMM drivers directly from broadcom, from here (...)

Once I did that things actually started to work!

It took me several hours of frustration to figure this out, so hopefully this will help someone else out there.

It's hard for me to give a review score - as it's too early to say, I need to use it more. I'm glad it seems to now work - but in terms of first user experience, it was not good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what I hoped for..., May 3, 2011
Mike O'Neil (Edmonds, WA USA) - See all my reviews
So far, so great. I wanted something that would allow me to listen to audio coming from my laptop...currently we bicker about her not wanting to hear whatever I have playing on Youtube or whatever while she's cooking dinner or watching TV and I am working.

Or I want to do some work around the house and I want to listen to an online course or workshop...but just playing it on my laptop doesn't cut it since the audio won't project as I move room to room

Enter this product. Could not get any easier to install; even Homer Simpson couldn't screw this up. Just push it into your USB port and you are done. I didn't have to install anything. Worked great with my bluetooth earpiece (Jawbone which I also like). Problem solved. I can now listen to audio on my laptop anytime...whether my wife is watching TV or if I want to wander around our house.

Range seems to be about 30 feet depending on walls. Fairly easy for me to fix however if need be by moving my laptop.

Fantastic product for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Bluetooth Adapter, October 23, 2011
Prof W (New Milford, NJ) - See all my reviews
I needed this adapter for my ASUS netbook running the Windows 7 Starter (32bit) operating system. The netbook does not have a DVD drive so I networked the netboook to my desktop and shared the desktop's DVD drive to install the software from the mini-disk.

I followed the instructions and everything went smoothly. Pairing with my Motorola S305 Bluetooth Stereo Headset was a breeze. (Make sure you follow the directions for your specific Bluetooth device.) At first, it takes a bit of practice to disconnect and reconnect the adapter to the headset - but once you get the knack, it becomes routine.

The unit handles both the earphones and the microphone correctly. I suspect that the sound quality is limited by the headset and not, in any way, by the USB Bluetooth adapter.

I'm really very satisfied with the Medialink - USB Bluetooth Adapter and recommend it with confidence. (I haven't yet tried it with my desktop running Windows 7 Professional (64bit).

UPDATE:
I tried it with my Desktop running Windows 7 Professional (64bit). It installed just as easily as it did on my netbook and works perfectly. I used it successfully with Skype, Google Voice, Windows Media player and all my Windows audio players.

UPDATE 2
After disconnecting the device from my computer, I couldn't reconnect it the next day -- even though the computer showed that it was already paired. I called MediaLink tech support and they couldn't help me connect. So I would advise those with Windows 64 bit to consider this.

UPDATE 3 -Success:
The MediaBridge tech support person emailed me a link to the Widcomm Software site [...]. I downloaded, installed the latest software, and it has been working just fine in Win 64. I needed to un-pair my Motorola S305 headset (by deleting it "Devices and Printers") and re-pairing it. To use the device I do the following:

1.Insert the adapter in to a USB port and wait for the Bluetooth icon to appear.
2.Right-click on the Bluetooth icon in the system tray and turn on the adapter.
3.Turn on my headset and wait about 15 seconds until it's discovered.

And that's it. It has been working consistently.

One additional point. I found, that the adapter might not connect to your device if it is not plugged in when you boot the machine. Make sure that the adapter is plugged in when you boot the machine.