5,667 Reviews
 (3,818)

1,751 of 1,872 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Quite surprised with this one!
Published on November 1, 2010 by 1.21 Gigawatts

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse than any other brand out there
Overall this wireless router is a pretty good product. Good signal, looks nice, and great size.

Published on June 8, 2011 by Mackie

1,751 of 1,872 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Quite surprised with this one!, November 1, 2010
This review is from: Medialink Wireless-N Broadband Router with Internal Antenna (150 Mbps) - 2.4GHz - 802.11b/g/n - Compatible with Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows XP / Mac OS X / Linux (Electronics)
Well, now having the need for a wireless N network I did a bit of research into which router I should buy. After reading so many positive reviews, I kept teetering on whether or not I should try this one out... especially since I hadn't heard of the company and the price point was so low. Eventually I figured "what could it hurt" and ordered it. I immediately got an email from the company thanking me for the order which included the support information if needed. That was a nice touch.

The bottom line is that I'm VERY glad I ordered this. Set up was a breeze if you follow the very simple instructions to the letter. I was up and running in minutes.

My other concern was how well it would sing with my Cisco Wireless N Bridge(The Cisco-Linksys WET610N Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming and Video Adapter)in my living room which is notoriously finicky with non-Cisco product integration. I'm very pleased to report that it immediately started communicating once set up, and has been rock solid for 3 days streaming Hi Def 720p and 1080p video. The signal strength is fantastic and has out performed other routers I have owned in the past. Time will tell how it holds up over the long run. I will update this post if anything goes awry.

Finally as icing on the cake, the router just looks cool. Thats always a happy bonus!

The only negative I could find is that the tech support line isn't 24 hours. Seeing as how I didn't need it, I suppose that really isn't a negative in the truest sense.

I'm a heavy Amazon user who doesn't even write reviews yet felt compelled to for this gem. A Great product, at a great price, and easy set up. Who could ask for more?

*** EDIT 06/14/11 Wow, there are a ton of comments on my review and I thought it would be a good idea to chime in again. Here we are about 8 months after my purchase and the router is still going strong. I have noticed that there was some signal degradation about 3 months in, but I changed the broadcast channel and it cleared up. Whether that was a fix or coincidence I don't know. As far as I can remember it only dropped once and I had to reset it. Not sure what people are expecting, but I thought (and still think) I got fantastic bang for the buck. And to answer some of the people implying I somehow work for the company that makes or markets it: I absolutely do not! I just was pleasantly surprised and wanted to share.

*** EDIT 09/11/12 I've come to bury Caesar, not to praise him. Well, that's not entirely accurate. Bottom line is my router finally died on me. Not so much "died" as sputtered out a slow pulsating death. My earlier review still stands though, this had fantastic bang for the buck while it lasted and handled download speeds to my wireless laptop as fast as my ethernet wired server. Anyway, I noticed it was bouncing a day ago and called their VERY friendly tech support. They mentioned a new firmware update and gave me some instructions on updating and hard resetting which ended up having no effect on the situation. Obviously, since it was out of warranty there wasn't much else they could do, so I sent them a video of it doing "it's thing" in case they ran across any similar scenarios in the future. I suppose its time to look at a new router. Might still go with this one though. I'll update if I do! :)

*** EDIT 11/20/12 "Just when I thought I was done, you pull me back in!" Have a very relevant followup... It appears that there was indeed a power surge on the circuit that most likely killed the router. After writing my update, I noticed that my Roku player as well as another device I hadn't thought of checking was dead as a doornail. I thought I should update since some were thinking this was a fault of the device. Turns out it wasn't. Makes me feel even better about ordering the replacement. :) All's well that ends well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse than any other brand out there, June 8, 2011

The only issue that we consistently have is that it seems to lose signal fairly often. When our power went out and things turned back on, it took the router about 10 minutes to finally connect. The modem was working, which I checked with an ethernet plugged in directly, but the router just wouldn't connect. While some people may think that it isn't a big deal but the frustrating part is how consistent it has become.

I will say that when the router is not losing signal, it works great!

Update 7/4/11:

This router continues to drop signal worse than ever. Also, today it will only connect when an ethernet cable is plugged in, will not connect wirelessly.

Wish I could return it for something else. I had a cheapo Dynex wireless router before this one and it worked 10X better.

Definitely would not recommend to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poort Quality, Insecure, Broke in a Year, Bad Customer Service, May 3, 2014
This is the worst router I have ever purchased. I was so deceived by the number of 5 star reviews.
Security:
This router displays your login password in CLEAR TEXT! I wrote customer service about this as it should just be a firmware upgrade to fix this and they told me to buy a different model! What kind of answer is that??

Quality:
The administration page looks like it was made by an amateur. As mentioned, password is in clear text, the password is limited in length. You cannot configure it to bring you to advanced settings upon login either.

The router worked for for almost a year (July 2013 to May 2014). It just died today. Good riddance! I would never purchase a Medialink product again.

1.0 out of 5 stars This router is actually a $15.00 Tenda W268R in Black, February 2, 2012
As a WiFi performance junkie, I ordered one these when I saw the great reviews. I was surprised that it broadcasts its manufacturer's name as "Tenda" when viewed with a wireless detection utility like inSSIDer-V2. (Google search "inssider" to download this free utility)

The Medialink also seems to have the the same Tenda W268R case except with a new color.

Before testing the Medialink unit, I updated the firmware to the latest version.

Weaker Signal Than Most:
I had already tried the Tenda W268R and then donated it to my church's garage sale because its range was not quite comparable to other popular routers. The measured performance of this Medialink unit is identical to the Tenda W268R.

Problem with iPad & Android Phone
With a few days of use I have had frequent issues with a Samsung-Android Phone and an iPad-2 being able to connect to any web site including Google search. Other internet protocols would work, like Active Sync for Exchange-Server email, but no web sites. This issue would appear on both mobile devices at the same time, but Windows 7 computers could continue to access web sites. I can't figure this out but it happens off and on every day. I believe the Samsung phones and iPads share some networking components . . maybe thats why they have a problem and the PC doesn't. If I connect the mobile devices to a Buffalo brand access point on the same network, there is never a problem.

Differences from the Tenda W268R

1. Taking a page out of Apple's playbook, Medialink has beautiful packaging and apparently great customer service. And like Apple it charges more than twice the $15.00 typical price of the equivelent physcial product with the Tenda label.

2. The dark colored plastic case look much nicer than the white Tendra version.

3. MediaLink has improved the firmware, but the web interface it is still visually primitive. There is 1 non-sensical phrase in the latest firmware web interface that looks like a Chinese to English translation glitch.

Similarities to the Tenda W268R
1. Everything Else

One suggestion: Wireless routers are often used as Wireless Access Points as familys add extra WiFi access points in their homes so their X-Boxes and Media Players are in reach of WiFi. It would be nice if it had the option to "Disable" the WAN interface that is not functional when the unit is used as a Wireless Access point. Most wireless routers have this option. It may serve no material purpose, but it provides the satisfaction of configuring the unit for its specific role on your network.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unstable internet connection / lags frequently, May 18, 2011
I bought this wireless router to replace a Linksys wireless-N router that died after 3 years of use, which worked perfectly fine until its demise. I chose this router due to its price and the number of 5-star reviews. What I should have paid more attention to were the critical reviews.

I had no problems setting up and connecting to the router, as I followed the instructions to the letter. I was able to wirelessly connect my laptop, iPhone and iTouch with no problems. Also, the signal strength was similar to the previous router I owned, so there are no issues there.

The problem with this router is that it doesn't provide a stable connection which causes it to lag frequently. I play online games that require a stable connection because of the continuous communication and constant interaction. While playing an online game, I will experience very frequent lags which typically last for up to 5 seconds before resuming connectivity. As a gamer, this is unacceptable and makes the game virtually unplayable.

Did I get a bad apple? I am not going to find out...this router is being returned for a refund. I have never returned anything I have ordered online before (I do most of my shopping online now) and have never felt compelled to write a review (first time for both). Congratulations MediaLink!

1.0 out of 5 stars Serious Problems, April 24, 2011
At first I was impressed with this wireless router but I soon changed my mind. First concern, the router internal date was not settable. No matter which time zone you selected, it always defaulted back to "Arizona". I'm guessing a firmware issue. Not a show stopper though. What WAS a show stopper was that somehow and at some unknown time, the router reset back to it's defaults. All my security settings were gone. I have no idea how long this was occurring. The SSID was reset. The MAC address filtering was reset and gone. The WPA-TKIP encryption was gone. The router became an open access point to anybody and everybody in the area. This is not acceptable for ANY wireless router at ANY time. Although the price point for this device is attractive, I would strongly avoid this unit until it matures to the point it can reliably hold onto it's security settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars The easiest router I've ever set up., October 12, 2010
I have to admit I was nervous about buying something that doesn't have a huge name behind it. I've dealt with plenty of routers in my time and some of them are so confusing to configure, and caused so many headaches. When I opened the box I was greeted by a small, light-weight, sleek looking box...I have to say that I was really excited about the internal antenna, those old parallel antenna were the worst thing to look at. Being the typical computer guy I am I didn't really read through the directions, I just grabbed it and plugged it in. I reset the modem, then reset the router (by power cycling, not the reset button on the back) and.......it worked. I logged into the web interface and set up the Wifi security, grabbed my laptop to connect to it and.....it worked.

The wireless N is a thing of beauty for someone that has been stuck with G for so long, it's fast and has great coverage, I was able to get a stronger signal outside than before.

The web interface is very nicely laid out and there are a ton of features

Pros:
Quick setup
very nice looking
lights are not too bright, even though there are a lot of them
internal antenna
affordable

Cons:
no Gig ports
included cat5 cable could be a little longer.

things to note:
I didn't use the included setup disc
I have cable internet and use an older Linksys cable modem.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY - this router is SLOW and has horrible range, May 6, 2014
extremely slow and disconnects my computer all the time, when im only 10 feet away.

i couldn't even stream netflix without stutters. i switched to a linksys and everything works great.

i will never buy from medialink again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, January 4, 2011
UPDATE (02/09/2014): The router still runs perfectly, but we've added two smart phones, an iPod touch, an iPad, and a Foscam wireless camera into the mix. Despite that, no problems, no dropped signals, etc. Love it.

---------------------

UPDATE (12/11/2011): I've had this for about a year now, and I have still never had a problem with it. I've left it on/plugged almost the entire time, but when I've had to unplug it (e.g., to move a computer desk), it has reconnected almost instantly when I plugged it back in. I also added a second laptop to the house a few months ago, and the router is still performing flawlessly. If Amazon allowed it, I'd give this thing another star.

---------------------

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
I took a chance on this a few months ago, when it was relatively new and had fewer reviews. The company emailed me a few days after ordering to thank me and inform me how I could receive assistance if I needed it.

Well, I haven't needed it. In fact, this router is about as "plug-and-play" as a USB drive or mouse. I didn't even follow the Quick Start instructions...I just plugged it in and it worked right away! I previously had a Linksys B router which would drop the connection about once or twice a night. However, the MediaLink router has worked perfectly for months...I haven't lost the connection once! This router will seriously compete with the big boys, and for the price, it is an incredible value.

Pros:
+ Very, very easy to set up
+ Perfect signal anywhere in my apartment
+ Has worked continuously with NO LOST CONNECTIONS in two months
+ Looks very sleek
+ Fantastic price
+ Friendly customer service, although with how well the router works, I may not ever have to contact them again...

Cons:
- This is a STRETCH, but the blue lights on the router are a bit bright...it may distract you in a dark environment. However, I am never in the same room as the router, so I do not care at all.

Note: I use a Toshiba Windows 7 laptop, which is the only device that utilizes the router. I haven't tested it with multiple machines or with my Wii or anything.

(Also, I've noticed some people responding to other 5 star reviews with accusations that the reviewers work for the makers of the router. Not sure what their agenda is (Linksys employees/fanboys?), but for the record, I do not work for Mediabridge Products, LLC, nor do I know anyone who works for them. I am not receiving any compensation or other such benefits for writing this review, either. I am really impressed with this product, and I rely on reviews before making any online purchase, so I thought I'd contribute.)

1.0 out of 5 stars A Direct Ripoff/Rebrand of a "Tenda" Router, Company Suing People for Negative Reviews, May 7, 2014
Sean (Vermont, USA) - See all my reviews
It has recently come to light that this company pays for their positive reviews of a product that they don't even personally develop. They have rebranded a "Tenda" branded router and are reselling it as their own product.

Here's the router they are ripping off:

microcenter.com/product/381840/W368R_Wireless-N_Broadband_Router

This company will never see another dollar from me, especially because they are threatening to sue people who leave negative reviews.

Rate and Discover Movies