5,681 Reviews
 (3,823)

1,752 of 1,873 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Quite surprised with this one!
Well, now having the need for a wireless N network I did a bit of research into which router I should buy. After reading so many positive reviews, I kept teetering on whether or not I should try this one out... especially since I hadn't heard of the company and the price point was so low. Eventually I figured "what could it hurt" and ordered it. I immediately got an email...
Published on November 1, 2010 by 1.21 Gigawatts

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse than any other brand out there
Overall this wireless router is a pretty good product. Good signal, looks nice, and great size.

The only issue that we consistently have is that it seems to lose signal fairly often. When our power went out and things turned back on, it took the router about 10 minutes to finally connect. The modem was working, which I checked with an ethernet plugged in...
Published on June 8, 2011 by Mackie

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Product, May 6, 2014
This review is from: Medialink Wireless-N Broadband Router with Internal Antenna (150 Mbps) - 2.4GHz - 802.11b/g/n - Compatible with Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows XP / Mac OS X / Linux (Electronics)
This is a terrible product and you can find the same exact router for $20. It's right here. http://www.amazon.com/Tenda-W268R-150Mbps-Wireless-N-Broadband/dp/B004MODQOC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1399436942&sr=1-1&keywords=tenda+router

Wait, but this one is black and has a different brand? Better charge an extra $20!!

A lot of these reviews are fake. Just search Google for this company, Medialink, and you'll find almost no history and no reviews from legitimate websites.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is amazing!, January 13, 2012
Okay. I'm old. I don't understand a lot of gadget stuff. MP3, MP4, widgets...I have no idea what they are and I doubt that the quality of my retirement will be affected by that loss. But I do have a computer at home that the cable guy set up. I can send e-mail, read the news online and have even bought books on Amazon and had them delivered by UPS to my door. It's been a whole new world opened up for me. I'm content with life. Then things got ratched up a level. Santa brought me a Kindle Fire. Looks nice. But I can't do much else than turn it on and off. A wi-fi connection is needed. I mull this over for a few days. How do I get one? Do I call the cable company and pay extra monthly to have them beam a signal toward my house? I don't have a clue. Enter Google. So I learn that I just need a box. It's called a "router" and it plugs into my computer. I consider a trip to Best Buy, but really...my first and last trip there was a torment. Almost seizure inducing. So I do another Amazon search and find it even auto suggested a router for Kindle Fire. I browse the various prices but stick with customer reviews. It's a blind faith thing. And so I opt for this Medialink. 150 Mbps (?). I purchase and Amazon confirms. Then I get another e-mail, this time from Mediabridge Products and it gives me directions to their website and a customer support phone number. Never got that from a seller before. And then it arrives. This old man read the step by step instructions and literally had it set up and running in about ten minutes...well yes, it was quite stressful but only because I had no understanding of what I was doing but I followed the steps and it worked. I have wi-fi and the strength of the signal is good. And the little box? It's. Small and discreet but looks good with little flashing blue lights. I have it on display. It does everything it's supposed to do and it's been problem free. And guess what...I'm writing this review on my Kindle. Thank you Medialink and thank you Santa but please, next year, don't be testing me this much again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Definitely No Good, August 3, 2011
J. Stack (State College, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this product purely to increase my wireless speed. My home network is somewhat advanced with four wireless bridges to serve various connected wired devices throughout my home as well as devices connected directly to the router and another half dozen or so wireless devices. The rave reviews made this seem like a no-brainer.

I ultimately found that not a single one of them could maintain a connection to this router. I spent a good deal of time troubleshooting, upgrading firmware for all associated devices, connecting and disconnecting devices, varying encryption, etc. I found that everything from my iPhone to my netbook and Kindle had trouble. Using Facebook on my iPhone, for example, would disrupt all other devices in the house. All my devices suffered from terrible lag when they could connect which made streaming to my Apple TV2 impossible (either through built-in wireless N or via a bridge).

There is something highly suspicious about the unusually positive reviews for this product. Even if it worked, the product would be mediocre at best. There is nothing that would set this router apart (positively) from any other I've ever used. Menus, setup, etc. are all a little odd compared to other products. Small negatives but not enough that I would ordinarily complain. There are none of the advanced settings (e.g. QoS) that seem to have become fairly standard on other products. Again, nothing I would ordinarily get up in arms about; however, I can find no potential basis for the bizarrely positive reviews.

Stay away from this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, November 3, 2010
I'd previously rated this a 5* - now it's getting 1*....

It's great at first. Set it up - everything worked well. I was able to assign internal IPs based on mac address, set up port forwarding for various computers on the network. It was good value - and worked nicely.

12 months in - it died. No connection. Finally figured out it was the router and popped in an old linksys router that I had - which worked fine.

I ummed and arrd - but figured that I'd got a year out of it, and with the good reviews - maybe I'd just gotten a lemon.

I ordered another.

It arrived this week. Set it up quickly again - everything great.

Today this one is dead too. When I say 'dead' - I mean the important thing - routing the connections. All the lights are going, but that's it. Put back in my old linksys router temporarily - all working again, so it's definitely the medialink router that's the issue.

This one is going back to amazon for a refund and I'm changing to another brand. Clearly a lot of people get lucky with this - but 0 for 2 ? Just be warned. It's not all rainbows and unicorns with this router unfortunately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seconds for setup, milliseconds for downloads, October 6, 2010
I was a little hesitant to order this router since there was no other review, but the price was lower than other wireless G routers, so I thought I would give this N router a try. So far, I am glad I did. I am writing this review from my laptop using the wireless connection right now.

PROS:
-Price (paid $[...] on 10/2/2010)
-Easy setup. The wired connection was instant, all I had to do was plug the cables. The wireless connection was also a breeze and took two minutes with the included CD wizard.
-Speed! My local network connection is 100Mbps, so I selected this router which is slightly faster (150Mbps wireless / 100Mbps wired) in order to avoid bottlenecks. I am getting download speeds ~0.9 MBytes / second wired and ~ 1.1MBbytes / second wireless with this router, i.e. as fast as I was getting when plugged directly to the network.
-Streams movies without problems.

CONS:
No problems so far. If you like solving problems you may be disappointed.

I have had this router for less than a day, which is not long enough to know if it is stable, but so far so good. I have not tried VOIP yet, but I will update if any problems arise.

UPDATE: VOIP works without problems too. I have had the router for 5 days and still no problems. It performs so well, I have almost forgotten it is there.

1.0 out of 5 stars Router is fine -- company seems to have issues, May 7, 2014
I bought this router 3 years ago and really haven't had any issues. I wasn't even too concerned that people have been posting that medialink routers are just rebranded Tenda routers, which by the way can be had for a fraction of the price of the medialink ones. But I was shocked to hear that medialink has taken to drafting cease and desist letters to customers who post negative reviews. I will never buy from medialink again due to this practice.

1.0 out of 5 stars TERRIBLE range!, April 11, 2014
This router works great if you're right on top of it, but if you're more than 30 feet away, forget it. You might as well use soup cans and string. Utterly worthless.

1.0 out of 5 stars Inflated rating, May 7, 2014
I bought this because it had such high reviews on Amazon, which is clearly some kind of mistake, as I should have looked around a bit more on other sites to compare. This router is just decent, but for the price point, not worth it. It doesn't work with Google Chromecast, so I ended up buying a refurbished $20 router of a known brand, and that router works with it, and performs better in just about every way.

1.0 out of 5 stars crap router, May 7, 2014
My first one broke after a few months, and they sent me a replacement after calling customer service more than once. The second one they sent me has also broken, and needs to be constantly reset. They refused to replace this second defective router because it is outside of their one year warranty. Terrible router, go with an established brand, as I will next time.

1.0 out of 5 stars amazingly easy to set up - but never worked correctly, March 1, 2011
NYC Dubious (East Coast of the United States) - See all my reviews
I found this little router exceptionally easy to set up, even with a number of complications on my end - port forwarding, MAC address restrictions, static LAN addresses, etc.

Customer support was also very easy to reach. What a change from LinkSys!

******

Two months on: I ended up abandoning this router because of continual problems with computers and printers being dropped from the wireless network. Customer support sent me two free replacements, trying to help me solve the problem, and I really can't fault their efforts. But the bottom line was than none of the three machines worked correctly. In fact, one of them did not work at all. And as kind as customer support was, in the end they weren't able solve my problems, nor to deal with other issues in the router's firmware, such as the fact that the time zone didn't set correctly.

I suspect the office I spoke to in the US is distributing a foreign-made machine that they are not actually actively developing, themselves.

Rate and Discover Movies