3,671 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Company with a Big Bang for your Buck product
Published on November 11, 2009 by RSV

1.0 out of 5 stars Weak Radio - Unsatisfactory Performance
Published on April 22, 2012 by Don65

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Company with a Big Bang for your Buck product, November 11, 2009
This review is from: Medialink Wireless-N USB Adapter - 802.11n, 2.4 ghz - Compatible with Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows XP (150 Mbps) (Personal Computers)
I own a computer that utilizes Windows Vista (64 bit) and was not having success installing wireless adapters from two reputable companies. At this point I was ready to cut open walls and run the ethernet cable to my computer. I mentioned the problem to my computer geek cousin and he told me to purchase a medialink wireless adapter as it supports Windows Vista 32 and 64. So I googled the wireless adapter and found that Amazon carried it. So I went to Amazon.com and there it was in the medialink adapter's product information, compatible with Vista 32 and 64. At $29.99 ( $10.00 cheaper then the previous two adapters), I thought it was worth the risk. I recieved it two days later and proceeded to install the medialink wireless G USB adapter and again no success. At this point I'm ready to punch a hole in the wall out of frustration. I finally decided to contact Mediabridge to convey my dissatisfaction. The phone was picked up after one ring and a customer service person rerouted me to technical support. Technical support picked up after one ring and I'm thinking to myself, this is amazing, no machine telling me to push buttons. After running several test on my computer with technical support, I still was not wireless. The tech support person, who was professional and knowledgable, recommended trying their wireless-N USB adapter. He said Mediabridge will ship it out right away at no cost. I received the wireless-N adapter the following day (again,amazing). I install it and within five minutes I was wireless. The installation was a snap. I'm on the internet several hours a day and I haven't had any problems at all. I forget sometimes that I'm wireless. At the price Mediabridge is charging for their wireless adapters, this is a steal. Kudos to Mediabridge for backing their products and lowering my blood pressure. I recommend this product to anyone who wants a quality wireless adapter at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars I expected miracles, December 14, 2010
After reading all of the reviews, I expected miracles out of this little device.

After snapping my NetGear USB Wireless-N adapter yesterday, I immediately ran to Amazon to get a replacement for my desktop. This one was well-reviewed and reasonably priced, so I Prime overnighted it.

It got here right away (as usual) in a cool box, with a USB thumb-drive sized wireless device and a docking-station type extension so that you could put the antenna where it made the most sense (probably on your desk, not behind your computer in a USB port). I hooked it up to my Windows 7 box and it was immediately detected and installed. One click onto my network (Linksys dual-band router) and I was online. I was almost disappointed that I didn't get to call their legendary tech support. Once I got online, I went straight to SpeedTest.Net to check my throughput. I was getting 18+MBps, which is about 4x what I was getting with the NetGear. I was so impressed I wrote my first Amazon review. This is the way it SHOULD go.

Miracles delivered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compatible with WD TV Live, December 4, 2009
I purchased this adapter with high hopes that it would somehow magically work with my Western Digital WD TV Live, despite my knowing that it was an unrealistic expectation since the dongle comes with it's own drivers. At best, I was expecting to have to run some home-brewed firmware on the WD TV in order to get this to work.
Lo and behold, I plugged it in and it was recognized within seconds. In under a minute, the box was connected to my network and I was streaming YouTube video to my upstairs bedroom. I was absolutely amazed.

This dongle is not yet listed on WD TV Live's supported device list, and I've found no previous posts or reviews confirming this compatibility. Hope this helps those looking at this for the same reason that I was.

4.0 out of 5 stars A rare find - a multi-OS Wireless N adapter!, October 25, 2009
I recently added Mac OS X to my Windows Dell Mini 9. I had replaced the WiFi card in the Mini with an Intel 5300 which is great, but there's no Mac OS support. So I was on the lookout for an inexpensive USB adapter that supported OS X and Windows - if it was wireless N also, that would be a bonus. A couple of weeks ago when I started this search, I came up empty, but this time I found the Medialink adapter, which claimed to support Windows, OS X and Linux. I decided to give it a try.

When I received it I was upset to see that the packaging claimed support for Windows only, and the Medialink web site has only Windows drivers. But the instruction leaflet says that OS X and Linux drivers are on the CD and sure enough, they are.

Medialink claims that this is one of the smallest Wireless N USB adapters and I believe them - it's half the size of an Actiontec adapter I recently reviewed.

I first tried it under Windows 7. The driver installed nicely and the adapter worked, though I found the configuration utility confusing and could not figure out how to use WiFi Protected Setup (WPS). I did manage to create a profile typing the WPA2 key by hand and that worked. The signal strength was somewhat lower than the Intel card (with its three antennae in the netbook lid), which was understandable. Speed was excellent, though. Note that this is a 2.4GHz only adapter - 5GHz is not supported.

I then tried OS X. The CD contains drivers for several earlier versions of OS X, but not 10.6 (Snow Leopard). I tried the 10.5 driver and the installation appeared to hang after a while. However, when I rebooted and inserted the adapter, everything seemed to work. This time I managed to figure out how to use WPS and it connected with my router without problems. Unlike with an AirPort or some Apple-supported device, there's no indication in the menu bar that there's a connection, but the "Ralink Wireless USB" utility that launches when the adapter is connected confirmed it was there.

Medialink also includes a rather large desktop base with a hefty USB cable attached, should you want to use it. I tried it and it did work.

Pros: Support of Windows, OS X and Linux (I suppose - I didn't try Linux), compact size, good performance
Cons: Confusing configuration utility

Edit: December 29, 2010

I noticed that the Amazon description no longer mentions Linux and Mac support, so I called Medialink to ask what's up. I was told that they found the market for the adapter on Linux/Mac OS smaller than they thought and they didn't have expertise in those operating systems, so they no longer advertise Mac and Linux support. However, drivers for those ARE still on the CD and if they get any newer driers from Ralink (the chipset vendor), they'll pass them on (on the web site, I assume.) I still recommend this adapter for Mac OS users, but be prepared to be "on your own" if you're using Mac OS or Linux. (And sorry, I can't provide support either!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does its job just fine., December 7, 2011
Harl Van Deursen "zippernut" (Kansas City, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This adapter works like a charm once it's installed, both on Windows 7 and on Windows XP. (I haven't tried it with any other operating systems.) I have used three of these on four different computers, and it has worked well in every case.

The rest of this review deals with only one quirk: if you like to control your own destiny and you use Windows XP, you may want to use Windows Wireless Zero (the built-in wireless management in Windows XP) rather than the provided wireless management client, but the driver and software will not allow you to do so if you do not have that service running when the driver is installed. It doesn't matter if you want to use the provided wireless manager, but I was disappointed with the fact that the client software (on Windows XP, at least) AUTOMATICALLY connects to an available unencrypted network immediately after installation, which is dangerous, since that network may not be yours and may not be safe. Worse yet, it does not allow you to specifically disable said wireless network.

In order to have full control over the networks you connect to (again, in Windows XP at least), you should check that the Wireless Zero Configuration service is running BEFORE you install the software. If you install without the Wireless Zero Configuration service running, you'll have to completely uninstall, enable the service, then reinstall in order to be able to use Wireless Zero.

If you have no idea what I'm taking about but you want some rough guidance, try this on for size: Go to your Windows control panel, open Administrative Tools, open Services, and scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration. If the status is Started and the startup type is Automatic, you're all set. If not, double-click the icon, change the startup type to Automatic, and click the Start button, then click OK to save your changes. THEN you can install the driver, after which you will be able to use the built-in Windows wireless management to specify which networks you do or do not want to connect to.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to get more than 65 Mbps, August 27, 2010
D. Lee (Santa Clara, CA) - See all my reviews
I bought this product for a Windows XP box about 1 month ago. Installation was very easy.
Initially all I was getting was only getting 65 Mbps despite a strong signal. I contacted support and the first reply wasn't too helpful but then another support agent send me this:

Some 802.11n routers give you the option to adjust the bandwidth of the 2.4Ghz channel
you are broadcasting. Make sure your width is set to 40MHz or "Auto". If it is set to 20MHz it will limit your speed to 65Mbps.
If you are only connecting to your router using 802.11n devices, be sure to set your router to "N only" so you are not compromising your speed for 802.11b or 802.11g devices.

Turns out my Dlink Dir-655 was set to the 20MHz. After switching "Transmission Rate" to "Auto 20/40 MHz" I can consistently get link speeds of 135 Mbps and often 150 Mbps.
My router is about 35 feet away going through 1 wall.

Apparently the medialink website will be updated with a better support page. This information was not easily available in early August.

Other notes... Not sure what happened but my wireless adapter was not working.
Typing 'ipconfig' on my computer printed nothing. After re-installing the drivers the system was back to normal. I am not sure what cuased the drivers to get messed up...

I found out the usb adapter doesn't turn on until you logon to the system directly. A minor annoyance if I want to remote desktop to that box after powering it on. I don't think a PCI adapter will have this issue.

Overall, a great product for the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Weak Radio - Unsatisfactory Performance, April 22, 2012
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with b/g WiFi built-in. The computer has a marginal WiFi signal where it sits in our house. Verizon upgraded my FIOS with a new wireless router which had an "n" WiFi capability so I bought this Medialink - Wireless N USB adapter to take advantage of the N signal from the new router. Unfortunately, the Medialink adapter gave even worse WiFi connectivity. It was consistently two bars less than the built-in b/g radio. I used the provided USB extension and experimented with many positions for the adapter and never was able to get a usable signal. It worked fine if I placed the computer in the same room as the router but the signal quickly faded as I moved away. I checked and it had the most recent driver installed. It was unsatisfactory for my purposes and I have returned it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought two; neither worked as advertised, May 6, 2014
sharpie (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
I purchased two of these and both were absolute garbage. Couldn't pick up a steady signal from a router that was 15 ft away. I ended up trashing them because it wasn't worth the hassle of returning.

5.0 out of 5 stars works under ubuntu after A LOT of black magic, October 4, 2010
VG aka "Val" (Mountain View, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is specifically for those who consider getting it for a linux box. Yes it works. No it's NOT EASY to install it on Ubuntu 10.4 . There are countless blogposts and threads about enabling this chipset on linux. I spent about 5 hours trying and following different instructions. I tried most of them to no avail. Most of them work if you only connect to unsecured wireless. Connecting to password-protected one still doesn't. What finally worked was this:

==============================================================

There is a backports package called linux-backports-modules-wireless-lucid-generic and the rt2870sta driver in it will connect to wpa2-psk encrypted networks. So you can install that backport package to get a fix. I still think it's necessary to manually add the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf change to blacklist rt2800usb as well as create the /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/RT2870STA.dat file with the word Default in it.

On my system this works.

By the way, that backports package also contains an update rt2800usb module. I tried using it and it still will not connect to my wpa2-psk network.

However, this package should get updated as new changes are made to the wireless stack, so using it will give us a shot.

==============================================================

I hope this saves some time to some (un)lucky ubuntu user.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy installation and instant connection; you get what you pay for., July 9, 2010
After replacing a desktop computer of 7 years, I was wary of buying wireless gear for my new one. It had Windows 7, and all the compatibility issues that come with a fairly new OS made me indecisive. I spent a long time poring over the different types, like G or N-connection adapters, and brands, such as Linksys, which can be expensive. I decided to get a cheaper adapter in light of all this, so in the worst case scenario of malfunctions or compatibility issues, I'd be able to buy another one without burning a hole into my wallet.

Setting up my Medialink was extremely easy. If possible, I would advise skipping the installation CD altogether and letting your computer automatically install the device. In that way, you won't have to deal with Medialink's interface or any bloatware that may come with it. That's what my desktop did and I've had no connection issues thus far. My only qualm is that download speeds seem a bit low, but they have been picking up after I removed the USB stick from the port and connected it via the docking station instead. This is probably because I moved it to an area with better reception. My router has a G-type connection, and this adapter has N-type capabilities, so keep in mind that G and N are compatible with each other. The only difference is if I had an N-type router, I'd have a faster connection speed.

As for the appearance, the USB adapter itself doesn't look too bad; it has mat edges and piano black faces, and looks simple but clean. The docking station is nothing fancy or fashionable, though I think the real issue here is whether or not the device works as opposed to how it looks. Medialink's adapter does the job surprisingly well for such a low price, and is a worthy competitor alongside other wireless-N devices.

Rate and Discover Movies