5,992

1,797 of 1,925 people found the following review helpful
on November 1, 2010
Well, now having the need for a wireless N network I did a bit of research into which router I should buy. After reading so many positive reviews, I kept teetering on whether or not I should try this one out... especially since I hadn't heard of the company and the price point was so low. Eventually I figured "what could it hurt" and ordered it. I immediately got an email from the company thanking me for the order which included the support information if needed. That was a nice touch.

The bottom line is that I'm VERY glad I ordered this. Set up was a breeze if you follow the very simple instructions to the letter. I was up and running in minutes.

My other concern was how well it would sing with my Cisco Wireless N Bridge(The Cisco-Linksys WET610N Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming and Video Adapter)in my living room which is notoriously finicky with non-Cisco product integration. I'm very pleased to report that it immediately started communicating once set up, and has been rock solid for 3 days streaming Hi Def 720p and 1080p video. The signal strength is fantastic and has out performed other routers I have owned in the past. Time will tell how it holds up over the long run. I will update this post if anything goes awry.

Finally as icing on the cake, the router just looks cool. Thats always a happy bonus!

The only negative I could find is that the tech support line isn't 24 hours. Seeing as how I didn't need it, I suppose that really isn't a negative in the truest sense.

I'm a heavy Amazon user who doesn't even write reviews yet felt compelled to for this gem. A Great product, at a great price, and easy set up. Who could ask for more?

*** EDIT 06/14/11 Wow, there are a ton of comments on my review and I thought it would be a good idea to chime in again. Here we are about 8 months after my purchase and the router is still going strong. I have noticed that there was some signal degradation about 3 months in, but I changed the broadcast channel and it cleared up. Whether that was a fix or coincidence I don't know. As far as I can remember it only dropped once and I had to reset it. Not sure what people are expecting, but I thought (and still think) I got fantastic bang for the buck. And to answer some of the people implying I somehow work for the company that makes or markets it: I absolutely do not! I just was pleasantly surprised and wanted to share.

*** EDIT 09/11/12 I've come to bury Caesar, not to praise him. Well, that's not entirely accurate. Bottom line is my router finally died on me. Not so much "died" as sputtered out a slow pulsating death. My earlier review still stands though, this had fantastic bang for the buck while it lasted and handled download speeds to my wireless laptop as fast as my ethernet wired server. Anyway, I noticed it was bouncing a day ago and called their VERY friendly tech support. They mentioned a new firmware update and gave me some instructions on updating and hard resetting which ended up having no effect on the situation. Obviously, since it was out of warranty there wasn't much else they could do, so I sent them a video of it doing "it's thing" in case they ran across any similar scenarios in the future. I suppose its time to look at a new router. Might still go with this one though. I'll update if I do! :)

*** EDIT 11/20/12 "Just when I thought I was done, you pull me back in!" Have a very relevant followup... It appears that there was indeed a power surge on the circuit that most likely killed the router. After writing my update, I noticed that my Roku player as well as another device I hadn't thought of checking was dead as a doornail. I thought I should update since some were thinking this was a fault of the device. Turns out it wasn't. Makes me feel even better about ordering the replacement. :) All's well that ends well.
131131 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 8, 2011
Overall this wireless router is a pretty good product. Good signal, looks nice, and great size.

The only issue that we consistently have is that it seems to lose signal fairly often. When our power went out and things turned back on, it took the router about 10 minutes to finally connect. The modem was working, which I checked with an ethernet plugged in directly, but the router just wouldn't connect. While some people may think that it isn't a big deal but the frustrating part is how consistent it has become.

I will say that when the router is not losing signal, it works great!

Update 7/4/11:

This router continues to drop signal worse than ever. Also, today it will only connect when an ethernet cable is plugged in, will not connect wirelessly.

Wish I could return it for something else. I had a cheapo Dynex wireless router before this one and it worked 10X better.

Definitely would not recommend to anyone.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 3, 2014
This is the worst router I have ever purchased. I was so deceived by the number of 5 star reviews.
Security:
This router displays your login password in CLEAR TEXT! I wrote customer service about this as it should just be a firmware upgrade to fix this and they told me to buy a different model! What kind of answer is that??

Quality:
The administration page looks like it was made by an amateur. As mentioned, password is in clear text, the password is limited in length. You cannot configure it to bring you to advanced settings upon login either.

The router worked for for almost a year (July 2013 to May 2014). It just died today. Good riddance! I would never purchase a Medialink product again.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 2, 2012
As a WiFi performance junkie, I ordered one these when I saw the great reviews. I was surprised that it broadcasts its manufacturer's name as "Tenda" when viewed with a wireless detection utility like inSSIDer-V2. (Google search "inssider" to download this free utility)

The Medialink also seems to have the the same Tenda W268R case except with a new color.

Before testing the Medialink unit, I updated the firmware to the latest version.

Weaker Signal Than Most:
I had already tried the Tenda W268R and then donated it to my church's garage sale because its range was not quite comparable to other popular routers. The measured performance of this Medialink unit is identical to the Tenda W268R.

Problem with iPad & Android Phone
With a few days of use I have had frequent issues with a Samsung-Android Phone and an iPad-2 being able to connect to any web site including Google search. Other internet protocols would work, like Active Sync for Exchange-Server email, but no web sites. This issue would appear on both mobile devices at the same time, but Windows 7 computers could continue to access web sites. I can't figure this out but it happens off and on every day. I believe the Samsung phones and iPads share some networking components . . maybe thats why they have a problem and the PC doesn't. If I connect the mobile devices to a Buffalo brand access point on the same network, there is never a problem.

Differences from the Tenda W268R

1. Taking a page out of Apple's playbook, Medialink has beautiful packaging and apparently great customer service. And like Apple it charges more than twice the $15.00 typical price of the equivelent physcial product with the Tenda label.

2. The dark colored plastic case look much nicer than the white Tendra version.

3. MediaLink has improved the firmware, but the web interface it is still visually primitive. There is 1 non-sensical phrase in the latest firmware web interface that looks like a Chinese to English translation glitch.

Similarities to the Tenda W268R
1. Everything Else

One suggestion: Wireless routers are often used as Wireless Access Points as familys add extra WiFi access points in their homes so their X-Boxes and Media Players are in reach of WiFi. It would be nice if it had the option to "Disable" the WAN interface that is not functional when the unit is used as a Wireless Access point. Most wireless routers have this option. It may serve no material purpose, but it provides the satisfaction of configuring the unit for its specific role on your network.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 18, 2011
I bought this wireless router to replace a Linksys wireless-N router that died after 3 years of use, which worked perfectly fine until its demise. I chose this router due to its price and the number of 5-star reviews. What I should have paid more attention to were the critical reviews.

I had no problems setting up and connecting to the router, as I followed the instructions to the letter. I was able to wirelessly connect my laptop, iPhone and iTouch with no problems. Also, the signal strength was similar to the previous router I owned, so there are no issues there.

The problem with this router is that it doesn't provide a stable connection which causes it to lag frequently. I play online games that require a stable connection because of the continuous communication and constant interaction. While playing an online game, I will experience very frequent lags which typically last for up to 5 seconds before resuming connectivity. As a gamer, this is unacceptable and makes the game virtually unplayable.

Did I get a bad apple? I am not going to find out...this router is being returned for a refund. I have never returned anything I have ordered online before (I do most of my shopping online now) and have never felt compelled to write a review (first time for both). Congratulations MediaLink!
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 3, 2010
I'd previously rated this a 5* - now it's getting 1*....

It's great at first. Set it up - everything worked well. I was able to assign internal IPs based on mac address, set up port forwarding for various computers on the network. It was good value - and worked nicely.

12 months in - it died. No connection. Finally figured out it was the router and popped in an old linksys router that I had - which worked fine.

I ummed and arrd - but figured that I'd got a year out of it, and with the good reviews - maybe I'd just gotten a lemon.

I ordered another.

It arrived this week. Set it up quickly again - everything great.

Today this one is dead too. When I say 'dead' - I mean the important thing - routing the connections. All the lights are going, but that's it. Put back in my old linksys router temporarily - all working again, so it's definitely the medialink router that's the issue.

This one is going back to amazon for a refund and I'm changing to another brand. Clearly a lot of people get lucky with this - but 0 for 2 ? Just be warned. It's not all rainbows and unicorns with this router unfortunately.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 24, 2011
At first I was impressed with this wireless router but I soon changed my mind. First concern, the router internal date was not settable. No matter which time zone you selected, it always defaulted back to "Arizona". I'm guessing a firmware issue. Not a show stopper though. What WAS a show stopper was that somehow and at some unknown time, the router reset back to it's defaults. All my security settings were gone. I have no idea how long this was occurring. The SSID was reset. The MAC address filtering was reset and gone. The WPA-TKIP encryption was gone. The router became an open access point to anybody and everybody in the area. This is not acceptable for ANY wireless router at ANY time. Although the price point for this device is attractive, I would strongly avoid this unit until it matures to the point it can reliably hold onto it's security settings.
9999 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 7, 2014
This is a terrible product and you can find the same exact router for $20. It's right here. http://www.amazon.com/Tenda-W268R-150Mbps-Wireless-N-Broadband/dp/B004MODQOC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1399436942&sr=1-1&keywords=tenda+router

Wait, but this one is black and has a different brand? Better charge an extra $20!!

A lot of these reviews are fake. Just search Google for this company, Medialink, and you'll find almost no history and no reviews from legitimate websites.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 4, 2011
I bought this product purely to increase my wireless speed. My home network is somewhat advanced with four wireless bridges to serve various connected wired devices throughout my home as well as devices connected directly to the router and another half dozen or so wireless devices. The rave reviews made this seem like a no-brainer.

I ultimately found that not a single one of them could maintain a connection to this router. I spent a good deal of time troubleshooting, upgrading firmware for all associated devices, connecting and disconnecting devices, varying encryption, etc. I found that everything from my iPhone to my netbook and Kindle had trouble. Using Facebook on my iPhone, for example, would disrupt all other devices in the house. All my devices suffered from terrible lag when they could connect which made streaming to my Apple TV2 impossible (either through built-in wireless N or via a bridge).

There is something highly suspicious about the unusually positive reviews for this product. Even if it worked, the product would be mediocre at best. There is nothing that would set this router apart (positively) from any other I've ever used. Menus, setup, etc. are all a little odd compared to other products. Small negatives but not enough that I would ordinarily complain. There are none of the advanced settings (e.g. QoS) that seem to have become fairly standard on other products. Again, nothing I would ordinarily get up in arms about; however, I can find no potential basis for the bizarrely positive reviews.

Stay away from this product.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 12, 2010
I have to admit I was nervous about buying something that doesn't have a huge name behind it. I've dealt with plenty of routers in my time and some of them are so confusing to configure, and caused so many headaches. When I opened the box I was greeted by a small, light-weight, sleek looking box...I have to say that I was really excited about the internal antenna, those old parallel antenna were the worst thing to look at. Being the typical computer guy I am I didn't really read through the directions, I just grabbed it and plugged it in. I reset the modem, then reset the router (by power cycling, not the reset button on the back) and.......it worked. I logged into the web interface and set up the Wifi security, grabbed my laptop to connect to it and.....it worked.

The wireless N is a thing of beauty for someone that has been stuck with G for so long, it's fast and has great coverage, I was able to get a stronger signal outside than before.

The web interface is very nicely laid out and there are a ton of features

Pros:
Quick setup
very nice looking
lights are not too bright, even though there are a lot of them
internal antenna
affordable

Cons:
no Gig ports
included cat5 cable could be a little longer.

things to note:
I didn't use the included setup disc
I have cable internet and use an older Linksys cable modem.
2323 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations