Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 1, 2010
Well, now having the need for a wireless N network I did a bit of research into which router I should buy. After reading so many positive reviews, I kept teetering on whether or not I should try this one out... especially since I hadn't heard of the company and the price point was so low. Eventually I figured "what could it hurt" and ordered it. I immediately got an email from the company thanking me for the order which included the support information if needed. That was a nice touch.

The bottom line is that I'm VERY glad I ordered this. Set up was a breeze if you follow the very simple instructions to the letter. I was up and running in minutes.

My other concern was how well it would sing with my Cisco Wireless N Bridge(The Cisco-Linksys WET610N Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming and Video Adapter)in my living room which is notoriously finicky with non-Cisco product integration. I'm very pleased to report that it immediately started communicating once set up, and has been rock solid for 3 days streaming Hi Def 720p and 1080p video. The signal strength is fantastic and has out performed other routers I have owned in the past. Time will tell how it holds up over the long run. I will update this post if anything goes awry.

Finally as icing on the cake, the router just looks cool. Thats always a happy bonus!

The only negative I could find is that the tech support line isn't 24 hours. Seeing as how I didn't need it, I suppose that really isn't a negative in the truest sense.

I'm a heavy Amazon user who doesn't even write reviews yet felt compelled to for this gem. A Great product, at a great price, and easy set up. Who could ask for more?

*** EDIT 06/14/11 Wow, there are a ton of comments on my review and I thought it would be a good idea to chime in again. Here we are about 8 months after my purchase and the router is still going strong. I have noticed that there was some signal degradation about 3 months in, but I changed the broadcast channel and it cleared up. Whether that was a fix or coincidence I don't know. As far as I can remember it only dropped once and I had to reset it. Not sure what people are expecting, but I thought (and still think) I got fantastic bang for the buck. And to answer some of the people implying I somehow work for the company that makes or markets it: I absolutely do not! I just was pleasantly surprised and wanted to share.

*** EDIT 09/11/12 I've come to bury Caesar, not to praise him. Well, that's not entirely accurate. Bottom line is my router finally died on me. Not so much "died" as sputtered out a slow pulsating death. My earlier review still stands though, this had fantastic bang for the buck while it lasted and handled download speeds to my wireless laptop as fast as my ethernet wired server. Anyway, I noticed it was bouncing a day ago and called their VERY friendly tech support. They mentioned a new firmware update and gave me some instructions on updating and hard resetting which ended up having no effect on the situation. Obviously, since it was out of warranty there wasn't much else they could do, so I sent them a video of it doing "it's thing" in case they ran across any similar scenarios in the future. I suppose its time to look at a new router. Might still go with this one though. I'll update if I do! :)

*** EDIT 11/20/12 "Just when I thought I was done, you pull me back in!" Have a very relevant followup... It appears that there was indeed a power surge on the circuit that most likely killed the router. After writing my update, I noticed that my Roku player as well as another device I hadn't thought of checking was dead as a doornail. I thought I should update since some were thinking this was a fault of the device. Turns out it wasn't. Makes me feel even better about ordering the replacement. :) All's well that ends well.
131131 comments| 1,834 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2012
This is my first wireless router ever, and I am very happy with it after a month of use.One thing that I have discovered is that the User Manual, Quick Installation Guide, and Installation Software are OUT OF DATE when it comes to the security settings that they recommend for this router.They recommend WPA-Personal for your security setting.But WPA2 is the NEWER and MORE SECURE method for wireless routers.

When you are on the Medialink's router settings screen, click on WLAN settings, then scroll down and click on 'Security Settings'. CHANGE your security mode to
'WPA2-Personal' On the same screen, ALSO CHANGE the WPA Algorithms to 'AES'.

I don't know if it is just a coincidence, but after changing my router and the computer I wirelessly hooked it to from WPA to WPA2 AND the Algorithms to AES, the speed of my wireless network immediately increased from 54 Mbps to 150 Mbps!!

So, by switching to WPA2-Personal, you will not only have a MORE SECURE wireless network, but maybe a FASTER one as well!! Medialink should update their manuals and software to recommend WPA2 for their routers....
on June 18, 2011
My first Medialink Wireless N router did not work properly. I had just switched to Fiber Optics at 30 mbps, and I was getting that directly out of the outlet, but through the router, it was coming in at 1 mbps or less (even worse than my DSL service!). I was having major buyer's regret ... which I didn't expect, because this item had so many 5 star reviews on Amazon! Then, for no apparent reason, it worked for a couple days ... but after that, it choked the bandwidth again. After some time troubleshooting with Mediabridge, it was determined that the unit was likely defective. I received a new one and shipped back the old one. The new one works fine out of the box. The directions, which I had scoured six ways to Saturday on the first one, worked the first time on the second router.

The blue lights are a little bright, and they point right at you, but I can live with it (or get out some electrical tape!). Range seems OK but video download speed seemed to drop off precipitously with distance inside my house ... even more than my old b/g router. However, that could be from the wireless N usb adapter I had to use to connect my laptop at all (the laptop's internal Atheros card worked with the old b/g router but not this Medialink one).

One benefit that cannot be underestimated is that, as many have noted here, is that the tech support (Jarrod Coburn and others at MediaBridge products) is excellent. They appear to be U.S. based, with no language difficulty, no scripting, friendly, helpful, competent, and they actually call you back. I have to say, I haven't had that level of tech support/customer service for an electronic item since the late 1980s when I bought my first Dell computer. It was quite a throwback. Perhaps the future augurs well for MediaBridge.

I want to give it 4 stars, but I had more than one problem, so a 3 seems more appropriate. It wasn't just that my first one was defective, my laptop would not connect with it at all, requiring me to buy a wireless N USB network adapter to get it back to its prior functionality. Even then it is sometimes slower than before. Trying to put forth a nuanced review. I'd say the entire experience has been a 3, with the best parts being 5-star tech support/customer service, 5-star ease of setup (only counting second router - first one was a fail) + quick delivery.

I would buy another if I had to do it over again. I think I was merely unlucky, and even then, the company made things right, without a fight. That's too rare these days.
on January 25, 2013
I have Verizon Fios. Recently I upgraded, not just to higher speed, but to their new Quantum BS. I saw no improvement what so ever! In my home we have a 1 pc, 1 lap top, 1 Xbox and 1 iPhone connected. Quiet frequently I have a pretty bad lag when when streaming movies and playing games on Xbox live. Even on the PC, which is connected directly to the Fios modem. Via speedtest . net I learned the average speed on the PC was 15 download and 8 upload. For my laptop it was 14 download and 6 upload. Wiggity wack.

I just received my Medialink router this afternoon and installed it just a bit ago. The instructions were simple, the process took me about 7 minutes. I noticed a few other Fios user's review and they had to contact Media Link for assistance. That was not needed for me. The router came with two sets of instructions, one for DSL users, and one for "ALL USERS, EXPECT USERS WITH A DSL MODEM&" I used the instructions for all users since Fios is not DSL. Easy peasy baby.

FUDGE CAKES! I just tested my speeds again. Average on my pc is now..... 77 DOWNLOAD! 30 ON UPLOAD <<--Impressive. On the laptop my average speed is 30 download and 27 upload. I'm a happy customer.

Gracias Medialink!
on April 14, 2015
I bought 2 of these from Amazon when they were full price, before the comment-kazi storm.

In terms of real world performance, from a verified purchaser, my experience has been good with these routers on a single network, using the 2nd router in range extender / wireless access point mode. Setup was easy per the Medialink user manual.

My house is an L shaped brick rambler over full basement with open rafters, so I was able to install one router in each end of the house, each sitting on top of a beam, such that they were under the hardwood flooring of the main floor. I had tried to make one router work at first by placing it centrally, but brick homes, with old plaster and wire walls with a behemoth of a sandstone fireplace isn't conducive to wireless, hence the need for a 2nd router.

Connected to the main router was the cable modem, cable to the 2nd router, a Cisco VOIP device, a NAS drive, and an 8 port switch to which was connected a Windows7 PC (running 24x7) and pair of Silicondust HD Homerun digital tuners that powered my Snapstream BeyondTV PVR setup. The 2nd router connected a pair of old non-wireless printers stuffed in the coat closet.

The network served 4 Windows 7 wireless desktops, 4 Kindles, 3 Roku devices, 2 laptops, a netbook, and guests, without issue of any kind. I routinely backed up all the PCs with Macrium Reflect Free to a notebook USB drive and then transferred the file to the NAS server, accessed internet from every capable device, watched live TV with the Silicondust software from EVERY PC and streamed recorded TV from the NAS server with VLC player and the Mega CODEC pack. I used Newsbin6 to access and download programs from Usenet binary archives, which were reassembled from PAR files over the network to the NAS server, flawlessly.

In the 2 years (give or take) that I used this setup, I had to reboot the routers just 3 or 4 times. I upgraded the firmware twice as best I can recall.

These routers, at the current pricing level, are an excellent bargain for a wireless N router. In a brick home like mine (described above), I'd put the range at about 35' radius.

Regarding the negative reviews, well, most were part of the comment-kazi storm and had more to do with an internet 'social media' attack campaign than it had to do with the quality and operation / functionality of the product.

Yeah, I paid a premium price for these, but then, I've gotten excellent service from them and that, as far as I am concerned, is the real value. Putting that in perspective, these 2 routers replaced a dying and trouble prone Linksys G and an Asus N router that locks up when I access the admin pages. It got old, fast with those 2 routers - having to do a pushbutton/factory reset and reconfigure them from the ground up every time they decided to lock up. That you'll just have to take my word on, I guess, since they were purchased elsewhere.
on December 26, 2011
Update 3/29/2012: Just a quick update on this router. As of this updated posting, our Medialink router has been up for 110 days with ZERO problems. Each day continues to reenforce our confidence in this router. We finally feel like we purchased a router we can have confidence in, and that we'll be able to use for (hopefully) years to come.

We have had this router for a few weeks now. I installed it on 12/9/2011. As of this posting, according to the 'System Time' under the System Status page of the router, it has been up for 16 days and 22+ hours. The router has been stable this entire time.

Our Internet use is very high in our household. Both my wife and I are avid PC gamers, and play online games several hours during the week. It is crucial that our Internet be stable, and uninterrupted for smooth gameplay, raiding, and voice communication (Vent and Mumble). We also stream a lot of movies to our TV, stream music, and telecommute for work. We use Comcast Business Class for our Internet.

Setup was easy for me, but I am a very technical person. However, I see no reason less technical people could not set this up just as easily. The only confusing part is the blue flashing status light on top of the router. I really am not sure what the indicator means, other than the router is on, although there is a power led for that as well. The light flashes steadily, and the instructions do not indicate what the pattern means, only that it reflects the router's status. I would assume different flashing sequences would indicate a different status for the router, but again there is nothing defining the status light patterns.

I have used several name brands over the years, including Linksys, Netgear, Cisco, and DLink. I had never heard of MediaLink until our last issue with our Cisco E3000. We paid $180 for the E3000, and thought the name brand and price would mean we'd finally stop going through routers every couple years. We had to RMA our 11 month old unit twice, and although Cisco/Linksys did end up replacing our E3000 twice, the replacement experience with their Customer Service was less than desirable. Language barriers and ridiculously long hold times made the experience very unpleasant. Each RMA to Cisco/Linksys required over 90 minutes on the phone, and a tremendous amount of communication frustration.

I vowed to not buy another Cisco or Linksys, and was on Amazon.com researching new routers. In my experience, there has never been a router that received more than a 3/5 star rating anywhere from CNET, Amazon, or other review sites. This time around my search on Amazon by user rating brought up this MediaLink router. I was quite surprised to see the high user rating, and the overall vendor rating on Amazon. Like many, I was skeptical at such a large number of high ratings, but for $50 I felt the risk was worth it. We'd wasted so much money on other routers over the years, what was another $50? At the least I could have it as a backup unit.

It ends up, between the router being made in the USA, and the friendly email we received from MediaLink upon purchase, our experience has been like no other when it comes to Internet routers. We love the router, and have had no trouble so far with it. We really liked the welcoming email from MediaLink with easy instructions on where to find router instructions and firmware updates from their website.

Why can't other companies make this effort? A little quality control and customer service goes a long way. I hope we never have to buy another router for a long time now that we have this MediaLink, but if we do, we'll ONLY buy MediaLink based on our current experience.

I hope this review helps others who have experienced poor quality products and customer service over the years with other routers.
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 26, 2011
On a scale of 1-10, my technical expertise is a three or maybe a very generous four. Despite the inherent handicap, I decided to try setting up this router on my own. Having reliable backup ready to lend a hand, I found the resolve to tackle the new router hook up. My old router was very old and twice as large as this new Medialink router, a very small device that'll fit most anywhere.

On the day the new router was delivered, I also got a friendly email from the Medialink company with a phone number and an offer of assistance. I removed the old router and used the same wires already there to connect to the computer, the modem, and my printer. The only snag in the installation was step nine, where one is directed to type in a temporary username and password. I misread the instruction but finally figured it out.

Now I have a secure network, configured by myself that serves the desktop, two laptops , and a printer. The signal is strong and reaches further than that of the old router. If you can read a set of directions, you can set up this router. I'm very happy with this sleek device and have no regrets about its purchase.
on December 30, 2011
I ended up calling Medialink for the Verizon FiOS Router (believe the M1424 is FiOS' standard configuration - Link below) but none of the Medialink documentation covers this setup. It did take a few hours on the phone with a very patient and intelligent technician to try many configurations until we finial found the following 3 easy steps.

SETUP:
1) The only way you can connect the Medialink and the Verizon Router are:
a. Connect the Verizon LAN Jack (yellow) to the Medialink LAN Jack (yellow).
2) Disenable the "DHCP Server" on the Medialink Router.
a. Login to the Medialink Router > under the "DHCP Server" left menu > un-check the "DHCP Server Enable " box
3) Change the IP address on the Medialink Router to "+1" from the Verizon Router
a. Login to the Medialink Router > under the "Advanced Settings" left menu > type in the new number in the "IP Address" box
b. Example if Verizon Router IP is "192.168.1.1" then use "192.168.1.2"

NOTE: You should also change your network name and password per their instructions, but "**NO**" changes are required in the Verizon Router.

RESULTS:
A) I now have two wireless networks. Is this going to cause any issues (speed)?
B) Results from Verizon's "Broadband Speed Test" ran 5 times on each router:
a. Verizon: Down 8Mbps & Up 4Mbps
b. Medialink Down 25Mbps & Up 4Mbps
C) I recommend that Medialink includes instructions for the Verizon Router on their website.
D) I hope my challenges result in an improved experience for the next user, for I still would highly recommend this Medialink router.

My Verizon Router:
[...]
on October 26, 2010
Just as other posters have stated, the product is simple and easy to use.

Initially, I did have reservations about purchasing a product from an unfamiliar brand with so few product reviews.

After considering the product reviews and the amazing price, I decided to make the purchase.

I own an ultra portable laptop without an optical drive so I needed to set the router up without the installation CD (basic networking experience recommended).

I did not have much trouble configuring a secure wireless network without the installation CD, but I am sure the installation CD provides a much more user friendly experience for beginners.

Connection seems faster and more responsive than the expensive Belkin wireless N router I previously owned.

The product does what it is intended to do very well without all of the extra and often unnecessary bells and whistles offered with most overpriced routers available.

Overall, a great product with an amazing price.
on April 24, 2013
WOW Media Link, you have really impressed me, for your customer service is amazing and I love how you go out of your way, to comment on people's reviews and provide assistance if needed. I only wish that there were more companies like you out there, who care about their customer base. I have been on the internet since the dial up days, those were the days when your modem had to call a number on your phone line, which made odd noises and once connected, internet pages took forever to load. I got on the broadband wagon towards the beginning of its creation and was impressed how fast it was.

However, once I started getting more computers setup, I learned that in order to create a network and serve internet to all of them, I would need a router. So I bought a wired ethernet router and ran cat 5 cables. Oh how fancy I thought I was, I created a network like my computer at work and I wasn't even in IT! (Those who have watched IT Crowed, IT stands for, Information Technology.) The wired router has provided years of excellent service and is still going strong. So what made me want to go wireless?

I bought two brand new computers recently, both laptops, and both have built in wireless adaptors. So right away I began thinking about setting up a wireless network to connect them to my internet at home. However, that was not enough to make me jump ship from my wired router. I am running a ethernet cable to my garage nearby, and it had lasted for many years. The cable however, I found dead recently, either due to freezing temperature damage, or mice ate the cable from under the house, I don't know. I thought to myself, I don't want to go under there and run another 100 foot cable lol.

EXPERIENCE: I ordered the router from Amazon using free shipping, and it arrived at my door in 1 week. I opened the box to find very little packing material to protect the router, this seems to be a problem with a lot of things you buy online, so nothing new. They provide the router, the power adaptor, two manuals, one for DSL users, and one for all other users, plus the CD containing the software. Most people will connect their modem directly to the router, so the manuals and the software on the disk will be all you need to set it up.

However, considering that I still have several devices in my home that are not compatible with wireless, they still need a wired connection, so I knew I had to keep my wired router and my 15 port ethernet switch. Setting this up the way I wanted to was difficult because the instructions assumed a direct connection to a modem, not two routers working in tandem. The first thing you need to know, is that the Media Link wireless router can only be setup with a direct ethernet wired connection to your computer, otherwise you won't be able to log in to the routers setup.

Once I was in, I made all my necessary adjustments, changing the login password, changing my SSID, applying my security protocols. I learned that if I want to get 2 routers to work in tandem, then I need to change my wireless router's gateway IP address to match what my wired router is using. For example, the default address of the wireless router is 192.168.0.1. So if you have a wired router using a IP of say 192.168.1.1, then you have to go into your wireless router's lan settings under advanced settings, and change the IP to 192.168.1.2 and hit apply.

FYI, I am not using my wireless routers WAN port because I am not connecting it to a modem, rather I am connecting it to my ethernet switch using the included ethernet cable, and just connecting it to one of the yellow ports in the back. OK so now I have my router set up, I got internet access to the router, and by making the IP change, I now can access my wireless router from any computer on the network using my wired connection to the switch! Now I need to get the wireless devices to connect to the wireless router.

I found this next part to be easier to do then setting up the router. If running windows 7 on your computer, go to your start menu and type in, CONNECT TO A NETWORK. Then click on connect to a network under control panel in the list. If you set up your wireless router correctly, you should see your wireless router in the list of available networks. I did and all I had to do to connect to my wireless was select the security protocol I was using and enter my security key, and walla, I was connected!

I have read a lot of reviews for this router, of course not all 4000+ of them lol. And one of the many gripes I see from people is they bash the router for its poor range. I have a 1600 square foot home and I got wood, metal, and wireless signals going all over the place, so plenty of stuff for a wireless signal to have to go through. Signal strength is rated in 5 bars, 1 being poor, 5 being excellent. In the room that the wireless router is in, I am getting 5 bars to my computer. In the living room which is 40 feet away, I am getting 4 bars! So I have to say, the range is really good, and I am pretty happy with it.

I have an IP camera in my garage for security cause I got a lot of expensive stuff that I don't want to get stolen. For setting up the IP camera, it also likes a direct to computer wired connection. I logged into the IP camera setup, then I went to my wireless settings page, and I inputted the information for my wireless router networking and applied. After words, I removed the ethernet cable and went to connect to my IP camera's wifi. WOW was I surprised when I found out that my IP camera actually provides two IP addresses, one for a wired connection, and a different one for wireless.

I found this out because I logged into my ethernet wired router and looked at the status log to find two IP addresses for my IP camera. I used the search tool program provided with the IP camera and was able to find it on the network. Once I got the new IP address, I entered it in my browser, including the port I chose to go through, and walla, I am invincible! (Goldeneye 007 humor) Once I was viewing my IP camera feed, I was curious as to how much wireless bandwidth it uses, so I did CTR ALT DEL, and went into the task manager. Under the network tab I saw it was only using 2.5% of my available bandwidth, not bad!

Huston we have a problem. OK so I am excited that I got everything setup and want to just dive right in, only I lost my internet connection. Doesn't matter if I am using my wireless router or my wired connection, once I got the Media Link router on my network, lost internet. So I had to disable/enable my adaptor to get the net connection back, only to loose it again a minute later. I did some research online and though I don't fully understand it, the Media Link router wants to automatically connect to a DNS server by its choice, and totally bypasses your ISP provider's DNS server address.

This is what causes you to loose your internet connection short after you have established it. The site suggested that I choose a public DNS server such as google for example. You do this by going into your network adaptor settings and going into the TCPIPV4 protocols. What I had to do was select use the following dns server addresses and input those address's into the fields. Then I quickly disabled/enabled the adaptor, and then opened my internet browser.

Once I did that, I now had a stable internet connection that never dropped out, and as a plus, I discovered right away that my speeds had increased. So I did a speed test and found out I was getting 12MB down, when I used to get 3MB down before the change! So knowing that my wired connection to the router was getting 12MB down, I decided to do a speed test with my wireless. So I disconnected the wired ethernet and connected to my Media Link wireless router. I did a new speed test and I was getting 10MB down, so on average, my wireless connection speeds are not much slower then my wired ethernet!

I have not used my wireless router for very long, so I can't speak to longevity. But after I made the DNS change on my adaptor, I have been having very stable connections to the router, and the IP camera has not dropped connection yet, and like I said, the wireless signal is strong as well. I have a new cell phone which has WIFI ability, I inputted the wireless router network info into my phone and got it to connect easily. With WIFI enabled, I am able to browse the internet without occurring huge fees. The connection never dropped with my phone either so I am very happy about that.

CONCLUSION: If all your doing is setting this wireless router up to connect directly to your modem to serve wireless internet to devices in your home, then the included manuals and software will be all you need. But if your doing anything different, be prepared to pull your hair out. A computer illiterate person would find it impossible to do what I did. You really need to have some technical knowledge on computers and networking to set this up in any way that Media Link did not intend. Media Link, if your listening, this is a known issue with the DNS settings, so I encourage you to fix this problem in your next router.

Aside from all I had to go through to get this working for my setup, I am very happy with it. The router is sleek, small, light weight, looks awesome! But as other reviewers have stated, the blue LED's are very bright and do make a light show on your ceiling. I am happy with the strong signal, I am very happy with the super fast speeds of wireless N. And I got faster speeds in the process of setting all this up. I recommend this router but just know that it may require some research or a call to Media Links technical support line. Again the customer support is amazing, well done Media Link! 4-STARS.

(UPDATE! 8/8/2014)

I've had my Medialink wireless router for over a year now, and these are my thoughts. First of all, as of most recent, my 11-year old wired router finally kicked the bucket, as such, it forced me to use the wired capabilities of the new Medialink router. I was quite fond of the old unit as it was a business grade router, but nothing lasts forever, especially the case these days. I've been quite pleased with my wireless router, I only had to reset it once, as it was not serving a wireless internet connection for some reason. But to only have to reset a router once per year or less is quite good actually.

I remember an old Belkin router I used to have, and you had to reset it 20-times per year! I got tired of it always dropping packets, so thats why I got my Baricade wired router to replace it, business grade was what I needed. Anyways, my Medialink wireless router has been quite the little performer, I still got her serving a wireless security camera, and she's serving up to 2 computers if I choose to connect them via wireless, and she's serving cell phone wifi and a hand-helled console on occasion as well.

Having a wireless router is nice because it can expand your connection possibilities, and with everything going to wireless now days, its even more important to have a wireless router. I see myself connecting new wireless devices to it in the future no problem. Do you have an ipad? Well, those things are wifi based and do not use a wired connection, so this router would be perfect for you. I'd like to own an Ipad someday, its just not priority, cause I don't feel like dumping 400 bucks for one. Anyways, I still recommend the Medialink wireless router.
review image review image review image