5.0 out of 5 stars Best + Cheapest USB 3.0 Hard Drive I found on the net.
MY PROJECT:
I bought this hard drive case to fit my MacBook Pro 2012 internal hard drive (500GB). I put my new SSD hard drive (Crucial) in my MacBook and am now using this USB 3.0 external hard drive for my video editing and extra storage.

PROS:
Published on September 23, 2012 by Beau Chevassus

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked great for three months
Published on December 13, 2012 by Anthony C Lore

5.0 out of 5 stars Best + Cheapest USB 3.0 Hard Drive I found on the net., September 23, 2012
MY PROJECT:

PROS:
- VERY easy installation. (I've had several different external hard drive cases, and this one is the easiest by far. We're talking ONE philips screw.)
- Small and compact. Can fit it in my backpack and plug it in easily at a coffee shop.
- Fast enough for video editing. (USB 3.0 is mind-blowingly fast compared to USB 2.0.)
- Cheapest, best price I could find on the entire internet for a USB 3.0 case.
- Fits my laptop's hard drive nice and snugly.
- Requires no external power-source. (just plug it right into your computer's standard USB port)
- Handy little blue light lets you know if it's actually plugged in correctly.
- I rarely say this, but the small little box it was packaged in has awesome graphics on it, especially for a product this cheaply-priced. (If you are a designer, you will understand where I'm coming from)
- For fun, I put my old laptop hard drive in this case and booted directly from it, bypassing my MacBook Pro's internal hard drive completely. Just a confirmation that this little case is reliable enough to boot from it.

CONS:
- It didn't wash my car when I asked it to.

PERSONAL COMMENTS:
Just be aware of these things...
- Plastic structure. I suppose "plastic" is a given for something this well-priced. If you want a 'rugged' hard drive case, this isn't the case for you, but be willing to spend 10x the price. I'm not planning on traveling with this thing, but if you are make sure it's in a padded pocket.
- Packaging it was wrapped in (for mailing) was extremely difficult to remove... even after going at it with a Victorinox multi-tool. Well-protected, but super-overkill.
- Short USB cord. This drive will have to be right next to your computer, which is a bummer for those Martha Stewart-like people (e.g. My wife) who want to hide "those ugly computer devices." (ever notice that NO cords exist in home decorating magazines? The devices just sort of sit there, looking pretty and tucked away. How do they work?)

SUGGEST THIS TO FRIENDS?
- Absolutely.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Enclosure - Why SATA II (3.0 Gbps)?, November 27, 2012
This review is from: Mediasonic HDK-SU3 ProBox 2.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosure - USB 3.0 SuperSpeed, Support SATA 3 6.0Gbps HDD & UASP (Black) (Electronics)
This is my 6th SATA to USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure. It was purchased to house a 64GB Crucial m4 solid state drive while I'm on the go. When I'm home, I take it out of the enclosure and use a drive-bay dock to take advantage of SATA III speeds. Can it best my other enclosures, and be my go-to option? Let's find out.

Packaging and Bundled Items: ***** As I've seen mentioned in another review, the packaging is first-class. It's secure, well-designed, and informative. It does give a clue to my biggest issue with the drive though (more on that later). Bundled with the enclosure, you receive a stiff 2 foot micro-B to A USB 3.0 cable, a sticky-on-one-side 9mm square pad, and a button-snap carrying pouch. Although the instructions on the back of the box would have me stick the pad on my drive to keep it from banging around, it's not necessary with my 9mm-thick SSD. The carrying pouch is better than average, just behind the very nice one included with the Thermaltake Silver River 5G.

Fitment: ***** From the way the unit fits in the pouch, to the way the cover's screws fit in their threads, to the way my drive fits in its case, to the way the micro-B connector fits in the enclosure's port, everything is as good as I've seen.

Looks: ***** I know this is completely subjective, but I'll give my two cents. The checker finish looks great, and the logo is classy and unobtrusive. It's size and shape is perfect for me. The LED is a dim green when idle, and a dim red when active.

Performance: *** On the front of the box in barely-legible lettering, just under `FOR 2.5" SATA I/II/III HARD DRIVE', is this statement: "SATA III at 3.0 Gbps SATA II speed". This is not clear on the Amazon item page. In fact, due to the company's choice of font size on the box, I think it is intentionally made unclear. For people using mechanical hard drives, this isn't an issue. Anyone who wants to use an SSD though, should know the theoretical maximum transfer rate is ~ 300 MB/sec. In reality, it's more like 215 MB/sec. That's what I was able to achieve on a sequential-read benchmark run. Using a USB 3.0 enclosure truly compatible with the SATA III standard, I've achieved 340 MB/second under otherwise similar conditions.

Durability: ?? Will it go the way of many other enclosures and develop problems within a few months?

Despite its performance limitations, the Mediasonic HDK-SU3 does just about everything right and is my current reigning champion. It keeps my drive safe, reliably transfers data to and from systems, and does it in style.

I plan to update this review in a month or two. Stay tuned!

* * * * UPDATE: February 20th, 2013

Almost 3 months later, my m4 still spends most of its time in this enclosure. I wouldn't say this is any sort of record, but it puts the HDK-SU3 in the better half of enclosures I've used in terms of reliability.

To be fair, I religiously unplug my cable from the micro-B slot of the enclosure whenever I move it to prevent unnecessary stress on the port or any of its internal connections. This is something I may not have done back when USB 3.0 was a new thing. But even with the extra care, I feel as though that connection has become a little wobbly. My "Fitment" rating is now four stars.

Unfortunately, I feel this problem is inevitable with any device that uses a USB 3.0 micro-B connection. It's just a flimsy port standard. If longevity or reliability were my lone top priority, I would never choose any device that used it.

My overall four-star rating remains. I continue to view this Mediasonic enclosure as a good choice, especially when price is a factor.

Feel free to comment or ask a question. I'll do my best to respond.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked great for three months, December 13, 2012
The drive performed well at first. Placing my 128 gb SSD into the case was easy up until it came time to screw the case closed. It is easy to mis-align the screw and have it touch the circuit board while you are turning the screw. Readjusted and all was fine. Tried to use it recently, and it looks as if the usb connector is no longer making full contact with the circuit board. I can apply pressure and have it make contact (mount), but upon releasing the pressure it goes off-line. So, I'm here at amazon looking for a replacement. I WON'T be getting this one...

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly effective, decent performance, low cost, and easy to use, September 8, 2012
I bought this enclosure to make the installation of a new Crucial M4 SSD easier to do and to have a place for the old HDD to live after the brain transplant. It is inexpensive and plastic, so I do not think it would be too well protected as a portable drive unless you get it a separate case, but it does the job just fine. Cost is low due to only providing a USB 3.0 interface, which only gave me a USB 2.0 interface on my older MacBook Pro 2010, but that runs Xbench disk test with a score of 37.3 at a max rate of 33.9 MB/sec. The USB 3.0 speed on a new MBP Retina runs Xbench disk test with a score of 48.9 at a max rate of 53.0. For comparison, this same enclosure, running on the MBP Retina USB 3.0 with the Crucial M4 SSD, gave an Xbench score of 267.7 and max data rate of 185.9 MB/sec. Clearly the limit is the HDD, not the enclosure and its interfaces.

I'll keep this HDD / enclosure combo as a secondary portable backup / boot device.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Cheapest USB 3.0 Enclosures I've Seen, June 22, 2013
I purchased this USB 3.0 enclosure to temporarily pair with a Samsung 840 SSD in order to clone an internal drive to it. Installation is fairly simple, only 1 screw holds the two halves of the enclosure together. It is just a relatively cheap plastic shell, but it helps keep the cost down. Inside, there are small pieces of padding on the the sides to dampen drive vibration. I had the remove the rearmost piece, as fitting a 2.5" drive in this is a bit of a squeeze. You have to angle the drive in and wiggle the SATA and power connector in, slowly sliding the drive in and down in the process. Takes a bit of fiddling, but once seated, it is very snug. After the cloning, I replaced the internal drive with the 840 and now have a 5400 rpm drive in this enclosure. The USB 3.0 speeds are much appreciated. You can even tell the difference when using a mechanical drive. With the SSD, I was getting sequential reads of about 214 MB/s, and sequential writes of 136 MB/s. The random reads and writes were good as well, not as good as SATA III but still great for this cheap of an enclosure. Other than that, there is simply an LED behind a clear piece of plastic at the top of the enclosure that lights green when idle and flashes green/red when reading or writing. For the price, this is a fantastic device aided by a USB 3.0 connector. Just don't count on this to protect a drive from drops or anything like that as it does appear a bit flimsy. It is however fine for moving around from computer to computer. No disappointments here.

3.0 out of 5 stars For the price, can't complain, April 23, 2013
It works fine, but is pretty cheaply constructed. If you plan on putting a hard drive in and only swapping it a few times (ever), this should work fine for you. However, the way the hard drive has to be angled to push it into the SATA connector seems like it will wear out the enclosure easily if you swap drives too many times. Overall, an 'ok' buy for the money- not sure if there's anything better in this price range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mediasonic HDK-SU3 Hard Drive Case, October 24, 2012
I have bought many hard drive cases and I needed to get another. I previously bought a NexStar3 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 case off amazon.com and it was nice. I wanted something a little less bulky so I wouln't have trouble carrying it around in my pocket or something. I ordered this case due to the low price and previous reviews from some of their other products. I am happy with this product. It is just too easy to set up. It is actually faster than other 3.0 cases I have. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a low-cost hard drive case. It looks nice, is a good size, and performs well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 2.5" Enclosure So Far, June 15, 2013
This is a very nice enclosure. It is sturdy and only requires one cable. It comes with the cable and can be connected to a US 2.0 or 3.0 port on your computer. Since I rarely take my HD out of the enclosure, I do not mind the taking out and putting back the two screws that hold it together. I will be buying one more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a reliable product, May 5, 2013
The first one of these I received would not connect to my brand new Windows 8 laptop at all. It would constantly trigger the connect/disconnect sounds, and never show up in My Computer. I sent it back for a replacement. The second one I reviewed below. TLDR: it was unreliable at best. My laptop is an ASUS N56VJ.

When I got the second one, I put a 1TB HGST 5400 RPM drive in it and plugged it into a USB 3.0 port. It connected fine. I attempted to remove all partitions on the drive and create a single new partition, and the process hung. The light on the enclosure continued to flash as if it were doing something, but after waiting several minutes (with a progress bar stuck at 90%) for an operation that should take less than one minute, I had to unplug the drive. To my surprise, when I plugged it back in, the partitions were removed! So I tried to create a new partition. It hung again. I had to unplug it again. When I plugged it back in, it was partitioned, so I tried to format it (quick format). That hung, and would not finish after 3 attempts. Eventually I tried plugging it into another USB port, the "charging" port that provides power even when the computer is sleeping. That seemed to help, and the format finished quickly.

I performed a few CrystalDiskMark benchmarks on the hard drive I had in it and got these results:
Seqential Read: 107 MBps
Seqential Write: 106 MBps
Random read: 37 MBps
Random write: 40 MBps

To get these results, I had to try several times, as the benchmark would inexplicably fail while trying to write, occasionally. Others have reported the same problem with writing large files in the mediasonic forums. Since these results may have been bottlenecked by the hard drive and not the enclosure, I tried an SSD, and the benchmark completely failed every time when it got to the "write" portion (even when setting the data size to 100MB rather than the default 1000MB, and even when plugged into the "charging" USB 3.0 port)

Overall, I don't see how this drive has received so many positive reviews. This drive seems like it could possibly work if you don't plan to move large files or use an SSD, and perhaps the people reviewing it most commonly are in that situation. However, who knows what the real limitations of it are - I can't trust a drive that fails over and over in situations where it should be working. Considering the first one I received was completely broken, and the second one only half-worked, I can't help thinking this is not a reliable technology. I'm sending this one back and getting something else.

I gave it 2 stars because the physical design is very easy and light, with a single, simple USB 3.0 cable and it may work well enough to be usable in some cases.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, very good performance, fair mechanical., March 24, 2013
Put a Seagate 7200rpm 2.5" 320GB drive taken out of a Lenovo E430, that I upgraded to HGT 7200rpm 2.5" 500GB drive from WD.

Tested with ATTO benchmark, and I get about 120Mbs throughput on USB3 on my Lenovo E430 with Win8, which is very fast. My Win7 desktop gets about 150Mbs on full size 7200 RPM Seagate drives.

On USB2, the throughput is 30 Mbs, what you would expect.

Physical mounting could be a lot better to protect the drive. Although the drive does not move around after the case is closed.
Solid aluminum case, with a plastic liner below the drive to prevent shorting out of drive PC board to the case.

There is a lot of space above the drive, they supply a 1/4" square rubber pad with no guidance as to where to put it.
I put it on the bottom of the drive on the PC board, rather than on top, where it might press on the drive case.