4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Enclosure - Why SATA II (3.0 Gbps)?
This is my 6th SATA to USB 3.0 hard drive enclosure. It was purchased to house a 64GB Crucial m4 solid state drive while I'm on the go. When I'm home, I take it out of the enclosure and use a drive-bay dock to take advantage of SATA III speeds. Can it best my other enclosures, and be my go-to option? Let's find out.

Packaging and Bundled Items: ***** As I've...
Published 19 months ago by pdubbs330

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a reliable product
The first one of these I received would not connect to my brand new Windows 8 laptop at all. It would constantly trigger the connect/disconnect sounds, and never show up in My Computer. I sent it back for a replacement. The second one I reviewed below. TLDR: it was unreliable at best. My laptop is an ASUS N56VJ.

When I got the second one, I put a 1TB HGST...
Published 14 months ago by Joseph Marty

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Enclosure - Why SATA II (3.0 Gbps)?, November 27, 2012
This review is from: Mediasonic HDK-SU3 Smart Drive 2.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosure - USB 3.0 SuperSpeed (Electronics)

Packaging and Bundled Items: ***** As I've seen mentioned in another review, the packaging is first-class. It's secure, well-designed, and informative. It does give a clue to my biggest issue with the drive though (more on that later). Bundled with the enclosure, you receive a stiff 2 foot micro-B to A USB 3.0 cable, a sticky-on-one-side 9mm square pad, and a button-snap carrying pouch. Although the instructions on the back of the box would have me stick the pad on my drive to keep it from banging around, it's not necessary with my 9mm-thick SSD. The carrying pouch is better than average, just behind the very nice one included with the Thermaltake Silver River 5G.

Fitment: ***** From the way the unit fits in the pouch, to the way the cover's screws fit in their threads, to the way my drive fits in its case, to the way the micro-B connector fits in the enclosure's port, everything is as good as I've seen.

Looks: ***** I know this is completely subjective, but I'll give my two cents. The checker finish looks great, and the logo is classy and unobtrusive. It's size and shape is perfect for me. The LED is a dim green when idle, and a dim red when active.

Performance: *** On the front of the box in barely-legible lettering, just under `FOR 2.5" SATA I/II/III HARD DRIVE', is this statement: "SATA III at 3.0 Gbps SATA II speed". This is not clear on the Amazon item page. In fact, due to the company's choice of font size on the box, I think it is intentionally made unclear. For people using mechanical hard drives, this isn't an issue. Anyone who wants to use an SSD though, should know the theoretical maximum transfer rate is ~ 300 MB/sec. In reality, it's more like 215 MB/sec. That's what I was able to achieve on a sequential-read benchmark run. Using a USB 3.0 enclosure truly compatible with the SATA III standard, I've achieved 340 MB/second under otherwise similar conditions.

Durability: ?? Will it go the way of many other enclosures and develop problems within a few months?

Despite its performance limitations, the Mediasonic HDK-SU3 does just about everything right and is my current reigning champion. It keeps my drive safe, reliably transfers data to and from systems, and does it in style.

I plan to update this review in a month or two. Stay tuned!

* * * * UPDATE: February 20th, 2013

Almost 3 months later, my m4 still spends most of its time in this enclosure. I wouldn't say this is any sort of record, but it puts the HDK-SU3 in the better half of enclosures I've used in terms of reliability.

To be fair, I religiously unplug my cable from the micro-B slot of the enclosure whenever I move it to prevent unnecessary stress on the port or any of its internal connections. This is something I may not have done back when USB 3.0 was a new thing. But even with the extra care, I feel as though that connection has become a little wobbly. My "Fitment" rating is now four stars.

Unfortunately, I feel this problem is inevitable with any device that uses a USB 3.0 micro-B connection. It's just a flimsy port standard. If longevity or reliability were my lone top priority, I would never choose any device that used it.

My overall four-star rating remains. I continue to view this Mediasonic enclosure as a good choice, especially when price is a factor.

Feel free to comment or ask a question. I'll do my best to respond.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mediasonic HDK-SU3 Hard Drive Case, October 24, 2012
I have bought many hard drive cases and I needed to get another. I previously bought a NexStar3 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 case off amazon.com and it was nice. I wanted something a little less bulky so I wouln't have trouble carrying it around in my pocket or something. I ordered this case due to the low price and previous reviews from some of their other products. I am happy with this product. It is just too easy to set up. It is actually faster than other 3.0 cases I have. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a low-cost hard drive case. It looks nice, is a good size, and performs well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 2.5" Enclosure So Far, June 15, 2013
This is a very nice enclosure. It is sturdy and only requires one cable. It comes with the cable and can be connected to a US 2.0 or 3.0 port on your computer. Since I rarely take my HD out of the enclosure, I do not mind the taking out and putting back the two screws that hold it together. I will be buying one more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a reliable product, May 5, 2013

When I got the second one, I put a 1TB HGST 5400 RPM drive in it and plugged it into a USB 3.0 port. It connected fine. I attempted to remove all partitions on the drive and create a single new partition, and the process hung. The light on the enclosure continued to flash as if it were doing something, but after waiting several minutes (with a progress bar stuck at 90%) for an operation that should take less than one minute, I had to unplug the drive. To my surprise, when I plugged it back in, the partitions were removed! So I tried to create a new partition. It hung again. I had to unplug it again. When I plugged it back in, it was partitioned, so I tried to format it (quick format). That hung, and would not finish after 3 attempts. Eventually I tried plugging it into another USB port, the "charging" port that provides power even when the computer is sleeping. That seemed to help, and the format finished quickly.

I performed a few CrystalDiskMark benchmarks on the hard drive I had in it and got these results:
Seqential Read: 107 MBps
Seqential Write: 106 MBps
Random read: 37 MBps
Random write: 40 MBps

To get these results, I had to try several times, as the benchmark would inexplicably fail while trying to write, occasionally. Others have reported the same problem with writing large files in the mediasonic forums. Since these results may have been bottlenecked by the hard drive and not the enclosure, I tried an SSD, and the benchmark completely failed every time when it got to the "write" portion (even when setting the data size to 100MB rather than the default 1000MB, and even when plugged into the "charging" USB 3.0 port)

Overall, I don't see how this drive has received so many positive reviews. This drive seems like it could possibly work if you don't plan to move large files or use an SSD, and perhaps the people reviewing it most commonly are in that situation. However, who knows what the real limitations of it are - I can't trust a drive that fails over and over in situations where it should be working. Considering the first one I received was completely broken, and the second one only half-worked, I can't help thinking this is not a reliable technology. I'm sending this one back and getting something else.

I gave it 2 stars because the physical design is very easy and light, with a single, simple USB 3.0 cable and it may work well enough to be usable in some cases.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, very good performance, fair mechanical., March 24, 2013
Put a Seagate 7200rpm 2.5" 320GB drive taken out of a Lenovo E430, that I upgraded to HGT 7200rpm 2.5" 500GB drive from WD.

Tested with ATTO benchmark, and I get about 120Mbs throughput on USB3 on my Lenovo E430 with Win8, which is very fast. My Win7 desktop gets about 150Mbs on full size 7200 RPM Seagate drives.

On USB2, the throughput is 30 Mbs, what you would expect.

Physical mounting could be a lot better to protect the drive. Although the drive does not move around after the case is closed.
Solid aluminum case, with a plastic liner below the drive to prevent shorting out of drive PC board to the case.

There is a lot of space above the drive, they supply a 1/4" square rubber pad with no guidance as to where to put it.
I put it on the bottom of the drive on the PC board, rather than on top, where it might press on the drive case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great build quality, awesome speed, September 27, 2013
iamlucas "Lucas" (San Jose, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I connected this via USB3 to a late 2012 Mac Mini. I am using a Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE500BW inside.
This SSD specs state 540 MB/s read, and 520 MB/s write speeds.

Using the Blackmagic disk speed test, connected via USB, I measured 400MB/s write, and 450MB/s read. Not quite what the specs suggest, but I imagine the difference is because it is connected via USB, not SATA.

For reference, the internal disk on my Mac Mini is 408MB/s write, and 455MB/s read. This external combo is just as fast as my internal SSD.

I can say without a doubt that this enclosure is fast, and is exactly what I want.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mediasonic HDK-SU3 2.5" Drive enclosure, May 28, 2013
This seems to be one of the better made enclosures for 2.5 inch drives offering USB 3.0 support. There are no included instructions - everything is printed on the outside packaging. Remove two end screws, then the cover, slide in the drive (note: there is a small foam adhesive pad to stick on drive to prevent rattling). Close it up, reverse the procedure and you're set to go. Comes with a nice snap-closure case and a one foot USB cable that support UJSB 3.0. Thoughtful design touches: the case has a nice diamond texture (should make any scratches less noticable and the LED activity light is on the top front (flashes red/green) making it clearly visible. Overall, pleased with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Am Real Happy!, March 29, 2013
I'll try to remember to do a follow-up review in 30 days, but did want to comment on this. It just arrived today and so far, so good. This one actually replaces a Dynex USB 3.0 case that I purchased from Best Buy which kept disconnecting from my 13" MBPr with Retina Display. The Dynex worked well on my Windows Laptop (only USB 2.0), but would not stay connected to my Mac. I returned it and after some research purchased this Mediasonic one off of Amazon.

Though it doesn't have instructions, it is easy to figure out how to install your drive (2 screws, plug-in and go), and came with a USB 3.0 cable. I plugged it into my Mac and everything is great. I did a couple of test file transfers and while I won't get technical, it transferred a 6.4GB ISO image from the external drive to the Mac in slightly over a minute. The same image from an external USB 2.0 drive took 3.5 minutes. The drive installed in the case is a 750GB Seagate Momentus XT SSD/HD, which I was using in my Windows laptop before I bought the Mac.

Most negative reviews for these types of drives seem to come after having them for a while. I travel extensively, so this drive will be plugged and unplugged a lot and traveling in my laptop bag, so in 30 days I should be able to give a report on it's performance after rough use.

UPDATE 12/22/2013
I've now had this enclosure for 9 months with weekly travel and constant usage. I can only say that it continues to work great. I've had no issues and no hiccups with this device. I have hauled it around loose in my backpack and it still looks as new as the day I unboxed it. It keeps its 5 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little hard drive enclosure~, February 28, 2013
This is an easy to install, straightforward enclosure. One note: You may have to format your hard drive and assign it a drive letter so your computer will see it, if you don't it may not recognize it. Other than that I highly recommend this. I am probably going to get a few more for the convenience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible performance in such an small package!, February 12, 2013
If you need an external SATA II/III enclosure for you, this is the one to go: solid build, easy-access for the SSD/HD to put inside, and amazing performance through USB3, 110% recommended

Rate and Discover Movies