5.0 out of 5 stars Quality local storage.
Function: Given that my computer can handle port multiplying for USB and eSATA, this has met all expectations and performed excellently. The drives stay cool, I've no complaints about function.

Published on December 7, 2010 by W. Kiley

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, No Sleep/Idle for Drives, Not for NAS Backup
This is a fantastic value. For under $100 (as of 2/2011) you get a solidly built, compact, 4-bay SATA enclosure that supports both eSata and USB 2.0. There are a couple of downsides to the Mediasonic 3.5-Inch USB 2.0 and eSATA Pro Box 4-Bay Enclosure HF2-SU2S2 (Black):

Published on February 20, 2011 by Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, No Sleep/Idle for Drives, Not for NAS Backup, February 20, 2011
Paul (SF Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mediasonic HF2-SU2S2 ProBox 4 Bay 3.5" SATA Hard Drive Enclosure - USB 2.0 & eSATA (Personal Computers)

* Although there is a sync mode that will turn the unit off or put it to sleep it only works when the device is connected to also goes to sleep or gets turned off. That's fine if you're using it with a PC but with a NAS it means that it stays on all of the time with the disks spinning. That's a waste of disk and energy if it's being used once in a while.
* There's a *really* bright blue activity light that will easily light up a room at night and is even visible from the street!
* The power connector is on the side. Makes for messy wiring and is kinda annoying.

You should also know that your host sata interface needs to support multiplexing or you'll be able to access the first drive via sata (not a problem with USB). That's just a limitation of this product and it's clear from the documentation. Just an FYI.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality local storage., December 7, 2010
W. Kiley (Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews

Construction: Solid construction. The drives never jostle (and I port this thing around multiple times per week). The power input, as mentioned by others, is shaped at a right angle and I frequently see the cable bend to undue stress because of it. The lifespan of the power supply will surely be less than the device because of this and the way I use it. The only other complaint I have is the fan. On the lowest speed, mine makes an unsteady, rather loud hum. On high, it's steady and loud as expected.

Performance: Copying data from a 5400rpm 2.5" drive on my computer to 5400rpm 3.5" drive in the enclosure, I see speeds around 60-100 MB/s on eSATA and around 25-30MB/s on USB, depending on file size and whatnot. From drive to drive within the enclosure it's usually 90+ MB/s. Please note that these speeds are highly dependent upon my drives, my SATA controller, and various other external factors.

I'm glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly small foot print!, March 7, 2011
This thing is amazingly small for an enclosure that holds 4 SATA Hard disk drives, I am truly impressed by the build quality of materials and workmanship, Installing Hard disks is easy just attach the handle with screws that they provide (Hey they even give you a screw driver!) and presto! You are ready to use your hard drives via USB or ESATA interface.

Accessing all the 4 drive bays using USB 2.0 interface is no big issues, Most of the operating systems will directly support this without any need for additional drivers. However, if you plan on using the ESATA interface you will need to plan and attach this to an ESATA port that supports Port Multiplier w/ FIS-based switching in order to access 4 HDDs simultaneously.

Some newer motherboards easily does this, Please do some research with your motherboard documentation and or update the drivers for your onboard SATA/ESATA interfaces to support this feature.

If you motherboard does not support Port Multiplier w/ FIS-based switching in order to access multiple HDDs simultaneously, You can buy a PCIe or PCIMCIA based add-on controller card that must explicitly say that it can support Port Multiplier w/ FIS-based switching in order to access the 4 HDDs simultaneously.

Amazon sells a lot of these cards for various applications (Desktop PC or Laptops)

Desktop solution : one of them is Syba SD-SA2PEX-2E PCIe 2x e-SATA Ports with SIL3132 Chipset, if you want just RAID 0 or 1 or if you want more features you need to shell out little bit more and buy other such add-on cards.

Laptop Solution: one of them is Syba SD-PCBX-ESA2 ExpressCard SIL3132 Chipset 2x e-SATA II (SATA2) Ports, 54mm, Up to 3.0Gb/s

There are many more add-on cards offered elsewhere, but do your research and make sure that ESATA interface must support Port Multiplier w/ FIS-based switching in order to access 4 HDDs simultaneously.

PROS

[+] Very Small foot print
[+] Very reasonably priced
[+] Excellent Quality and build of materials
[+] Keeps all the drives well cooled for prolonged operation
[+] Very good transfer rates even with USB 2.0 (Averaging 25 to about max 37.5 MBytes/s)

CONS

[-] Very Bright Blue LED's that flash like crazy! (Nothing a black electrical tape cannot hide)
[-] Can be very loud if the FAN is operating at high speed
[-] Power connector port is on the side which makes it impossible to keep multiple units side by side

Despite the few cons, the Pro Box 4-Bay Enclosure HF2-SU2S2 is a very good purchase!

Highly recommended! GO buy one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great storage Solution, December 25, 2010
I have a Mac OS X 10.5.6 pro tower and I got this as a Christmas gift (you know it's love when your wife buys you storage enclosures) and I was a little skeptical about this device at first. But I plugged in the drives, hooked it to my currently installed Esata card and it worked right away. Really easy set, so far it is reliable. I do video editing so the ability to have high capacity storage on an Esata interface is critical. So far so good. Note, it does not come with a controller card!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so great, November 2, 2011
This device works - mostly. It's not appropriate for a server environment. When the server reboots, the auto-power off shuts down the entire box. This happens on a warm reboot as well as a hard reset. This is a horrible action for a sata enclosure to exhibit. Additionally, when powering up, it resets hard drives in a very scary fashion. It hard powers down and resets four or five times before the drives 'stay on'. These are brand new, known good drives. Again, the enclosure is the issue. Combined with the strange power placement, and very odd mounting system, I have to recommend against this enclosure. It may be useful as a test bench item, where you need to do raid recovery or mount multiple drives into a file-system at once for data recovery - but I've used these types of enclosures for years, and this one is not so hot. I would use Rosewill enclosures before I would rely on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real bargain, October 15, 2010
I have been looking for an enclosure for several 1TB drives I have from old computers and this one fit all the requirements; 4 bays, easy setup, and inexpensive. Other 4-bay enclosures were $60 to over $100 more, but so far this is working great. Took me all of 30 minutes from out of the box to all four drives up and running. The only drawback is each drive opens a autoplay box on startup. No big deal, just an annoyance. If you're looking for a way to use any old drives you have laying around, get one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure your motherboard supports FIS port multiplying before purchasing!, December 17, 2010
I got this for my home theater PC. The case only supports one hard drive so it was necessary to have an enclosure.

Right now I have about 3TB worth of drives in there and it works great.

I had to hook it in through USB because my motherboard only supports CBS port multiplying (can only read one device at a time). Make sure your motherboard supports FIS port multiplying if you want to use eSATA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid product, August 19, 2010
I purchased this enclosure since my computer ran out of storage. This neat box looks good and works out of the box. I put my old 400GB and throw in a new 2TB WD Green drive. No problem there. I still have 2 more bay to go, but for the time being, this is good enough setup, until I find more stuff to download. The blue LED adds a cool look!

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious bang for your buck., July 25, 2011
R. Hammons (Cleveland, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This thing could easily sell for more and still be worth every penny. It's built very solidly, works right out of the box, and is ideal for home office or HTPC use. I consolidated four external drives I had living under my entertainment center into this in a matter of 10 minutes, attached it to the USB port on my router - instantly giving me access to all 12 terabytes of data across my entire network, and threw 4 power bricks, and a slew of USB cables into a bin in my closet to forget the nightmare I had accumulated and dealt with over the past few years.

The trays it comes with are well engineered - attach two screws, slide the drive in, and you're all set. Also, the performance on this thing has been as expected - I only had it plugged in directly for a day, and it was as fast as all my other USB external drives. With it attached to our wireless N network, I can easily stream 1080p video without any problems.

The single downfall with this device is it's blue LED display, there are four of these LEDs and they are extremely bright. I store this in a closed upstairs closet and at night, if I'm writing or reading from these, it looks like there's an alien abduction occurring behind the closet door. You could probably read a book in a pitch black room if you had this thing plugged in nearby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, December 16, 2010
Works perfectly!!! Solved my problem. I recently switched from a PC to a new iMac after my Dell crapped out and I have a ton of loose hard drives with all of my files from the last 10 years. Bought this enclosure and put a 300gb 500gb 1tb and 1.5tb disks into the unit, plugged it in and all of my drives show up on the desktop. It looks cool (way better than the stock photos show) and it is heavy duty and made of metal which you can't really tell from the pics. Also cool: the fan changes automatically through 3 speeds, or you can just manually set it to a certain speed. Also cool: blue lights on the front look great. If you have a bunch of hard drives laying around like I did, buy this unit!