Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 15, 2013
I could not believe how easy it was to set up. I was watching TV and could not believe how many channels it pulled in.
11 comment| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 29, 2013
*9/14 update* with Xbox One updates this summer, you can now control this as your TV through voice commands. It was working for me for a month this way and then the device just stopped working entirely. Currently waiting for contact from company and debating other options. *end update*

From the prior above review and xbox.com forums, I bought this thinking that it should provide a way to get my over-the-air (OTA) HD channels directly into my Xbox One through the HDMI connection. I was somewhat mistaken.

The good news, it works very well! Got me more stations than I had before with my TV and HD-antenna and setup was easy. Totally worth saving the $50-75/month in cable TV fees.

The bad news, the Xbox One does NOT currently recognize it. What this means: while you can watch TV through the TV app in Xbox One, you cannot change channels or power on/off the HW180STB box. You have to do this using the provided remote (and you need to get two AAA batteries for that as well an HDMI cord). The only other minor negative is the small red LED that indicates off or standby is incredibly bright.

I hope/suspect Microsoft will probably get drivers to recognize this in the future, but now it's just one large step toward being able to control OTA TV through the Xbox One. If I would do it again, I would recommend getting the only one that the Xbox One has information on in its system: the HW150PVR that is currently only $5 more HomeWorx HW-150PVR ATSC Digital TV Converter Box w/ Media Player & Recording PVR Function / HDMI Out
1414 comments| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2014
Very simple to install. Gives us local digital TV channels. When scanning for channel I found it necessary to set to the lowest resolution in order to pull in the most channels. No AAA batteries are included with the remote. Like the fact that it had HDMI out. Would purchase again.
on May 24, 2014
I am enjoying this Converter Box. I was so tired of paying the cable bill. It was easy to set up, I just took it out of the box, hooked it to my TV, hooked the antenna to it. And it was ready to find my local digital stations for me. It is working for me and I am enjoying free TV!
33 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2014
As I saw in other reviews this did not last long. It did seem to get me a better picture than my old converter so I was really excited. then an hour later there was a beeping sound. turned it off and on and it was ok. then a little while later the picture became scrambled. I saw someone complain about adding favorites. I didn't think it took that long. I do believe it probably looses them. instead of using favorites I just skip all the Spanish speaking channels it picks up. (I'm in San diego)

Try something better.
on November 29, 2013
This works great and having the HDMI output makes it worth a LOT more. This is great for old TVs as well as the small projectors that don't have a coaxial cable input! This box allows me to watch TV from an Antenna or from my Townhouse's Cable connection through my projector with great definition. Great buy!
on December 4, 2013
More bang for your buck. Easy to hook up and program. I have it hooked up to one of my projectors and it is great. With a very cheap antenna, I can get all my local channels, of course I have to move the antenna around a bit, but I do live in an apartment. I haven't tried the dvr portion of it yet, but even though it says that the USB will only support a flash drive of 64 gb, I plugged in my 1T h/drive for playback and it works great. Gonna have to buy another one soon. Better and cheaper then the ones I've seen in the stores.
on November 30, 2013
Just purchased this after buying the awful Channel Master CM-7001 (junk) over the summer. I have a Denon X4000 receiver which feeds my Epson 5020UB projector. Not only is the interface great, I set the sound to RAW and get Dolby Digital which feeds my receiver. It sounds spectacular. And it's $80 cheaper than the CM 7001. Which had terrible sound through the HDMI. If you run a projector and/or run through a receiver via HDMI, get this. At $40, it's a no brainer.
66 comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2014
The first box overheated easily and then quit working so we sent it back for another one.

The second one we plugged into a top of the line surge protector, and put it on a wire shelf to allow for good airflow, and it quit working before year 2.

I know it's not very expensive, but be ready to buy a new one within a year of the warranty expiring.
***************************************************************************************************************************************************************
We had some older big screen analog TVs with a good picture that we didn't want to just throw away or recycle. We couldn't afford to replace them all right away, so we purchased a couple of these boxes and the amazonbasics thin antenna's and we receive crystal clear OTA TV without paying a monthly cable bill! They also work with our existing analog TiVo Series 2 boxes which we purchased many years ago and paid for the lifetime subscription up front. We hook up the TiVo between the HomeWorx box and the TV and we don't miss one minute of our favorite programs--for free!

Update: The converter STILL works! However, it is subject to issues with overheating. I originally had it sitting on top of the Receiver, and it would get too hot and start scrolling through the channels without touching the remote. I have since set it on the top shelf of a wire rack with nothing above or below it. The one in the bedroom, we set on its side next to the TV but left plenty of airspace on both sides. So make sure to leave plenty of space for air to flow through and it should work fine.
on April 17, 2014
Save your money. Like so many other customers, unit worked fine for a couple months. Then, after the return window passed, the unit died. Still powers on and gets green light, but no longer detects any channels.