5.0 out of 5 stars Simply THE best introduction to medical ethics. Period.
I've been teaching with this book for nearly 10 years, having survived several new editions and I keep coming back to it, for several reasons:

Published on March 4, 2011 by Amazon Greek

3.0 out of 5 stars Good review but biased
This book is a good review of the historic bioethics cases that have affected all of us in one way or another. However, the author's bias is clearly seen in his overuse of adjectives that leave no doubt as to his opinion. Nevertheless, this is a good compilation of case studies and it is a good introduction to thinking about bioethics.
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply THE best introduction to medical ethics. Period., March 4, 2011
This review is from: Medical Ethics: Accounts of Ground-Breaking Cases (Paperback)

1. It's easy to read. Honestly, some textbooks (especially Philosophy) can be dry, using big words to explain big concepts that only make sense to those in the major. This book is written in everyday language, which means a lot to undergraduate students with huge reading schedules. The key terms are still introduced, but in a way that's not off-putting to undergraduates.

2. It's interesting. The cases are about real people and the real medical dilemmas they were faced with, placed in the context of history and significance for ethics. It's all relevant.

3. The tough topics are there. Pence does a great job explaining what can be difficult ideas to grasp. The case studies are examples. The ethical debates are very clearly identified.

4. It's both ethics and medicine. Some other reviews (of previous editions) suggest the ethics chapter should be gone -- no way! The field is, after all, medical ETHICS, so it would be negligent not to include the ethical theory. Most of the concepts people already understand; Pence does a good job explaining the technical words for them (like utilitarianism, deontology, etc.).

5. It really is objective. Despite protests from those who feel Pence beats up on religion -- especially regarding abortion -- the many complicated sides of these controversial issues are presented. (NOTE: It is a FACT that the Catholic Church turned away from science in response to Darwin with its policy of infallibility in the late 19th century, that there's a ban against birth control, and that the Bible defines life according to breath through the nostrils. Pence presents this information because it impacts the interpretation of the Church's position on certain issues. If philosophy can't be critical, there is no point in studying ethics at all).

This is by far the best introduction to medical ethics I've found. It's not perfect, but there's nothing better. Yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good job balancing both sides, and interesting., May 4, 2011
I was dreading taking my medical ethics class, but having this book for our text made it interesting. The text was engaging and the average person should be able to understand it. I was pretty sure of how I felt about a lot of controversial medical topics before I read this book, but the author really opened my eyes in areas that surprised me. I didn't read the entire book, but about 3/4 of it, and I am very glad that I did.

I think the author did an excellent job of presenting both sides of issues. Just when I would think I had him figured out, he would turn and argue for the other side. Very informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, May 27, 2013
I originally picked up this book for a class that I ended up dropping as I changed my majors. I opened up the first page and found it easy to read and easy to remember. Two things I don't often find books that relate to any specific field (right now I'm reading a dense book on economics).

It's a fascinating book that does provide both sides to the arguments. It's not biased, it's just presenting a fair, objective point of view backed by evidence of the claims i.e. the church's stance on abortion, cloning, assisted suicide, as well as providing a counter argument based off of those interested in compassion, the expression of the individual, and their right to a fair and humane life.

It's very informative and articles that would otherwise be hard to find on the internet and would be very dense or lengthy are summarized in layman's terms. I found that it makes it easy to remember the key points which can easily be recalled in a discussion of the subject. For example, before Roe vs. Wade, abortions were still happening just in unsafe conditions with a high mortality rate. After the Supreme court passed that landmark judgement, abortions were conducted within the letter of the law in more hygienic facilities with a lower mortality rate. Roe vs. Wade didn't make abortion normal or mainstream, it just moved the practice out of dangerous and dingy places where patients couldn't hold the practitioners liable for any complications or malpractice.

5.0 out of 5 stars I recommend this for those working in Medicine/healthcare!, February 26, 2014
If you work with patients or work in a healthcare environment, you must must must read this book! This book highlights all types of situations when medical ethics is jeopardized. It addresses the diasbled, the vegetated, the minority, and the unborn. I bought this book for class and it's so helpful I kept it instead of selling it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, February 4, 2014
This book was used by my professor for her class and this was a great book to understand the different situations in the medical field. I would highly recommend this book to those going into medicine or other medical fields. This was a great book to understand ethics because it gives real life events and uses the terms greatly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read, February 21, 2014
I love this book very interesting, very useful information for my Medical Sociology class. Hope Pence has more useful books written by him that i'm able to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good review but biased, February 14, 2014
Amazon Customer (Woodbridge, VA USA) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, November 24, 2014
had some interesting cases in it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Textbook, January 15, 2014
This book looks brand new. No pages are missing or ripped. None of the pages are highlighted. The cover is in great condition. Great value! Great price!

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, September 29, 2014
Good book of case examples. A bit outdated- but useful for learning more about ethical dilemmas.

Medical Ethics: Accounts of Ground-Breaking Cases
Medical Ethics: Accounts of Ground-Breaking Cases by Gregory E. Pence (Paperback - March 29, 2010)
$76.80