Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on May 8, 2004
Many clinicians confuse conversation skills (which most people have) with professional communication skills (which most have had little formal training in at all).
The cinicians in our practice have found it helpful in becoming more patient-centered in the goals setting process. The payoff being that patients who are more involved in their goal setiing and treatment planning are usually are more adherent to their treatment plan and demonstrate better outcomes. The book does a good job describing the difference between the traditional clinician-centered interview proceess and the patient-centered interview process and helping us blend the two. It does a particularly good job at giving strategies of how to work with various types of patients, i.e. the reticent, passive, overly talkative etc..
Strong in the fundamentals. Practical.
Highly recommended
on December 29, 2015
Obviously there are some sections that aren't very relevant to animals but as a veterinarian I felt like I learned a lot about how to approach medical history taking and the common emotions and challenges that are inherent in the subject. People treat their pets as family fairly often nowadays and keeping this in mind veterinary care becomes a lot more like care for a person that is unable to make health decisions for themself. There is a decent amount of time spent on this topic which was helpful for me to read. I also enjoyed the way the book was layed out and the writing style, it made it much easier to read and even enjoyable instead of being dry like most textbooks.
on February 4, 2016
|TITLE|
• The Medical Interview:
• Mastering skills for clinical Practice:
• 5th Edition
|AUTHORS|
• Professor Jack L. Coulehan, M.D., M.P.H., M.A.C.P.
• Center for Medical Humanities, Compassionate Care and Bioethics
• SUNY @ Stony Brook

• Professor Marian R. Block, M.D., A.B.F.B, F.A.A.F.P.
• Chief Quality Officer
• Western Pennsylvania Hospital
• Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
|FORWARD| Professor Mack Lipkin M.D., M.A.C.P. ---N.Y.U. School of Medicine
• |BOOK FORMAT| soft cover, 409 pages
• |BOOK COPYRIGHT| E.A. Davis, Philadelphia…2006
• |FONT| bold type deployed to emphasize quintessential data
• |ILLUSTRATIVE CARTOONS| pages 51, 107, 214, 275, 364
• “To know what you know and to know what you do not know is knowledge!”
 Henry David Thoreau {1827 – 1862}
This outstanding text begins with an exemplary interview re: “Migraine Headaches,” (pages 13 & 14) that I appreciate both as I am a Board Certified Internist and as I am a Migraineur. This outstanding text emphasizes, “Open-Ended-Questions,” (page 111} this outstanding text presents, “Our Wisdom of the Ages,” inclusive of:
• “Seal up the Mouth-of-Outrage till we can clear these ambiguities and know:
• Their Spring…Their Head…Their true Descent” Romeo and Juliet Act 5, Scene 3.---Sir William Shakespeare {1564 – 1616}
• “If a great many remedies are suggested for some disease, it means that the disease is incurable,”--Anton Pavlovich Chekhov M.D. {1860 - 1904}
• I add: “Happy families are all alike. Unhappy families are unhappy each in their own way,” Anna Karenina --- Count Leo Tolstoy {1828 – 1910}
|RECOMMENDATIONS|
A copy of this outstanding text should be given to all of our medical students in all of our Colleges of Medicine to read and to discuss with their Mentors. Our Residency Directors in all of our Primary Care Specialties may well choose to read and to study this outstanding test as well. Our Allied Healthcare Provider Professionals including our Mid-Levels {our Nurse Practitioners and our Physician Associates} and our First-Responders {our Paramedics and our E.M.T.s} may well chose to study this outstanding text with their Mentors. FIVE STAR 5*****RATING
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 15, 2011
I am very pleased with my purchase. I bought this book to read on my own...I was introduced to it by a former instructor. The book is very informative and defintely a must if you're going into the medical field where you will have to deal with patients on a regular basis.
on September 18, 2011
This book was required for one of my classes and I found it to be somewhat useful. It has some pretty good case scenarios that you can definitely learn from.
on August 6, 2000
Excellent book for an introduction of the subject to medical students. Gives many examples of interviews that are very helpful. Rapid reading.
on December 28, 2012
Good overview of patient interviewing skills. This covers a lot of the "soft skills" of taking a patient history. It doesn't have much of the clinical reasoning parts, that guide you in the questioning and in provide some direction in information gathering, but is good for someone new to interacting with patients. It is also fairly concise.
on June 20, 2011
An excellent book for all the people interested in the topic. It is very clear and direct, but it can get sometimes repetitive.
on December 17, 2013
Great read for refining medical interview skills to get to the meat and potatoes of what is going on with a client.
on June 10, 2013
This book is very detailed and goes through scenarios that can apply to real life when you are interviewing people.