Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on January 17, 2007
As a nurse in Dallas TX, you HAVE to know some spanish, as anywhere from 1-3 of your patients each day is spanish-speaking only. I had the misfortune of growing up in Tennessee (I got to TX as soon as I could =-), so I chose to learn French earlier which hasn't helped me so far in communicating to a single patient. Anyway, this little guy fits in your pocket but is a bit tall. It's got almost all of the essentials like body parts, common diseases, numbers, tells you how to say I've called a translator...etc. But I've found that the middle two pages don't help very much to a floor nurse- they're just kinda random questions and statements. I love how it's plastic though and you can just wipe it off with alcohol or whatever so you won't spread cooties. Pretty good bang for the buck.
0Comment52 of 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2011
I ordered this set as an aide to learning Spanish medical terms. Since I am already fluent in English/Spanish I really just needed the more specific Spanish terminology for such terms as CT scan, coagulation, arthroscopy, etc. Since I was already placing an order for a Spanish Medical Dictionary, I tossed this one in with the order just in case.

For someone who is not already familiar with Spanish, this is obviously a great tool. It's neatly divided into categories such as Common Commands, Days of the Week, Numbers and Time, Common Questions, etc. It also includes typical interview questions such as "hello, I'm Dr ---" "How long have you been sick?" etc. Categories are also included for the interview, medical history, the physical exam, diagnosis & medication, tests, and nursing instruction.

Something to keep in mind is that these cards are basically a one-sided interview/conversation. It's a great tool for helping you ask the correct question, but if you are unable to correctly interpret the patient's answer, it may not be of much use.

With a little knowledge of Spanish pronunciation, these cards are the perfect aide to the healthcare professional. (Note that no pronunciation guide is included and you must have a basic understanding of Spanish pronunciation and some abbreviations as well.)

In my case, the only actual part that was of any real use to me was the relatively small column of medical terms and the tests. Nevertheless, I would recommend it to other bilinguals in the case that you need to learn a few basic medical terms on the go since it does fit neatly in a shirt pocket.
44 comments27 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2009
I bought this card when i came to the US to start my residency, after I found out that not every patient speaks English. Now, after 20 months, I don't need to carry it with me anymore, since in a few months almost all words and phrases have become part of my routine. The most important benefit though, is that the communication with the Spannish speaking population has markedly improved and i feel more comfortable taking history from them.
This card has been a good tool and overall is highly reecommended, but don't expect it to be like having a translator or being able to understand everything in Spannish
on July 7, 2009
These cards are great. My only criticism is that I wish they were a tad smaller, so they would fit in my scrub pockets or the pockets of my lab coat. They are tall, so they stick out.
on July 31, 2010
well worth the money for someone who knows basic Spanish and encounters Spanish speaking patients on a somewhat regular basis.
on September 19, 2010
This is a good price, completely waterproof, very thorough, but if your eyesight is bad the writing is very small.
on March 14, 2010
my gripe with these cards has to do with my eyesight, i'm no kid and
having to reach for my reading glasses makes these much less useful
Id greatly prefer a slightly bigger size with LARGER PRINT
on September 21, 2012
Very handy and useful,a short cut for translation. This an essential translation tool,very good referance. Anyone learning either English or Spanish should have this product.
on November 25, 2008
These cards are easy to use and helpful.I do not use Spanish often enough to retain it but it is so nice to be able to help and it relaxes the patients to hear familiar words.
on January 8, 2013
These little cards have a lot of information that you can use in a pinch. Definitely not a substitute for knowing the language, but good for jogging the memory, especially on the names of those body parts that you don't use much in regular conversation.