5.0 out of 5 stars A "must have" resource for medicinal plants
Published on March 31, 2006 by Shannon C. Pable

1.0 out of 5 stars Medicinal Plants (Southern Appalachian mountains)
Excellent source book for the western sector of North Carolina, eastern Tennessee and N. Georgia. It is thorough, concise and extremely helpful whether or not you gather your herbs or purchase from a local herbalist. The chapter summaries of how/when/why to use a particular herb is a priceless treasure trove of information.
Published 23 months ago by Carol C. McCrite

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must have" resource for medicinal plants, March 31, 2006
This review is from: Medicinal Plants of the Southern Appalachians (Paperback)
Finally a book that covers the top 45 native medicinal plants of the southeast/southern Appalachians in detail...from the chemical constituents, to harvesting, to medicine preparation, and more. Being Patricia is a practicing medical herbalist, her valuable practical experience shines through. It's very well organized and easy to follow. Since it does not contain photo's of the plants, it has a handy reference to the plate number for each herb contained in Peterson's Field Guide 'Medicinal Plants and Herbs'. Since I teach classes on edible and medicinal plants of the wild in the southeast US, this book is a "must have" in my library and I will highly recommend it to my students. Great job Patricia!

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative, useful but no pictures, September 15, 2011
This review is from: Medicinal Plants of the Southern Appalachians (Paperback)
This is an informative and very useful book for anyone interested in medicinal herbs, however, there are no pictures, it is just a manual on how to make tinctures, when and how to harvest, descriptions, folklore, etc., so you will need to purchase the Peterson Field Guides eastern/ central Medicinal Plants book to go with it so that you can properly identify your plants. I live in central Georgia in the metro Atlanta area on a wooded lot and I was amazed at how many of these plants are right in my back yard! It's so fun to go out and find/ identify these plants. Great fun for the whole family, I would definitely recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Patricia's Love and Passion, April 1, 2006
This review is from: Medicinal Plants of the Southern Appalachians (Paperback)
It is so clear in this book of love how much Patricia cares and conveys her belief in Mother Earths gifts to us all. She knows how important and vital that we cradle and pass on the wisdom handed down through the ages; and how natural healing is as close to us as our back yard. This book was written for all of us who want to preserve and cherish Natures' bounty. Kathi, San Diego

5.0 out of 5 stars A great handbook for everyone, April 9, 2006
Pamela M. Winter (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medicinal Plants of the Southern Appalachians (Paperback)
You don't have to live in the southern USA or be able to harvest plants yourself in order to find this guide indispensable in managing your health and well-being. As an urban dweller, I can find these herbs sold in bulk at whole foods stores, and I also use this book to help me analyze what's included in packaged herbal formulas and teas. The extensive Therapeutic Index lets me easily look up symptoms and locate the specified herbs, and the well-organized plant chapters let me know exactly how to use the herbs once I have them. The Simple Art of Medicine Making chapter early in this book is exactly what I have been needing: at last I am clear about when and how to make an infusion versus a decoction!

5.0 out of 5 stars The "Herb Whisperer" Teaches Us How To Heal Ourselves, April 1, 2006
This review is from: Medicinal Plants of the Southern Appalachians (Paperback)
Patricia's advocacy on behalf of medicinal plants found in the Southern Appalachians is now available to everyone. These 45 native plants have been speaking to us of their willingness and availability to heal for millions of years; we just didn't understand their language. Patricia helps us reawaken this ancient knowledge. Her book leads us step by step through the process of harvesting and making some simple remedies for our own apothecaries. Formulations for teas, salves, tinctures, and syrups are easy to follow and effective. This book is my constant companion in the field and in the kitchen!

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy to understand this book, April 2, 2006
This review is from: Medicinal Plants of the Southern Appalachians (Paperback)
Usually, I am not able to follow books on how to use herbs for medicinal purposes. I love this book because it I can pick up any page and understand the benefits of the plant and exactly how to make the preparation. Super reference book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book may indeed save your life, April 22, 2006
a reader (Tucker, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medicinal Plants of the Southern Appalachians (Paperback)
The cover of Patricia Kyritsi Howell's book carries an endorsement from writer Janisse Ray, "This book may save your life." Not only does it harbor a wealth of herbal and botanical and ethnographic information that can help you learn to heal yourself--it also shows glimpses of a way of life brought back into balance, in which the keys to health are not kept in the hands of the few but given freely to anyone with a modicum of knowledge and common sense. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best herb books written!, April 4, 2006
Charlene Vogt "charliv99" (Decatur, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medicinal Plants of the Southern Appalachians (Paperback)
Patricia has a wonderful way with words that allows her to explain things that may seem confusing in a wonderfully clear and succinct manner. She includes hard science with her obvious love of the plants. Her knowledge is impeccable, her sense of humor is a joy, her passion is obvious. Thanks so much for writing this book for us lovers of the Appalachians!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent reference, April 19, 2006
Fatina Bisat "Tina" (Macon, GA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medicinal Plants of the Southern Appalachians (Paperback)
I find myself using this book as a reference quite often. It is very user friendly both to the beginer and experienced herbalist. Valuable information about the habitat, key actions , traditional and current uses, harvesting tips and medicinal preperations of the herb are right there I highly recommend it .

5.0 out of 5 stars CERTAIN to BECOME a CLASSIC REFERENCE BOOK!!!, April 1, 2006
DALE O'BRIEN (ex-Georgia resident) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Medicinal Plants of the Southern Appalachians (Paperback)
Value the idea of the healing powers of Nature around you? Clueless about where to learn "how to" benefit from specific plants all around you? Look no further!

Medicinal Plants of the Southern Appalachians
Medicinal Plants of the Southern Appalachians by Patricia Kyritsi Howell (Paperback - January 19, 2006)
$19.95 $18.01
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.