Showing 1-10 of 169 reviews(2 star)show all reviews
So I decided to try this pillow in my hunt to find the "perfect" sleeping experience. I've gotten it down to a science now. Unfortunately everyone's physiology is different. Different body shapes, different heights, different bone densities, different musculatures, etc. So no one answer will work for everyone.

This pillow has a gimmick. That gimmick is to try and use a water bladder inside to add a firm bottom to an otherwise soft and puffy pillow, but with at least some "give" for the purposes of comfort. This is key, because some people tolerate certain pillows differently than others. My neck does not like a pillow that's too firm; my head does not like a pillow that's too soft. I've tried them all: feather/down, cloth, buck, memory foam...none of them seem to make much difference. I do have a pillow I bought on here ages-odd ago...Sleep Better Iso-Cool Memory Foam Pillow, Gusseted Side Sleeper, which is actually the most comfortable that I have ever used, primarily for its heat absorption capabilities. However it's too thin. I'm forced to add a more firm pillow underneath it so that my head doesn't sink down and cause pressure one way or another on my neck.

In comes the Mediflow. In theory, the water bladder should suffice as an alternative to this quandry by adding the firmness layer. In concept it seems like a good idea, but it's not well executed, and most of it has to do with the construction of the pillow itself. The fiber is not the best choice to have for the top of the pillow, because you sink way too far in. The bladder is not big enough to offset this, it's a fairly thin layer across the bottom of the pillow even if you go to the maximum fill. The bladder is just not big enough. It really should occupy at least half of the pillow in order for the fiber not to sink your head too far down. If they combined the materialin the Iso-Cool with the bladder of this one, you might actually have a great product, but as it is, this one sinks (pun intended).

TO put it in perspective, I slept on this pillow two nights in a row. The first day I woke up with a stiff neck. I assumed my neck was adjusting to the new pillow. The second day I was in absolute pain, having to rub my neck almost every 30 minutes because it just hurt so bad. I then put the Mediflow on top of my old trusty firm pillow last night. Today I have no pain, which seems to indicate my theory is accurate - it needs more bladder and less fiber to balance things out. There's not enough firm and too much soft, in other words.

I want to caveat my review by stating that I am a side sleeper. I can sleep on my back but it's not comfortable at all. If I do it's because I rolled there from a side position just before waking up. Side sleep is the most comfortable for me, and this pillow doesn't make it work for side sleepers.

Basically, if you use two pillows, this pillow won't replace both. You're likely to need a firm one under this one, then it might work for you.
If you prefer firmer pillows, this pillow will fail you.
If you prefer soft pillows this pillow will do you just fine, but then you defeat the purpose of buying it (the waterbase).
If you're a side sleeper I don't recommend this pillow without a firm one underneath.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 29, 2006
I sure looked like a good thing. But no matter how much water I put in it, it was still sorta creepy. If you like the feel of a waterbed, you might like it, but I felt like my head was floating rather than having nice, firm support. I have neck/arm problems and need a pillow that will hold its shape. I tried it for a week, readjusting water level each night, then gave up. I might try it without any water in it, but that would defeat its purpose. Delivery was very good, so I don't blame the vendor at all.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 30, 2007
Like many of the other reviewers I've tried a lot of pillows looking for comfort. I read the reviews and was sure this pillow would be perfect. It was soooo hard. I tried all water levels and even with less than a liter of water the pillow just wouldn't soften up. (With the 1/2 the maximum water level my head was bent forward, which is okay for reading, but not sleeping.) I like the idea and would try it again if someone came out with a softer down version. My husband thinks it's okay, not the best he's slept on, but he would use it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 17, 2010
I really, really wanted to find the same bliss using this pillow that so many others have raved about... but, alas, it was not to be. I wanted a firm pillow, which requires you to fill the pillow's water bladder almost all the way up. The result was a pillow that was still way too soft, and that weighs so much that it leaves an indention in our new mattress. Seriously, I have never slept on a pillow that weighed 20lbs. before! I like to sleep with my arm under my pillow, usually. Waking up with my hand purple from lack of blood flow was not much fun. The weight of the pillow sinks our firm mattress down so much that I had to put a thick pillow under this one in order to get it the right height for me to be able to sleep.

It is very cool to sleep on, which is a big plus, but about the only true plus that I am able to give after over a month of trying to like this pillow. If you need a firm pillow, I would not recommend this pillow. Foam provides far greater support and weighs a fraction of what this pillow does when filled with enough water to be considered "firm". I know that many people love these pillows, and I really hoped I would be one of them. On the up side, my dog is getting a new water bed out of this.
on November 7, 2010
I've been using the Mediflow pillow for decades now. In the past, this pillow has really helped reduce neck pain I had in the morning. Unfortunately, it appears that this pillow has been redesigned. It is now much more fill and much less water. I am getting neck pain again in the morning. I wish the company had stayed with the prior design.
on July 22, 2013
I bought two of these pillows, hoping they might help my husband and I sleep better through the night. I believed the science and the research studies, and went ahead and made my purchase.

After just two nights sleep with this pillow, both my husband and I began to complain about shoulder and neck pain. Both of us had had prior injuries that seemed to have been alleviated just with time...until we started sleeping on these pillows.

When my husband began complaining I didn't immediately make the connection to my sudden neck and shoulder pain...I presumed I pulled a muscle at the gym, and found it difficult to believe this product may have had something to do with what we were both going through.

We decided to sleep on our old pillows and see if the pain subsided. Within 48 hours our neck and shoulder pains were gone once more.

I am so sorry to say that we were both unhappy with these pillows, but that is the case.

I am reviewing it only in the hopes that my review might help someone else who had prior neck or shoulder issues who was contemplating buying these pillows. Unfortunately from my experience, its probably not a good idea.

Also--its not as easy as it sounds to fill this pillow up with water.

It's a great concept--but not practical, from our experience for anyone who has neck or shoulder pain issues.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 24, 2012
First I got one that leaked a little. This was fully resolved with a replacement pillow that did not leak. I read that other people have gotten leakers too. So be careful with your packaging. You want to keep it in perfect condition in the event you need to send it back.

I have had neck and shoulder sleeping pain for decades and have tried all kinds of standard and orthopedic pillows trying to get relief. The usual experience is that a new type pillow will be nice for a night or two but then the pain comes back. I was encouraged by the reviews and the study the manufacturer quotes, and obviously this pillow has been reported to be excellent by a great many reviewers, so a lot of people have gotten a good result with it.

I tried it for several nights using various levels of water fill, as suggested. It simply didn't work for me, that's all I can say. The pain came back right away. Maybe it will work for you.

After trying the Mediflow I was telling a friend of my experience with pain and pillows he suggested a natural buckwheat pillow, and to make sure to get a zippered one so I can add or remove buckwheat to achieve the level of fill that works for me. I did get one and did have to adjust the fill level but I have been living with a buckwheat pillow for weeks now, pain free for the first time in probably 25 years. Finally I have a pillow that works for me.

I don't want to dissuade someone from trying a Mediflow. Perhaps it will be wonderful for another person. I can only write my own experience.
on June 21, 2011
I bought three of these pillows, the first one in January for myself, the second one in February for my sister, and the third one in March for my husband. I bought the one for myself because of constant neck pain. It took a week or so to get the water level just right, but as soon as I did, it was wonderful. Then I purchased the one for my sister and then for my husband because I thought it was great. Then, in early June, I started having to mess around with the water levels again, this time for both my husband and myself. After several tries, I realized that it wasn't the water level that was the problem, it was the actual stuffing in the top part of the pillow that seemed like it was breaking down and the more we tried to maneuver and manipulate it back into place, the more it would not stay in place. So, I am very disappointed that while in the beginning, I thought it was an answer to my prayers for my neck pain, I feel like it should have lasted longer for the price I paid.
on January 5, 2012
My husband actually purchased this for me after my Temperpedic Pillow stopped cutting it for me. He said that the reviews were pretty positive on this product, so I was feeling pretty optimistic about trying it. I liked the idea that you can adjust this pillow to your comfort. I tried this pillow for a little over a week, but found little success. I followed all the recommended steps like trying to empty out as much air as possible and trying different levels of water, but couldn't find it comfortable no matter what I did.

I was not a fan of how heavy the pillow was with all the water. Especially since I sometimes sleep on my side and put my arm under the pillow. I feel like the construction of the pillow is pretty decent, there were no leaks of any kind, but bottom line is that I couldn't get a restful sleep with this product.
on August 22, 2013
It has been six months since I purchased it and I am tired of the weight, sloshing noise, and plastic filler spout on the bottom so you have to use the pillow one side up only. I also find the water warms and I prefer a cool pillow. Some might like it as it immediately conforms to your body. After trying all different water quantities, I have given up and will try another type.