5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Perfect Beginning To Meditation!
I have been a practicing Yogi for many years and have a library full of books, videos, tapes and CD's on Yoga, meditation, sprituality and the like.

This program by Jack Kornfield (available as a video as well as audio) is the best single place I can think of starting from if you want to begin a meditation practice..

Jack Kornfield is a perfect...
Published on November 14, 2004 by CPTScott

3.0 out of 5 stars the book is the best part
Published on April 24, 2008 by MD CNM

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Perfect Beginning To Meditation!, November 14, 2004

Jack Kornfield is a perfect teacher of meditation, especially for Westerners because he approaches it in a non-sectarian way. He gets to the heart of the practice, uses clear explanations and stories to give the listener/viewer some sense of the depth of the practice. He leads the meditations in a way that gives enough guidance without becoming a distraction. He also has a very soothing voice which enhances the overall experience of the program.

The program starts with the most basic form of meditation on the breath, and leads through ever slightly more subtle forms of Vipassana Meditation.

Very Highly Recommended!

Some other related meditation programs I would highly recommend are: Plum Village Meditations w/ Thich Nhat Hanh and Sister Jina which are guided Meditations. I have been using this tape for about 7 years daily. I use it during the day prior to lunch to renew myself for the rest of the day.

Stephen Cope's "Yoga For Emotional Flow" which has 2 CD's, the 1st CD is about Yoga Philosophy and the 2nd has guided practices which I find very helpful in my life. Also check out his book "Yoga and The Quest for the True Self" which is contains the ideas of the 1st CD in an in depth manner, one of the best books I've ever read (and I'm re-reading it for the 3rd time).

Jack Kornfield has many other wonderful books and audio programs in the "Sounds True" catalogue which are wonderful, one is a more in depth series (6 tapes) on meditation called "The Inner Art Of Meditation".

Jon Kabot-Zinn is a wonderful teacher as well. See his "Meditation for Optimum Health w/ Andrew Weil, as well as Andrew Weils audio, "Breathing, the Master Key To Healing" which is very much related to meditation, these are guided breathing (pranayama) exercises plus an in depth explanation as to the benefits of breath work.

Namaste

4.0 out of 5 stars Non-intimidating introduction for people who never meditated, March 20, 2006
I like this DVD because it's a good introduction for people who have never meditated and for people who might not be the typical audience for such topics.

Jack Kornfield was a monk in Thailand, but is also a Western clinical psychologist. He approaches introducing people to meditation very gently and from a practical standpoint. While it is clear he is committed to a Buddhist path, he presents meditation in an unbiased, impartial and often humorous manner.

While the guided meditations aren't particularly long or deep, they give the listener a good taste of what meditation is about without making it seem esoteric. There are also some very nice stories on the DVD, which is worth getting just for this reason.

Something that distracts from the DVD is the timing and volume of bells sounding. Here and there this is bordering on corny, but I didn't find it a problem in any MAJOR way. It doesn't change the credibility of the core message or value of the instruction.

The biggest strength of this DVD is Jack Kornfield's ability to tell stories and use powerful analogies. For example, he compares "training the attention" to house breaking a puppy! He says, you gently bring the attention back to the breath as you would bring a puppy back to a newspaper and you do this over and over again patiently. You don't kick or beat the puppy and you don't judge yourself for letting your mind wander! I found this to be a very clever and useful analogy.

In my opinion, this is not Jack Kornfield's best work. However, it's a good resource for a lot of people. My favorite Jack Kornfield book is "A Path with Heart" and my favorite recorded material is your "Buddha Nature." However, I still enjoy listening to this DVD and often recommend it to beginning meditators.

If you want deeper material on meditation, try Breath by Breath by Rosenberg. This is my favorite introductory book on meditation for Westerners. If you want a recording that has more depth, then Insight Meditation by Sharon Salzberg and Joseph Goldstein is pretty good and has quite a bit of detail.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Meditation, October 24, 2006
"The first session of meditation practice is a beginning like the beginning of any art form. Like any other art form, the art of meditation takes some time to practice." ~ Jack Kornfield

Meditation for Beginners truly is perfect for anyone who is just starting to meditate because it includes a Guided Meditation CD. The book introduces you to why meditation is a good idea, how to connect with the breath and how to cultivate a daily meditation practice.

The CD has sections for connecting with your breath, working with sensations that arise in the body, dealing with feelings and emotions, and observing your thoughts. The last two sections include a Forgiveness (7:13) and Lovingkindness (10:50) Meditation.

Jack Kornfield studied in monasteries in Thailand and trained as a Buddhist monk in Thailand and India.

As I listened to Jack Kornfield's beautiful voice, I was able to relax more fully and fall into the meditation in the moments of silence. You may lose track of time and just enjoy having Jack guide you through the various meditation practices.

Sometimes it is relaxing to release all your awareness of the moment-to-moment stresses of life and to truly find that place of peace where your body can heal. By listening to a guided meditation session you surrender into the moment and can feel a sense of joy rising from within where true happiness is born.

I remember the first time I tried to meditate and how restless I felt. Now years later, meditation is something I can appreciate for its intrinsic beauty and revelatory nature. If you find you are feeling especially restless, try exercising before meditating or doing a yoga routine right before the guided sessions.

~The Rebecca Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Kwan Yin Society highly recommends these tapes..., June 10, 1999
By A Customer
Jack Kornfield is perhaps the most gifted meditation teacher in the West. His humor, compassion, clarity and insight make this tape series a life-long treasure. Perfect for anyone who is new to meditation or who wantsmore peace and compassion to stream from the heart.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compared to John Kabat-Zinn's Mindfulness for Beginners., April 6, 2011
Joel Shiver "Rivertripper" (Royston, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
Kornfield's Meditation for Beginners places more emphasis on the spirituality of mindfulness. My thought is that the practice of mindfulness will deepen one's spirituality. It's the direction of the causal arrow. I pursue mindfulness because of its practical applicability to my daily life. As a consequence, my spirituality is deepened. This is opposed to the causal arrow going the other way: I want to deepen my spirituality and took up Buddhist practices, and got the practical benefits of mindful meditation as a consequence. It's the same door, I suppose, but it's how the door looks, say, to a devout Christian. One looks like the door to a tool shed, the other looks like a forbidden door to to some alien mysticism. Thinking that a Christian will find the first door less intimidating or threatening, I prefer to turn my Christian friends onto the benefits of mindful mediation by handing them John Kabat-Zinn's Mindfulness for Beginners cd and saying, "This will make you a better Christian," which it will. Jack Kornfield's approach injects a little more of the spiritual aspect up front. He tells of a cartoon he saw one time where this fellow was walking down the sidewalk with a sandwich board which said, "Jesus is coming soon." There was a little fellow behind him with a sign that said, "Buddha here now." My Christian friends would find that offensive and they would turn away from mindfulness because of its being a perceived threat to their spirituality.

I had been looking for a way to explain mindful meditation to my deeply religious friends, who, here in the southeast, tend to put up a wall against anything they think may be asking them to challenge their faith in the Lord. Of course, one cannot speak of mindfulness meditation without mentioning the Buddha, and Kabat-Zinn does so by placing him in the context of the great thinkers, e.g., Einstein, Newton, who have innovated ideas of such profundity that they dramatically altered our understanding of what's going on here. Kabat-Zinn's is a wonderful cd for that. However, it is based significantly in an intellectual discussion and requires full attention and replaying it over and over to understand everything he is saying here. In that regard, that was exactly what I had been looking for, and I prefer it to Jack Kornfield's Meditation for Beginners.

Whereas Kornfield comes to it from his training as a Buddhist monk, Kabat-Zinn comes at it from his training as a scientist. If you prefer the more spiritual approach, then go with Kornfield. If you prefer the more intellectual approach, go with Kabat-Zinn. By using these terms to describe the different approaches, by no means do I disparage either one. I understand that by my stating my preference for Kabat-Zinn, it could feel as if I am speaking against Kornfield. I am not. They both lead to the same place, and both will be very very good at helping you get there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Meditation tape, August 25, 2002
By A Customer
After reading "A Path with Heart" by Jack Kornfield, I found his audio tape to be very informative. If you are having doubts about how to pursue meditation and spiritual life, I would highly recommend this audio. I can never listen to it too often. Jack has a wonderful way of getting his point across.

3.0 out of 5 stars the book is the best part, April 24, 2008
I just got this book with the included CD tonight. When I was looking at this item I told myself that the CD should be thought of as a 'bonus'. I'm glad I did. The book reads nicely and cuts right to the chase about how to begin meditation and build your own practice. The CD, however, is anything but soothing. This man's voice is loud and unsettling. He might as well be giving instructions on how to pull your own teeth. The silence is the best part. The book is worth it though. I looked at a lot of other texts, that basically took 200-300 plus pages to discuss meditation including history, different methods, and a little on how to begin a practice. I'm pleased overall. I just won't be using the CD that often, if ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT meditation intro!!, July 11, 2006
This book & CD combo got me started meditating and I believe could be helpful for mediators of all levels. In this book & guided meditation CD, Jack Kornfield guides the listener through several different types of mediations and different areas to focus ones attention. I find it especially useful to read some of the theory behind the mediation (in the book) and then put the theory into practice with the guided CD. This book and CD had the right amount of information for me to start out, not too much to overwhelm me but enough to give a foundation for understanding. Also, for me, Jack Kornfield, does a wonderful job of integrating eastern wisdom into the (crazy) western lifestyle.

If you want to get started meditating, I highly recommend this wonderful primer!

5.0 out of 5 stars RangerRob's Meditation, October 23, 2011
My partner and I are neophytes to meditation. This CD came highly recommended by a friend who has been meditating for years.
Kornfield leads through the process in a very comforting manner. His advice on how to stop "outside thought" enroaching was amazingly valuable - so simple and yet so effective!

5.0 out of 5 stars Start Here!, November 9, 2006
Jack Kornfield is a great way to begin your journey of meditation. He is a calming and informed voice. I had many "ah-ha" moments listening to his work. I highly recommend it.

Meditation for Beginners
Meditation for Beginners by Jack Kornfield (Paperback - August 1, 2008)
$14.95 $13.18