4.0 out of 5 stars "...now close the book"
Published on October 23, 2002 by roxx33

2.0 out of 5 stars When she says beginners, she means beginners.
Published on March 30, 2005 by KJ Colleen

4.0 out of 5 stars "...now close the book", October 23, 2002
"roxx33" (Boise, ID United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meditation for Beginners: Techniques for Awareness, Mindfulness & Relaxation (For Beginners (Llewellyn's)) (Paperback)
This isn't my way of telling you not to read the book. Meditation for Beginners is the only title that I've seen that tells you "read through the exercise, then close the book." Since I am not one long on patience, or someone who follows directions all that well, this advice is perfect for me. If you're new to meditation, you will soon learn that it isn't just the stereotype of chanting "om" in the most uncomfortable position possible. This book shows several types of meditation, such as using walking, mantras, cards, and dreams. Easily distracted? It's okay, part of meditation can be "thinking about thinking." Find the right posture and breathing that works best for you. Should your eyes be opened or closed? Many options are explored to help you find the best possible experience. Meditation for Beginners teaches you how to lock on to inner awareness, even if your thoughts show you being aware of nothing but distraction. This book will encourage you to move to the next levels of relaxation so you can ultimately reach a point of peace and visualization, it will surely lower your blood pressure.

2.0 out of 5 stars When she says beginners, she means beginners., March 30, 2005
KJ Colleen (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
I was dissapointed with this book, because it was exactly what I was trying to avoid. Clement falls into the same trap as so many other authors - they tell you when to meditate, why to meditate, who meditates - but never gives a good explanation on HOW to meditate. She never quite gets to the meat and potatoes of meditation. This is a good book to read if you've never heard of meditation - not one article, not one example of the experience - an absolute beginner. Otherwise, throw this junk aside. There are better, more complete guides available (such as "The Best Guide to Meditation" by Victor Davich).

5.0 out of 5 stars great book on meditation, January 20, 2004
Naveen Garg "tinkumd" (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This book makes you curious about meditation and then makes it easy for you to do it by giving very simple instructions.
The quote from frost's poem "mending wall" in this book is a great motivator to question yourself how meditation might make you think in new ways.
It also gives you examples from every day activities that are similar to its ideas of meditation. But it clarifies watching tv is not meditation, neither is highway hypnosis. It gives you techniques to make you more self aware when involved in these tasks. It also teaches you to concentrate when your mind wanders.
Easily one of the most efficient self help books available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Message from the Author, November 5, 2012
Since I wrote Meditation for Beginners, I have been so excited to see it translated into languages from around the globe. My intention was to develop a book that helps people try meditation without making a commitment to some unknown regimen or dogma. Each chapter in the book encourages you to try something and then decide if it works for you. You may discover that you already have activities that involve meditative practices -- you may not be a raw beginner at all!

The English book has gone through three covers, but retains the original interior design, which I found to be user-friendly from the beginning. Now you can carry it around on your electronic device and have it handy when you travel. The chapters are short enough to read and digest in one sitting, yet you may find yourself returning to your favorites again and again.

Happy reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Introduction to meditiation, September 17, 2010
This is a fantastic book. The reviews here aren't doing this little gem justice by any means. I've read several meditation books, and this one synthesizes the ideas of meditation beautifully and simply. Whether you are completely new to meditation, or have some hours of practice under your belt, you will find insight and clear information in this book.

Stephanie has a gentle, logical approach to the practice, ideas, and benefits of meditation. She clearly explains what meditation is, what it isn't and the various types. She moves slowly, but keeps your interest and provides exercises to do before moving on. It's a great course on meditation, an easy, worthwhile read, and definitely worth the price, as it the ideas and methods within will change your life if you practice them.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, I would recommend it to others., June 30, 2014
A good read, I would recommend it to others. Any one can write about a subject, and make it sound good, but only those who actually put into practice what they are writing about can give true insight, and details into the various styles of the many different cultures that practice the this subject. It was nice to see not only the basic concept presented, but the differing points of view, and practices being thoroughly explained, without bias.

5.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all!, May 19, 2014
QMom (Tucson, AZ) - See all my reviews
I checked out this book from my library before adding it to my wish list. I can't say enough good things about this book! I have tried meditation on and off for years, never quite getting a feel for it. I found that the 'industry leaders' all made meditation too complicated, requiring too much time and tailoring their techniques for someone with a natural disposition for meditation. That's not me!
The author brought meditation right down to my level. As a side note, my level means a busy mom with a 2 1/2 year old in the midst of completing renovations to our house in order to move across the country on a tight timeline and husband in a 12-14 hour a day job. In the midst of all of this, the author brought easy, meaningful meditative practice into my every day life.
There are some sections of the book that can be interpreted as lacking to someone with more meditation experience and that's ok. This title is Meditation for Beginners, after all. For example, the chapter on Meditation and Yoga provides only a brief overview of several types of yoga that I have never heard of and not enough information for me to really understand each type. However, this section if not meant to teach the reader how to do yoga, and the reader can easily go online to find more information on each type.
The real point of the book is to get the reader meditating quickly and regularly, and the author succeeds from the first chapter. I wish I had found this book years ago. What a relief it is to finally have a quiet mind!

5.0 out of 5 stars Meditation for Beginners, February 16, 2014
This book was a gift to someone who was interested in learning Meditation. I just skimmed thru the book before
sending it out to her but this book appeared to be very good for anyone attempting to start relaxing and continuing
on to meditation. I understand the person I sent the book to found it easy to read and easy to start meditatiing.

5.0 out of 5 stars review, July 6, 2013
sent it to my son in prison to help him with the stress of not being attacked everyday while incarcerated very helpful

5.0 out of 5 stars Meditation, July 11, 2013
Sherry Ouart "Sherry" (ANNAWAN, ILLINOIS, US) - See all my reviews
Hoping to learn from this book. I need to relax, let my soul and mind wander. Hope to read it soon!

$13.95 $11.79