Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Meditation Made Easy
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 17, 1998
So many meditation books are trapped in the eastern traditions which they come from that it is difficult for an atheist like myself to get past all of the superficial trappings in order to gain anything from them. This book is different from any other meditation book I have ever read. The author is smart enough to realize that the trappings are unnecessary. He also presents a new side to meditation by explaining that meditation is a wonderfully sensual experience to be enjoyed for its own sake. I like this book a lot. I have been reading it a few pages at a time and enjoying it very much. If you are looking for a book on how to meditate which is very friendly to Westerners and the non-religious, this is very good.
on February 14, 2000
best book? big claim, i know. but then again i've read several of 'em, tried several of 'em, and you know what? they all failed to convey the sheer joy of meditation. not this book, however. not by a long way. within a couple of days of merely starting the book i was craving my next meditation session. craving it. and enjoying it way way beyond what i had come to expect. meditation is not hard work. it's not work at all. this book has such a wonderful attitude. is useful. and totally indispensible. thank you, lorin.
on October 5, 2002
Is it possible to write a fun, easy, yet technically brilliant meditation book? After reading, "Meditation Made Easy," the answer is a simple and a resounding, "Yes."
Roche has pulled off something amazing here: simple, powerful guidance COMBINED WITH elegant, common-sense sophistication. (Which brings to mind that wonderful aphorism, "There's nothing common about common sense.")
In other words, there's a precision to Roche's description of meditation techniques that far surpasses other writers and meditation teachers. The language he uses is irresistible; it becomes part of your thinking, spicing and invigorating your own personal meditation, and � this is the point � MAKING IT YOUR OWN.
The beauty of "Meditation Made Easy" is that Roche relates his points to everyday, earthy experience, so that they seem obvious. But they weren't obvious until he pointed them out.
Reading his book with pen in hand, you'll experience over and over those "Aha!" moments of clarity: "Aha! I finally get it! That's how it is for me. Funny I never saw it that way until now ..."
You won't be the only one getting it.
Meditators are finally catching on to Roche. Not to mention meditation (and yoga) teachers.
Over the last couple of years, especially, I've seen Roche's words on the instinctive naturalness and subtle sensuality of meditation, come into use by other writers. (Who else is making meditation this fun, this healthy, and this sexy?)
Keep your (third) eye on Lorin Roche. Grab this book today.
on March 21, 2004
I learned more about meditation from the introduction of this book than I did in the dozens of books I previously read. Mr. Roche debunks all of the myths that have built up around meditation. He teaches about all of the things you do now that cause you experience meditative awareness; listening to music that you love, drifting slowly awake for a few moments before opening your eyes, makeing love or being so in love that your heart seems to turn to light. Achieving moments like these are the goal of meditation and Mr. Roche tells you how to do it easily.
I've been trying to meditate for over twenty years. I had given up and convinced myself that I was one of those people who couldn't do it because I could never quiet my thoughts. I'm meditating every day now and I love it. I'm not trying to control or stop my thoughts anymore. I don't want to try and tell more because I'd just be paraphrasing the book and it's too good a book for that. I'd be doing it a disservice.
Believe me this is a whole new take on meditation, it works and it is easy.
Just get this book!
on April 11, 2009
Meditation Made Easy was very well written, organized and with both humor and clear examples of how to meditate. The problem I had with the book was how Mr. Roche continually made it seem like we were already meditating by many of the things we do in our everyday lives----such as daydreaming or contemplation. I think there is some truth to what he says, but too often he made it sound like no effort is needed to meditate. From 30 years of various forms of meditation I know that in fact it does take effort----a lot of effort. However, in Mr. Roche's defense, I think what he had to say, overall, will enable those who are interested in meditation to at least get started.
on August 21, 2001
It seems almost churlish to point out some nits, but a better editor would have caught the confusion between "palate" and "palette"; the claim about onomatopoeic nature of Sanskrit seems dubious: "shanti" does not sound more peaceful to my ear than English "peace", or Russian "mir"; and "ma" as the sound of the feminine is not the universal "primordial" - just Indo-European. Finally, some people may look in vain for a cookbook or week-by-week guide - a simple one might have been helpful. But, all in all, we are dealing with a wonderful life-affirming book of the genre, a delight to read even for non-meditators.
on October 22, 2003
This book made meditation easy for me. Other authors I've read inevitably included meditation instructions that Roche would categorize as "Odious Rules". Their instructions only made meditation more difficult, eventually turning it into a chore. Roche aims to make meditation joyful and effortless, and in my opinion he succeeds. He encourages you to do whatever works, and he assumes you will experiment with many different types of meditation.
His style reflects this, as well; the book is unpretentious and down-to-earth. I found it easy to read and absorb what Roche was saying. This is a practical guide and reference manual that will serve me well for many years to come.
If you are looking for specific guided meditations, this is probably not the book for you. In line with his "whatever works" philosophy, the author refrains from leading the reader down any one path. I find this to be one of the book's great strengths, but others may find fault with this approach.
on April 10, 2013
The book does what is says. It makes meditation easy. A bit too easy though.

Yes. You will get benefits from becoming aware and being mindful of your thoughts and actions. However, there are great benefits to deeper meditation practices. The author seems to be a bit scared to practice deeper meditations. He remains on the outer fringes of his meditation practice and either subconsciously or consciously advises readers to do the same. He states that it is a myth to think you have to empty your mind in meditation. While you don't have to empty it, you will benefit greatly from your meditation practice if you do try this deeper meditation. He warns readers they will loose their vitality if they give up or distance themselves from their desires and ego in meditation. Do not be scared. You will not loose your vitality. You just won't be thinking about other things, like s e x, when you are writing a book on meditation like this author is.

It's one of those books in which the author makes an assumption, in this case that readers thing meditation will be difficult and will have great trouble being motivated to meditate, and spends most of the book lecturing about how easy meditation is when all I'm interested in are the techniques.

His Going Deeper section isn't about going deeper into meditation, it's about his going deeper into the details about developing awareness and mindful in daily life.
on December 17, 2015
Aha! This is a book that is so affirming of what we already know on some level. It's not overly gushy but still has depth in its ideas of self-betterment and meditation. I oooohhh and ahhhh often discovering clever new insights and ideas or affirming distant ones I had. That is usually the sign of a master at work. It's that feeling of being next to whoever wrote it, and they are smart and cool and just get it, while imparting information to you in such a trusted, clean way. It's good stuff. And easily for the novice or expert meditators.I am a fan and that doesn't come too easily.
on August 23, 2001
I will join the chorus of admirers: Roche doesn't just make meditation easy, he makes it alluring and sexy. Others may stress the benefits to spiritual growth and shaping of personality, but one of the best reasons to do something is because you, quite simply, like it. And the book isn't merely great PR for meditation; I found the advice sound and very helpful, and the author's knowledge of human (well, particularly North American, particularly Californian:-) nature - profound. It seems almost churlish to point out some nits, but a better editor would have caught the confusion between "palate" and "palette"; the claim about onomatopoeic nature of Sanskrit seems dubious: "shanti" does not sound more peaceful to my ear than English "peace", or Russian "mir"; and "ma" as the sound for the feminine is not the universal "primordial" - just Indo-European. Finally, some people may look in vain for a cookbook or week-by-week guide - a simple one might have been helpful. But, all in all, we are dealing with a wonderful life-affirming book of the genre.