5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Wanted
Published on December 21, 2012 by - A

1.0 out of 5 stars Need proofreader
I've read a few translations over the years...this one really needs work. It became laborious to try and follow the text because of gaps, misspellings, typos, etc. A translation should facilitate understanding by persons whose native language is English. This does not.
Published 10 months ago by Susan W. Harrell

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Wanted, December 21, 2012
This review is from: Meditations (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of Marcus Aurelius, I knew he was a very wise and intellectual man, the last of the 5 good emperors, but I wanted to know more about him. When I heard about a book comprised of his personal writings from when he was still alive, I knew I had to get it. There is an introduction that talks about Marcus and his life, before you get into his actual "meditations". It's great because even if you don't know who he is, you get his life in a nutshell, it gives a good background to the rest of the book.

I would definitely recommend this to any reader!

1.0 out of 5 stars Need proofreader, February 11, 2014
Susan W. Harrell (Pensacola, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meditations (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, Hard to Read at Times but Understandable with a Classic, February 22, 2013
This review is from: Meditations (Paperback)
I wanted to learn more about Marcus Aurelius and see his view of things millenia ago. It was hard to follow various figures and stories sometimes. Could have used a few pictures!

3.0 out of 5 stars Free Online from Project Gutenberg, September 17, 2013
C. Sun (Bellevue, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meditations (Paperback)
This work bears an uncannily strong resemblance to the free online version available at Project Gutenberg. With the exception that the formatting at Project Gutenberg is better. In this printed edition, too often have I seen the sections/numbers improperly separated (i.e. no carriage returns). The glossary is also poorly formatted. Furthermore, the indentations at the beginning of paragraphs are almost imperceptible. Finally, the text is very small when compared to the page width resulting in very long, thin lines that when compounded with the single spacing makes reading difficult. Mispellings, bad syntax, etc.... The editor really dropped the ball with this one.

Personally, I like the old-timey translation. I am glad to have a hardcopy of the online version. But the product itself is sub-par. I recommend investing money in another translation that is not freely available for comparison of translations.

3.0 out of 5 stars Typos in text were distracting!, September 27, 2012
This review is from: Meditations (Paperback)
Can't complain about the content of Meditations, but the number of typos was disappointing and annoying for a text like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Every Man Should Own, November 18, 2012
This review is from: Meditations (Paperback)
This book is a must read for any man trying to better his life, and that goes for women as well. Can't put it down

3.0 out of 5 stars Typos Are Glaring, May 7, 2014
This review is from: Meditations (Paperback)
I am honestly surprised that this has been mentioned so rarely in these reviews, but there are some absolutely horrendous typos in this edition.

Fair warning, I have only read the first few pages but am honestly thinking of buying a different edition to continue my read, as the typos are the worst I have ever seen. For example "This conforming of the life to nature oralogoumenwz th fusei zhn. was the Stoic idea of Virtue." (Meditations p 6). You can even see this for yourself if you use Amazon's "Look Inside" feature. I honestly hope that this is limited to the introduction and that the translation itself is better. If so I'll come back and update this review to reflect that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two words - buy it, December 19, 2013
This review is from: Meditations (Paperback)
If you're a deep thinker or search for meaning in life or are a contemplative person (or anything along those lines) this is a book to have in your library. For a collection of writings as old as these to still be relevant today says a lot about the timeless wisdom shared in these pages. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meditations, August 24, 2013
This review is from: Meditations (Paperback)
Marcus Aurelius, emperor of Rome from 161 A.D. until his death in 180 A.D., may be the closest mankind has ever come to producing the philosopher king that Plato envisioned in The Republic. His administration experienced constant turmoil, from repeated invasion by the Germanic peoples and internal strifes. In his busy official duties, he had a habit to intimately examine himself and wrote down his thought, deep emotion, and self re-proof with anorexic words. This is the "Meditations".

The works were written for an intimate audience of one, as seen in original title: " ta eis heauton". As these works were not intended for publication, they can be seen as Aurelius stripping himself of all physical and temporal difficulties to concern his mind purely and only with what is truly important. The aim of these works was to intimately examine himself, to highlight his flaws and to recognise, but not always praise, his positive qualities. The Meditations are a collection of thoughts, concepts, ideas and moral positions which Aurelius wishes to follow at all times, i.e., it is a handbook to himself on how best to live his life. Each page contains short passages of great wisdom, alongside longer paragraphs of thought that tower above the carefully crafted citadel of morality which concerns most of the work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye Opening, August 21, 2013
This review is from: Meditations (Paperback)
Simple but profound, and exactly what I needed, when I needed it. Something I will keep on my shelf for years to come.

Meditations
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (Paperback - April 4, 2012)
$10.00 $9.00
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.