5.0 out of 5 stars Consummate artistry
Published on July 2, 2011 by Rohan Pethiyagoda

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Processing
I'm always a bit wary of musicians who choose to go by a single name; it seems like an affectation -- particularly for a classical musician. ("I'm so famous, you only need my first name.") It makes me think of Zamfir or Liberace.

With this particular album, I also have a problem with how over-produced the sound is. Someone at a mixing board seems to have added...
Published 1 month ago by Redmond Geek

5.0 out of 5 stars Consummate artistry, July 2, 2011
This review is from: Mediterraneo (Audio CD)
I pre-ordered this CD because I saw it reviewed in The Economist (a newspaper that rarely reviews music). I treasure many CDs by Segovia, Williams and Bream in my collection and am familiar with most of the pieces on Milos's debut CD. So I didn't really expect anything new. Boy, was I wrong. Milos extracts an altogether refreshing tone from his instrument, and to my ear his technique and phrasing are flawless--and yet quite different from that of, for example, Bream, in the Albeniz and Granados pieces. That said the arrangement and almost meditative execution of Granados's Oriental is breathtaking. The acoustic of the Air Studio in London has an almost cathedral-like ambience; and DG's recording is demonstration quality, too, although some may find the fidelity with which the sound of the artist's breathing is transferred annoying (I did not). Mixed in with the better known pieces for guitar are ones by Domeniconi and Theodorakis, hopefully a signal that Milos will in future CDs look farther yet eastwards for his music while continuing also to dish up new interpretations of the better known repertoire. I you find your eyes welling up as you listen to this, don't say you weren't warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rising Star of Classical Guitar: Milos Karadaglic, June 21, 2011
This review is from: Mediterraneo (Audio CD)
Milos Karadaglic. Remember the name and purchase this first ever recording by this brilliant young, handsome 28 year old from Montenegro who happens to be the new miracle in classical guitar we have been waiting to hear. His personal history is fascinating - a childhood surrounded by the wars in the Balkans, his early fascination with music and his eventual final training in the Royal Academy of Music in London where Michael Lewin recognized the next great talent in guitar and has mentored him since. But enough of personal data. This CD is a tribute to the great composers for the guitar past and present, to the extraordinary talent of Milos Karadaglic (who is simply using the first name as he enters the international realm of performance), and in every way it is a startling fine debut.

One of the aspects of Milos' skill is the quiet of his fingers as they slide along the strings on the fret. Unlike many of the guitarists who have recorded (even the masters like Segovia, Bream and Williams) whose squeak as the fingers move up and down the fret could be distracting, Milos is able to travel those note changes in silence. It is uncanny. His playing is so intensely musical that even on the better known works played here he presents them afresh. The result is an album of Mediterranean music for guitar that is now the gold standard.

The works on the album include Isaac Manuel Francisco Albéniz' 'Asturias' and 'Granada', 'Sevilla'; Enrique Granados' 'Andaluza' and the haunting 'Orientale' from' Danzas españolas' (arrranged for guitar by the artist and Lewin); Francisco Tárrega's 'Lagrima', 'Adelita', 'Recuerdos de la Alhambra' and 'Capricho árabe'; a refreshingly different contemporary suite with a Turkish flavor - the 'Koyunbaba' by Carlo Domeniconi; Mikis Theodorakis' 'A Day in May', You Have Set, My Star'; Miguel Llobet's 'El testament d'Amelia'; and an anonymous baroque work 'Jeux interdits' performed with the English Chamber Orchestra. The spectrum is wide, the technique is immaculate, and the soul in these works is revealed by the very impressive Milos Karadaglic. Highly recommended. Grady Harp, June 11

5.0 out of 5 stars PLAYING FROM THE SOUL, June 22, 2011
This review is from: Mediterraneo (Audio CD)
I love the sound of the guitar. Being a Spaniard from Andalucía, perhaps it should be expected. But my passion has always been opera and baroque music and I think what I find so appealing in that instrument is the way it seems to convey more obviously than others the raw emotions of the player. It is more accessible and to my ears its sound more earthy and sensual. Of course I have admired the sublime art of Andrés Segovia and the mastery of Narciso Yepes and -in a more popular vein- Paco de Lucía. So I approached the debut album of Milos Karadaglic with curiosity and a bit of reservation. Could this handsome young newcomer bring something that I couldn't find in the old masters? Did I need another only guitar CD? Well, the answer to both questions is yes. His chosen repertory is mainly Spanish and well recorded many times over.But I find his playing both fresh and stunning. The sound he extracts from those strings are truly mind-blowing. But he is more than a mere virtuoso. His passion for the instrument since childhood seems to have created a relationship with the instrument close to lovemaking and he gives all of himself, body and soul, to each piece, although I find the first track (Asturias) particularly moving. This is an extraordinary debut album. The half hour little documentary on the DVD is quite interesting too, giving fine close-ups of his playing.

PS. Titled "Mediterráneo" instead of "The Guitar" in the US release.

5.0 out of 5 stars SWOON!!!! Guitar the way I like it, soft,warm and sexy, July 17, 2011
This review is from: Mediterraneo (Audio CD)
I am a lifelong lover of guitar, especially classical. I fell in love with Julian Bream's beautiful playing when I was in grade school, practically falling into a hypnotic trance every time the classical radio station played one of his albums. Even though there are MANY guitarists I love, I never found anyone to make me feel the way Bream does--until NOW. Now, there is MILOS. Oh. My. Goodness.

If you were lucky enough to hear his wonderful interview on Sirius Radio with Paul Bachmann, he tells about his childhood during the Balkan Civil Wars, and how he adored Segovia and flamenco in particular. He was naturally gifted, fingers moving at light speed, but when he arrived, a young music student in London, he realized that his natural gift had to be strengthened by hard work on basic, boring but essential technique. This, he did with the same intensity and the result is a scintillating sound with a warmth that I have not heard since Bream's lute-influenced tones.

This album has some delicious stuff; the astonishingly clear yet emotional Asturias of Albeniz, and even better, the subtle Oriental of Granados. What's fascinating about both these works, is that they were actually originally piano works imitating the sound of Spanish guitar. These had to be re-arranged for guitar (art imitating art?) and the Oriental sounds (Bachmann points out) as if it is played by two guitars, but Karadaglic's own arrangement is a triumph of deceptive simplicity, a clever work-out of a problem of two melodic hands melding into one. BTW, Milos'surname is pronounced, more or less, as Care-a-DODGE-lick and despite the record label's attempt to have him go by his easier first name of Milos (MIL-osh) it's good to know his last name, too, because if you are like me, you will want to hear more from this artist. He has performed the Ginastera sonata, and I can't wait for this to come out on CD. Ginastera is a 20th Century Argentinian composer who I just love.

More gems: the virtuoso Tarrega "Recuerdos del Alhambra" sounds like silver bells played impossibly swiftly, yet each tone as separate and clear as a pearl. The Jeux Interdits is emotional and warm and so soothing.

This album is probably going to have a permanent home on my MP3 player. And I can't wait to hear more from Karadaglic. So wonderful to hear a new, rising star of the guitar. I think I'm in love.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Promising Young Guitarist, July 25, 2011
This review is from: Mediterraneo (Audio CD)
Overall, I really enjoy listening to this album. He has more talent that I could ever muster in probably thirty lifetimes! That said, when it comes to the Mikis Theodorakis and Carlo Domeniconi compositions, I much prefer listening to John Williams' interpretations. It seems to me that Milos has a tendency to rush through them, not letting these pieces breath. There is a delicacy of touch that is missing that comes through on Williams' renditions. I feel John sings while Milos shouts in places.

NTL - I am highly impressed with his technical virtuosity. His playing reflects robust, youthful energy more so than delicacy and subtly of emotion. No doubt, as he matures as an artist, his playing will take on all the qualities of greatness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth and Beautiful, July 17, 2011
This review is from: Mediterraneo (Audio CD)
It's great to see someone so young, gifted, and passionate about bringing some great classics to a new generation as Milos does in this collection. As a lover of Segovia, Parkening, and others - I love the way Milos plays the guitar with great emotion and flawless precision to bring about a listening experience that is much like a wonderful glass of wine - smooth with a beautiful bouquet. I was pleasantly surprised by some of the new pieces on this CD as well. I think the more I listen to Milos the more I appreciate his unique giftedness in brining a new sound and blending it together wonderfully with the masters from the past. May his tribe and ilk increase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mediterraneo = Masterpiece, September 4, 2011
Katherine M. Phifer (Canton, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mediterraneo (Audio CD)
Milos is the best guitarist I've heard in the last 10 - 20 years. He displays a much more mature understanding of the genre than his young age should allow. The guitar is the featured instrument, not clouded with over manipulated orchestrations. A pure classical guitar sound is what I love and Milos delivered. I hope he makes another masterpiece very soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, August 23, 2011
This review is from: Mediterraneo (Audio CD)
This album is perfect for so many occasions. It is calming, romantic, lively, and intricate. I love to listen to it as a "road rage remedy" but plan to play it in the background at my next party also. Milos' skill and talent with his guitar is fantastic and this is the work of a true master. Very enjoyable and I am so glad it purchased it. I have played it over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding musicality, June 25, 2011
This review is from: Mediterráneo (MP3 Music)
I have always found guitar music soothing and calming, but have rarely been truly happy with the musicality presented on guitar albums. However, this young man shows musical maturity way beyond his age. My first love in music is opera and this album provides the same effect as an effortlessly sung beautiful aria by a superb singer. He sings his music on the guitar. I don't know how else to put it. There is so much emotion and careful attention to the line of the music and he uses the underlying accompaniment with beauty that never distracts from the musical phrase. It's simply a great album to listen to and I plan to over and over for many years to come. I can't wait for his next release. If you haven't heard this fellow, do yourself a favor and get this album right away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classical guitar is back!, June 26, 2011
This review is from: Mediterraneo (Audio CD)
There has been a recent surge of quiet anxiety in the classical music world, as the established heroes of classical guitar, Christopher Parkening and John Williams, age and enter retirement mode. Where have the all the classical guitarists gone? Who will usher the tradition into the 21st century? With the debut of this CD last week, everyone can breathe a grateful sigh of relief. This recording is nuanced, exciting, thoughtful, masterful, enchanting, and more than capable of assuaging all fears regarding the fate of classical guitar.

The music chosen for this CD reflect the Spanish-dominated preferences of the classical guitar repertoire - much of which I was only cursorily familiar. But even for the uninitiated, it is obvious how masterful these renditions are, and how talented this young man is. The sound is fluent, easy, joyous, clear, and confident.

I immediately noticed that rather than organize the album according to composer or piece, the producers (or Milos?) have chosen to present a collage of songs, somewhat irrespective of chronology or larger work. In some cases, as in Domeniconi's "Koyunbaba," the four movement piece is included in its entirety and in proper, consecutive order. In others, as in Albeniz's "Suite Espanola," only certain movements are recorded, and are split and scattered throughout the album. For my part, this speaks to a concern for the overall depth and appropriate flow of the CD, rather than a deliberately "authentic" interpretation of certain works. Doubtless there are merits to both approaches, but it is quite pleasing, as well as fitting to a debut, for the emphasis to be on overarching sound, beauty, and artistic form above all other concerns.

Well done! We certainly look forward to more from Milos.

Mediterraneo
Mediterraneo by Milos Karadaglic (Audio CD - 2011)
Rate and Discover Movies