Published on November 16, 2007 by JB-DINK

3.0 out of 5 stars A Crazy Fun-loving Future Family
Young Lewis is a curious and eccentric orphan boy who longs to be adopted and loved by a family that will accept him for who he is. Unfortunately, Lewis' keen interest in science and technology and overactive imagination seems too unusual for interested parents. When Lewis realizes that the only person who ever loved Lewis for just being himself was his mother. He decides...
Published on April 22, 2007 by tvtv3

5.0 out of 5 stars "It's the heart that really matters in the end." And this film has more heart than any movie I've seen in ages!, November 16, 2007
JB-DINK (Dayton, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meet the Robinsons (DVD)
In all my years of reading reviews and shopping on Amazon I have never been compelled to write one myself until now. Like many parents, when a new disney film comes out on dvd, I usually buy it, watch it during movie night, and forget about it by the time the credits start rolling. My daughter is five and she enjoyed it but to me, as an adult who can look back at his life and appreciate all those struggles and "twists and turns of fate" that shaped who I am, the emotional impact ressonated much deeper. I was skeptical of this film due to the fact that disney's computer animated ventures without Pixar on board have consistantly been pretty weak, but in my opinion this one can stand toe to toe with every Disney/Pixar film to date. The director, Stephen Anderson explains that his life was extremely similar to that of the main character, Lewis. The passion that he had for this project is evident in every single detail of every single frame. The musical score by Danny Elfman and the brilliantly heartfelt song "Little Wonders" by Rob Thomas fit with the theme perfectly. I've always judged movies based on the emotional response I have to them. If a movie can bring tears of sadness to my eyes, that's one thing, but if it can make me genuinely cry out of sheer happiness, well then in my book it's a winner because I am extremely critical of sappiness and what I call "emotional blackmail". I recently showed this film to a group of 30 of the most hardcore juvenile delinquents gathered from 20 different counties around Ohio and we spent an hour afterwards talking about it. I spend all day with these kids, and the way they let their guard down and opened up about their lives during our discussion was............magical. I don't see that side of them very often and I'm thankful that a "silly disney cartoon" inspired that.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Disney Film For The Geeky Kid In All of Us!!, October 27, 2007
Telemachus (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meet the Robinsons (DVD)
We saw "Meet the Robinsons" in the 3-D version at the theater and my kids laughed about it for days. Too bad they couldn't release the DVD in the 3-D version, but it's still an excellent film for children. Personally, I also loved hearing the voice of Adam West in the film.

The film is based loosely on William Joyce's, A Day with Wilbur Robinson. If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it. William Joyce ALSO was the artist behind Rolie Polie Olie series. The book is quite different from the film, but there are direct parallels. For instance, there is no orphanage theme in the original book and no Bowler Hat Guy. However, many of the other characters are present in both. Stylistically, the book and the movie have a pronounced retro- animation/cartoon feel to them. It is a very refreshing artistic style to watch and makes for a unique animated film.

The DVD contains a fairly extensive set of features, but nothing out of the ordinary. For future releases of children's videos, I'd suggest adding a reading of the original book. In the few DVD's we've purchased with this feature, it's encouraged my children to read the actual book.

I highly recommend this DVD for your child's video library. It's a film enjoyable by both adults and children. The film is funny and presents a very clear message about the need to celebrate our human differences and stresses the importance of family and friends(adopted or otherwise).

5.0 out of 5 stars Hi-Def Family Fun with a good message, October 23, 2007
This movie is a wonderful family movie with great lessons about true friendship, forgiveness,adoption, restoration, and family. But not only that it is full of clever and witty dialogue to keep the parents entertained while the colorful images and special effects keep the kids entertained. This bluray version is just as good as the film original if not better. The 1080p factor brings this film to a 3-d likeness. This is a must own if you love disney and hi-def entertainment. Dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Past, Present, and Future Weave Entertaining Flight, April 29, 2007
Evaluating `Meet the Robinsons' depends on whether you entered the theater offering 3-D glasses. Either way you receive excellent family entertainment, even if there are elements of the film you've seen before. Resembling an animated version of `Back to the Future' or `Peggy Sue Got Married,' `Meet the Robinsons' is a briskly based, nicely woven tale about belonging and achieving.

Starting we find the typical desperate mother leaving her baby on the orphanage steps. Her son Louis becomes a nervous inventor at the orphanage and a nuisance to everyone, especially his long-suffering roommate, Goob. Having an intellectual disposition doesn't help him in adoption interviews, and ingenious inventions that seldom work, don't endear him at school. Add to that a pure villain comes upon his scene, known as "Bowler Hat Man" (Whose hat makes him like a nimble, but less scary nemesis comparable to "Dr. Oct".) his life comes into disarray at science fair he's finally sure he'll win.

Using time travel well and peril and humor that truly entertain, `..Robinsons' message to always persevere and the plot's neat and heart-felt resolution will make every family member smile.

(This being my first 3-D adventure that actually worked certainly gave the movie a lift, too!)

4.0 out of 5 stars What Makes A Family A Family?, April 10, 2007
"Meet The Robinsons" is the latest computer-animated Disney fare to hit the big screen. While I found it very enjoyable and full of wonderful moments, I also found it lacking in a number of areas. I'm torn between giving this film three or four stars but, being the Disney fan that I am, I rounded my score up. The film opens with a Disney short featuring Mickey, Goofy, and Donald attempting to put a boat together. It's very funny and my young daughter really enjoyed it. From there, we are given a very somber opening to "Meet The Robinsons" where a woman leaves her son on the steps of a local orphanage. We then jump ahead twelve years to find the youngster, Lewis, attempting to perfect his latest invention. Along for the ride is his roommate, Goob, who is always tired due to Lewis' escapades and his baseball game suffers due to his lack of sleep. Lewis attempts to impress families with his inventions in hopes that it will somehow help him get adopted. The results are usually disastrous.

Knowing that he isn't getting any younger, Lewis creates an invention that he thinks will tap into his memory banks so that he can remember what his mother looks like and then seek her out. He presents his creation at the local school science fair but, as with most of his other inventions, things go awry. At the science fair he runs into a young boy name Wilbur who claims to be from the future and is tracking down the sinister "Bowler Hat Guy" who stole another time machine. From there, Lewis is whisked into the future where he runs into the Robinson family. They're a quirky bunch to say the least, but here's where my first real problem with the film is. None of the Robinsons are fully fleshed out. We are given hints as to who they are but we never really get to know them because there are just too many of them. As the rest of the story unfolds and we find out exactly why "Bowler Hat Guy" is doing what he's doing, we are left without really getting to know any of the characters except for Lewis.

My second problem with this film is that the story seems to be needle-thin and expanded over the complete running time of the film by way of overdone moments of silliness. Had the writers given us a little more depth in a few more of the characters and left out some of the sometimes boring slapstick moments that really didn't relate to the film, "Meet the Robinsons" would have been a better film.

With that said, there are many highlights that make this film worthy of multiple viewings. For one, the relationship between Lewis and the Robinsons has a number of very sentimental moments. His roommate Goob, ever depressed, also steals a few of the scenes that he is in. The T-Rex used so much in the film's trailers actually has a very brief role, but is another bright spot for the movie. The voice casting was excellent as well, with one very special voice appearance near the end of the film. There are also hints at Disneyland, Disney World, and a few inside laughs for fans of Disney. Finally, the conclusion to the film has vintage Walt Disney written (literally) all over it. I just wish the film as a whole could have kept up with its high points.

Overall, this is a very enjoyable movie that suffers from lulls in action, poor character development, and a lack of solid direction. However, it manages to hold your attention for the most part, hits you in the heart perfectly at times, and screams nostalgia at moments. It'll probably make its way to my DVD collection when it finally leaves the big screen, but you might want to check it at the movies before you decide to purchase a private copy later down the road.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully crazed, frantic and surreal with a good message, November 15, 2007
Farffleblex Plaffington (Parnybarnel, Mississippi) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meet the Robinsons (DVD)
I've mentioned this many times, but first it's important to remember that I'm biased. I don't think there's an animated Disney film that I've given less than a 10 out of 10. Heck, I give a large percentage of their live action fare a 10 out of 10, and almost never give any of their films lower than a 7 out of 10. I don't do this just because they're Disney and I'm issuing a vote to keep me in an extended, fantastical childhood (I need no assistance in maintaining an element of that, thank you); I do it because I really enjoy their work that much.

It's easy to see how many people might not care for Meet the Robinsons. It has far more in common stylistically with recent Disney films like Chicken Little (2005) and Lilo & Stitch (2002) than it does with the "classic" Disney films (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937), Cinderella (1950), etc.), or even their "second golden age" (The Lion King (1994), Beauty and the Beast (1991), etc.)--although it's worthwhile to note that some characteristics are not that far removed from Alice in Wonderland (1951) or even Pinocchio (1940), and you'll find things reminiscent of many other films--from Toy Story (1995) to Robots (2005) to Looney Tunes cartoons. It has an unusual, surrealistic flow, and it often seems like there's nowhere the animators won't go for a bit of weirdness.

But especially this latter fact is part of the charm to me. Meet the Robinsons may be adapted from the gorgeously drawn children's book, William Joyce's A Day with Wilbur Robinson (1993), but it seems just as inspired by Edward Lear's "Nonsense" books, which were some of my first favorites as a kid.

Visually, Meet the Robinsons is just as beautiful as Joyce's work. And beneath all the wonderfully frantic surrealism, which is loaded with quick, funny pop culture references, there's a great message here about creativity, experimentation, mindful experience and the necessity and acceptance of failure and rejection.

5.0 out of 5 stars The film pays homage to a number of established iconic movies..., August 24, 2007
This review is from: Meet the Robinsons (DVD)
"Meet the Robinsons" was initially based on the book by William Joyce entitled "A day with Wilbur Robinson." While Disney's movie focused on a young inventor name Lewis who specializes in innovative inventions. Lewis adventure begins when he meets Wilbur and journeys across time to avert any changes in the space time continuum.

The film pays homage to a number of established iconic movies such as Back to the Future, Star Wars, Casino, and generic Kung-Fu inspired action sequences. "Meet the Robinsons" also tackles a number to issues such as friendship, responsibility, integrity, and the importance of a family unit/parental figure in one's life.

It's a great movie and one that every family should take time out to see.

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes original Walt Disney message to heart, December 21, 2007
terpfan1980 "Barry" (Somewhere near Washington DC, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a darling little movie that I fear has been underappreciated. As others noted, it's not a Pixar film, and doesn't have the Pixar animation quality to it. It is, however, animated nicely and looked very nice on the big screen (where I had taken my family to watch it originally) and comes through beautifully on the Blu-ray format.

The Blu-ray version of this movie comes loaded with tons of extras and really pays off nicely. It is well worth adding to any collection, but is a must for Disney collectors for sure. For some fans, this might be a 5 star movie, and in my case, it's at least a 4.5 but sadly the rating system doesn't support half stars and I can't quite put this movie into the rare air of a Disney-Pixar partnership such as Toy Story and the like.

4.0 out of 5 stars AN ACTUAL REVIEW OF THE DVD!, October 10, 2007
This review is from: Meet the Robinsons (DVD)
Unlike the other 40 plus reviews on here, this one is an actual review of what you are thinking of purchasing: the DVD. I meant to see this movie in the theater but never made the time to; watching the DVD was my first opportunity. I enjoyed the movie; it was a cute tale of a boy in an orphanage who has a deep desire to find his mom, the only person he believes would want him. He's a little braniac who loves to invent things, and turns off each prospective adoptive parent (over 100 have "interviewed" him and turned him down). Through a quick series of events, he is thrust into the future and meets the Robinsons, any kid's idea of a wacky and fun family. Lewis and the Robinson's bond immediately until they discover he is from the past. You'll have to watch the movie for the rest of the story. I was not on the edge of my seat with enjoyment like I was with "The Incredibles" or "Ratatouille." At the end of watching this, I had the same feeling I did from watching "Cars." A really enjoyable film but I wouldn't rush right out to see it again. On the plus side, the characters are fantastic; animators have done a great job with Lewis and especially Booger; rather than being 3D animation shells, you really do get a sense of their sadness, happiness, and wonder. Truly amazing. The villain of the movie, Bowler Hat Man, is extremely original; even though a villain, his characterization and portrayal by the animators keeps you from despising him 100% (don't want to give the plot away so that's all I'll say). The 5.1 sound on the DVD rocks - make sure your subwoofer is on and that you are right in the center to take advantage of it. In addition, the animation is great too; so many thing to take notice of and a few inside jokes sprinkled throughout. The extras are enjoyable; the Making of Feature was divided into the usual sections (voices, music, etc.). I had never heard of the book it was based on, so it was interesting to see how it was adapted and learn about the author's intentions in writing it. The deleted scenes are only a handful, and the explanations totally make sense of why they were removed. A few enjoyable music videos, previews, and of course the obligatory game which is pretty fun. This DVD is definitely kid-friendly and would probably be really enjoyable especially for the age group that Lewis is (12), as they could relate to the struggles that he is going through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disney Reclaims its Heart, February 11, 2008
I must admit that Meet the Robinsons didn't look like a film that would appeal to me when I saw trailers, but a good friend had a desire to see it so I went. I then plopped down the coin to see it in 3D only a few days later. This is the best animated film that Disney has put out in a decade (excluding Pixar films).

The story is a great one as we witness the tale of an orphan, Louis. He's a brilliant kid, always working on an invention of some kind. Time travel high jinks ensue in a movie that is very funny in a quirky way and also very touching.

This is a film that reclaims the heart of Disney and has a message that Walt would love: Keep Moving Forward. The story of a kid finding a family touches on what family truly is while also stressing the importance of not looking backwards and dwelling in the past. It's a great message for kids and family alike - let go of bitterness and disillusion. Instead, look to the future and what you can do to make it better. Like I said Uncle Walt would have loved it.

Meet the Robinsons is also unique in its execution of the future and its sense of humor. There are tons of hilarious things that will keep you laughing over and over again.

In addition to the movie, this one has a great soundtrack. Rufus Wainwright contributes some great tunes but Rob Thomas' "Little Wonders" really is a great song about the small hours of our lives. Danny Elfman's score is fantastic as his pop song, "The Future Has Arrived", performed by the All-American Rejects as the credits roll.

The Blu-Ray of this movie is beautiful and will pull you in. Blu-Ray shows how good CGI looks these days and gives a detail not found in standard def.

Highly recommended. Watch it with the kids or not. The movie has a message that will resonate with the older and is entertaining for the younger ones, though the adults will get the most out of the message. Still, I'm sure Meet the Robinsons will encourage all viewers to Keep Moving Forward.

Meet the Robinsons
Meet the Robinsons by Stephen J. Anderson (DVD - 2007)
$19.99 $14.05