5.0 out of 5 stars A great supplement to The Shack
Published on December 14, 2011 by V. Lee Edwards

1.0 out of 5 stars The Shack
Although I got some enjoyment from this book, I was bothered by never seeing scriptural links to this story. I cannot recommend this read. However you will find good reviews and many people love it.
Published on September 18, 2012 by guster

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great supplement to The Shack, December 14, 2011
This review is from: Meeting God at the Shack: A Journey Into Spiritual Recovery (Kindle Edition)
I read The Shack and thoroughly enjoyed it, but was not sure what to do with all of the negative critiques. Young was attacked for some questionable theology, which I somewhat understood, but was not sure it was actually warranted because I wondered if the critics were missing his point. Hicks goes through The Shack and attempts to help his readers comprehend what Young was actually trying to communicate. Hicks' efforts are appreciated, and very effective.

It seems that many of the critics of The Shack misunderstand the genre of Young's work. Hicks spends time developing this concept as he discusses Young's motives, as well as Young's background and history. As Hicks points out, Young is not attempting systematic theology, but rather "an extended modern parable." With this in mind, we can set out to read the book for what it is: parabolic theology that might very well lead the reader down a path of introspection, and also closer to God.

The Shack invites the reader to be very real, and genuine: to go to places that are deep, dark, and hidden. Hicks takes that invitation a step further and more fully develops some very key elements of Young's book (e.g., Hicks' discussions on the Triune shine, gardening with God, and the Trinity). It appears obvious that Young has endured much suffering and sadness, and perhaps this is why Hicks is able to do so much with Young's work, for he too has experienced great pain, suffering, and setbacks. There is something about Hicks that is very real; he is able to empathize, and thus elaborate in ways that many cannot.

For me, The Shack was painful, yet liberating. Hicks' book was more of the same, for which I am appreciative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meeting God at the Shack: A Journey Into Spiritual Recovery, February 10, 2012
This is a great pt. 2 to the Shack. I love both books. Awesome.If you want an inspiring read. This and The Sack are the really best ones,especially if you are a new Christian. It is even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meeting God at the Shack, April 28, 2012
I found this version explaining "The Shack", very informative. I disagree with all the negetive comments on The Shack". This book helps with its take on spirituality. We all need enlightenment in plain terms. These stories help get us thinking more about our life after passing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, December 29, 2012
I would recommend this book to anyone who has previously read The Shack; it has some great insight & helpful quotes that are worth highlighting for review again & again. It reminds us how much God loves all of us - everything about us; God created us and wants a relationship with us.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've read The Shack, this is another must read!, November 8, 2012
I read The Shack when it first came out and lead a book discussion about it, I wish I had this book at that time. Meeting God at the Shack helped me to see beyond the story and more of the symbolism and richness of the book. It gave me a new experience and understanding. Well worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far it's really good., December 27, 2012
This is my first e-book and I am only on chapter 3 but I am enjoying it very much. My husband got me a tablet for Christmas . My family really enjoyed The Shack , so of course this was my first pick. I hope to purcharse more in the futer and enjoy them as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars well written and excellent companion to the shack, December 25, 2012
glad i read this thanks to the author for writing a really good companion to the shack this explains much about our condition and how we can come to terms withour pain

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Working on Meeting God, October 31, 2012
H. J. Young (San Leandro, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I really like this book. I find it a great follow up from Paul Young's THE SHACK. I have yet to complete this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars More than the Shack, October 16, 2012
After reading the Shack twice, I was intrigued to find this book of commentary. I read it with great interest. The book identifies the impetus for the novel and the review as well: The shack within all of us. I recommend this book for discussions in book clubs, bible studies, and support groups. It will guide the discussions well, asking vital questions that we all should ponder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dot W., October 7, 2012
This was the most powerful book i have ever read. I not only read it but i bought the C D and listened to it on a trip i took in my car. This is a must read for all.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›