Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Meeting God at the Shack: A Journey Into Spiritual Recovery
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on December 14, 2011
I read The Shack and thoroughly enjoyed it, but was not sure what to do with all of the negative critiques. Young was attacked for some questionable theology, which I somewhat understood, but was not sure it was actually warranted because I wondered if the critics were missing his point. Hicks goes through The Shack and attempts to help his readers comprehend what Young was actually trying to communicate. Hicks' efforts are appreciated, and very effective.

It seems that many of the critics of The Shack misunderstand the genre of Young's work. Hicks spends time developing this concept as he discusses Young's motives, as well as Young's background and history. As Hicks points out, Young is not attempting systematic theology, but rather "an extended modern parable." With this in mind, we can set out to read the book for what it is: parabolic theology that might very well lead the reader down a path of introspection, and also closer to God.

The Shack invites the reader to be very real, and genuine: to go to places that are deep, dark, and hidden. Hicks takes that invitation a step further and more fully develops some very key elements of Young's book (e.g., Hicks' discussions on the Triune shine, gardening with God, and the Trinity). It appears obvious that Young has endured much suffering and sadness, and perhaps this is why Hicks is able to do so much with Young's work, for he too has experienced great pain, suffering, and setbacks. There is something about Hicks that is very real; he is able to empathize, and thus elaborate in ways that many cannot.

For me, The Shack was painful, yet liberating. Hicks' book was more of the same, for which I am appreciative.
on April 28, 2012
I found this version explaining "The Shack", very informative. I disagree with all the negetive comments on The Shack". This book helps with its take on spirituality. We all need enlightenment in plain terms. These stories help get us thinking more about our life after passing.
on February 10, 2012
This is a great pt. 2 to the Shack. I love both books. Awesome.If you want an inspiring read. This and The Sack are the really best ones,especially if you are a new Christian. It is even better.
on December 29, 2012
I would recommend this book to anyone who has previously read The Shack; it has some great insight & helpful quotes that are worth highlighting for review again & again. It reminds us how much God loves all of us - everything about us; God created us and wants a relationship with us.
on November 29, 2014
When I first read the Shack, I was deeply touched and didn't know why exactly why or what but reading this book helped me to understand what I was missing. Both books ha e increased my understanding of God's love for me and where my pain comes from. More important I know joy and peace.
on September 26, 2015
This excellent book goes well beyond The Shack. It explains why and how the characters represent members of the Holy Trinity and clarifies symbolism used in The Shack that I found confusing. The author, John Mark Hicks, shares his own struggles and how reading The Shack brought greater understanding and peace to his difficulties. I would highly recommend this book to people who read The Shack, but found it confusing, as well as to those who loved the The Shack. I'd also recommend it to those who have had devastating experiences and wondered why God was not there for them through their sorrows.
on November 8, 2012
I read The Shack when it first came out and lead a book discussion about it, I wish I had this book at that time. Meeting God at the Shack helped me to see beyond the story and more of the symbolism and richness of the book. It gave me a new experience and understanding. Well worth reading.
on September 7, 2012
I read The Shack twice and really didn't know there was any controversy about it. Meeting God at the Shack addressed the controversy and shed some light on a lot of the meaning of The Shack. Hicks addressed the woundedness of people and how God reaches out to us just the way we are. When I bought the book, I was hoping for insight into deeper understanding of spiritual recovery; this book has helped me embrace the concept of a loving God, rather than punitive, as I have wrestled with in the past due to my own woundedness. Hicks talks about how God wants relationship and just how much He loves us. It's a solid read for those struggling with their concept of their relationship with God.
on October 16, 2012
After reading the Shack twice, I was intrigued to find this book of commentary. I read it with great interest. The book identifies the impetus for the novel and the review as well: The shack within all of us. I recommend this book for discussions in book clubs, bible studies, and support groups. It will guide the discussions well, asking vital questions that we all should ponder.
on December 17, 2012
This book gave me a true understanding of The Shack. I thought I understood the book,but now I know it was a superficial understanding. This book can also stand alone in developing spiritual development. I am a better Christian for reading it.