4.0 out of 5 stars Lego-Compatible!
Published on January 24, 2013 by J. Weaver

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the same quality as Legos
Published on January 24, 2013 by C. Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars Lego-Compatible!, January 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not a huge fan of construction type playsets because I'm not a visual person and don't like having to follow visual directions. My daughter, on the other hand, is a HUGE fan of Legos. She started with Duplos and has moved on to Legos, even assembling many playsets on her own. I have to admit, when I first opened this box and saw that the 159 pieces included so many tiny ones, I was a bit intimidated. My daughter, though, was excited about the possibilities and about working toward that goal of a finished structure. She's never worked on a set this large with this many tiny pieces, though, so quite a bit of adult supervision and assistance are needed (at least for a six year-old).

As always with these types of playsets, the directions are all visual and they're laid out step by step. I liked that they are also in full color so that it's harder to make a mistake. While Daddy and daughter put the set together, I also checked the compatibility of these pieces with my daughter's Legos. While they are not always a perfect or easy fit, the MegaBloks will work with the Legos and allow for a lot of variation in play.

I love watching my daughter get excited as she works through the various stages of assembly. She's learning to follow an instruction manual, to develop patience, to work well with others (she and Daddy can both get frustrated at times), and to finish what she starts.

This isn't a groundbreaking toy, but it's fun. She was thrilled with the fact that her "Legos" (to her, construction bricks will always be Legos) have Barbie and Ken as the main characters. The playtime and the variety of pieces in this set make it a great toy for kids. I'm pretty certain that this toy will get good playtime and not be a flash-bang that ends up under the bed or in the closet. I would, however, only get this large set if you know that your child already enjoys Lego or MegaBlok construction. This is no starter set!

4.0 out of 5 stars So cute and so pink!, January 24, 2013
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really love the way this pool set looks. It's so bright and colorful, cheerful and adorable. It's the most girly building set I have ever seen. Little girls would LOVE this. The pool can even be filled with water if you want, making it even more realistic!
My two glaring complaints are this: First, the quality of it concerns me. Things totally fall apart with barely a touch. That is very frustrating. And Mega Bloks, unlike Legos, do not snap together as smoothly which results in warping sometimes in the finished product. They are not always easy to assemble because of this which is frustrating.
My second complaint is: The little dolls are kind of poorly designed. They look cute but they are too big for this set and just don't look/function right because of that. And even worse, they stand on these molded/permanent platforms that are molded to their feet, so if you have them sit down, that platform is sticking out in the air (which you can see in a description photo above). Ridiculous! They had a good thing going with these dolls being so cute and well designed in appearance, till you get to the bottom. How can you play with dolls like that?!
But that being said, the set is very cute overall, and I love the little pizzas, hot dogs, and water bottles (or whatever those blue drinks are). The colors are not only bright and cheerful but many of them are glittery too, like the pool interior is blue with glitter, and the slide & steps are pink with glitter. It looks awesome.
The set takes less than 1/2 hour to build since it has a very meager 159 pieces. For those who are not much into building, this is the perfect set to get. Aside from using some brute force to snap uneven blocks together, and some others falling apart while assembling, this is a very simple build. It has 2 sheets full of stickers for decorating the set (which I opted not to use because I am not into stickers at all - and it still looked awesome too), but youngsters might love this aspect of personalization.
This set also comes in a nice reusable box with a handle on it which is great if you take it all apart and want to store it for later use.
This would make a great gift for little girls, and you are sure to see a beaming smile from them when they see all the pink and Barbie, and the pool, and food, and all the other cute features this set has. I definitely recommend it for youngsters who like this type of toy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the same quality as Legos, January 24, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have all the Lego Friends sets (the Legos aimed towards girls with more feminine colors, products like a hair salon, fashion studio, etc.) I thought this would be similar to that. However, even though they are the same size as Legos, they do not snap together with ease, and make my daughter frustrated. The two figures (Ken and Barbie) have these permanent stands on their feet, and they aren't as easy to use as the Lego friends. It's a cute set, but it isn't going to be as durable as a Lego set (if you knock it over, it will come apart.) My daughter thinks the figures are too big for this set, and plans to use her Squinkies in it instead, so now the Squinkies will swim in style.

1.0 out of 5 stars Super disappointing birthday present!, October 15, 2013
This review is from: Mega Bloks Barbie Pool Party (Toy)
I gave these to my daughter this morning for her 6th birthday. We have other Mega Blok sets with no issues, but this Barbie Mega Blok Set is super flimsy and the pieces wouldn't stay together! The slide wouldn't stay on, the stairs broke off if you barely brushed it, the whole top tier falls off...the pillars don't line up. It was SO frustrating for both of us because she really wanted it, but it was no fun to play with when they pieces don't stay together. Stick with the Lego Friends...the quality doesn't compare. I called customer service to return these (as well as the ones we bought ahead for Christmas) before her birthday was even over. We will go pick up a Lego Friend set tomorrow after school.

5.0 out of 5 stars this item was chosen by my granddaughter when she saw it on line--it lived up to expectations If your child enjoy sLego--they w, September 19, 2013
This review is from: Mega Bloks Barbie Pool Party (Toy)
this item was chosen by my granddaughter when she saw it on line--it lived up to expectations If your child enjoys LEGO--they will have fun making up this set

2.0 out of 5 stars This is no Lego, July 4, 2013
This review is from: Mega Bloks Barbie Pool Party (Toy)
I bought this from Toys R Us for my six year old niece who is a Barbie/Disney Princess fanatic. I've always heard of Mega Bloks, but I have never experienced it before. On the day I bought it for her, my niece spent the night at my place.
I saw her struggling in trying to assemble the pieces. She then asked me to help her. Seeing how I am a huge Lego fan, I was delighted to help her assemble the playset. My experience with this toy made me appreciate Lego even more. Mega Bloks doesn't hold a candle to Lego. As an adult, I had a hard time in fixing the pieces. They constantly fell apart and I had hard time in attaching them together. There were several times where I pressed very hard against the floor in order to attach them. I didn't blame her that she needed help, since I was practically having a hard time myself. Don't get me wrong, the playset is absolutely beautiful and every girl will gush over it.It's so pink and girly. The pool could be filled with water. There's a slide and a spiral staircase which just adds to the fun factor. However,its assembly made me give it a poor star rating. I don't recommend this product, unless you're willing to super glue some of the pieces together.

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe for Older Little Girls?, April 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The age range of 4-15 years is a pretty wide one and I think this set should be more like 6 or 7 - 15 years. My niece just turned five and was excited about the Barbie Build and Style Pool Party, but she likes to do things herself and she really wasn't able to with this. I had to help her and had a bit of a hard time myself. The pieces don't go together as easy as they should and there are some very tiny pieces that are frustrating and easily lost. Then once you get everything together it isn't all that sturdy. It's a cute set and nice that is geared to girls, but I won't be buying any of the other sets, at least not for a couple more years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lego-adaptable Barbie Pool Set!, January 22, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I think of Mega Blocks, I think of larger blocks for smaller hands, like preschoolers and younger children, so I was pleasantly surprised when this play set arrived and it was Lego-sized bricks.

This Barbie set does not work with traditional sized Barbie dolls. Instead, it includes two miniature figures - Barbie and Ken. Barbie comes wearing a bikini, with optional skirt. Ken is wearing swim trunks. They come with accessories, such as a purse, a hat, a flower lai necklace, and flowers. These dolls are about the size of Polly Pocket dolls, just a little smaller, but they are much taller than Lego figures.

The building pieces are the same size as Lego pieces, and will work interchangeably with Lego pieces (I tried it just to make sure). Barbie and Ken both come with snap-on stands that enable them to stand on any brick you wish.

The pool area will hold actual water. This was a major bonus in the eyes of my kindergarten-aged daughter, and third grader, who played with it to test it out.

The instruction book has 30 steps in picture form, not words. The instructions were also in full-color, which was tremendously helpful in sorting through the 159 pieces. The instructions also included variations on the set, to change the play.

I only had minor issues with this set: the instructions were too difficult for my 5 year old, and too long and tedious for my 8 year old to set it up completely. I had to assemble it for them, to get them started with it. Also, the standing palm tree's leaves were too loose. It just would not stay on top of the tree base provided for them. We had to tape it down in order to get it to stay. The last problem I had was with the decal stickers (flowers, shrubbery). They were very thin and tore easily when I tried to remove them from the backing. I wish they had been printed on better stock.

If your daughters enjoy Lego Friends, then they will love this set, too! Makes a great birthday party gift for first or second graders!

2.0 out of 5 stars Barbie good, blocks bad, February 2, 2015
This review is from: Mega Bloks Barbie Pool Party (Toy)
MegBloks are not as good as Legos. My daughter was so excited to get this for the holidays because of the Barbie tie-in, but worked herself into tears because the blocks don't lock well or easily. She was able to follow the instructions, and likes the house, but never ever plans on taking it apart and building anything else.

1.0 out of 5 stars By daughter does not enjoy as she cannot play with it, December 26, 2014
This review is from: Mega Bloks Barbie Pool Party (Toy)
Hi, Brought this gift for my daughter for Christmas, so she opened it yesterday. Based on the large box I taught it would be larger than the others. However, item and pieces are extremely small. Extremely fragile. When building keeps falling apart at the slightest touch this making it hard to build. Slide and steps keep falling off. The parts do not fit well together. By daughter does not enjoy as she cannot play with it, when she tries the whole thing crumbles, not a child friendly toy.

Mega Bloks Barbie Pool Party