Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing STEM

on October 24, 2002
I have built lots of sets from different brands, and overall, I've found Mega Bloks sets to be the most challenging to build and most rewarding once completed. In my judgement, the fit of the parts is better than other brands - while it takes a bit more to put the blocks together, they tend to stay together better once assembled.
Unlike the previous reviewer, I found all the parts in order. It would be helpful, however, if they put a checklist of parts bags in the instruction set so you could do a quick check to ensure all the parts were there.
The model is detailed beyond belief - a working extendable ladder, deployable jackstands, fire extinguishers and axes - it's all there. I seldom put decals on my Mega Bloks; this fire engine is really testing that practice - it demands the additional detail of the decals.
It's rugged enough that my sons play with it a lot - especially with the sound FX and lights. Some parts come off easily during play, but these are mostly detail accessories like mirrors and floodlights, and it's easy for the boys to put the parts back on.
Having said that, I must note that this kit is a challenge. Younger children may be overwhelmed, and a lot of parental supervision / help may be required. The instructions give a parts list for each step - this is very helpful because the color-coding of which parts are to be added in a step aren't always as clear as they could be. It's also necessary, at some steps, to count pegs to make sure you put the blocks in the right places - some of the instruction diagrams could be improved to make visualization of the assembly steps easier.
All in all, it's a great kit to put together.
on December 31, 2002
When I first saw this fire truck for the first time,I told my mom I wanted it for Christmas. So we looked at the reviews on toysrus.com. Some reviews were good. Others were not so good. Anyway I saw that some of the reviews said there were parts missing. Others said that it did not stay together well. Now I am going to tell you the story of my truck which I recieved for Christmas. When I opened it up I was happy to see that there were no parts missing. So I started to build. I guess that review was wrong for my truck! I worked for 3 days straight on it . Then I got to a part where I had to push hard. It broke into a million pieces!! Finally After saving the parts I could I started to rebuild. Finally I finished but it is so fragile. It does not hold together well. Right now it is standing ok but I don't touch it very much cause I'm afraid it will break. I am pleased with how it looks.Buy it only if you have patience!
on December 12, 2015
This set was apparently amazingly popular when first produced- there's a reason for that. Lots of pieces and bright colors and very useful if you do your own builds or are making your own city scene. Lots of fun to put together. If you can find one pick it up.
on January 7, 2003
As a 29 year old kid, I just had to have it when I was Christmas shopping in Toys R Us. It looks pretty nice and now I have to figure out where I am going to put it. The hardest part about putting it together is searching for the parts. Although a part list by bag would be nice, after awhile the items grouping did make sense. I did have difficulties at times deciphering exactly what part they wanted on the instructions, i.e. red block or red clear block. Also the exact placement at times was difficult but all these problems worked themselves out in the end.
Now all the need is a NYPD RMP.
on October 24, 2003
I have been watching this firetruck for a while,the price you offered in september was a super price. I collect fire toys as a hobby and this firetruck was not only detailed, but a challange to get it together with instruction. I'm please to see mega blocks go into vehicles with the quality and detail they do. My firetruck kit I would say this is one to get for your kids for there collection! Firefighter Erwin Walker.
on January 10, 2004
My friend got thias set for christmas 2 years ago, but got frustrated after about the 10th step so she stuck it up in the attic. THen about a week ago, I went over to her house and I brought the finding nemo dvd over. after beign inspired by the animation we decided to make ur own movies using little lego people. Then i remembered she had that firetruck set and i really wanted to do it so she got it down from her attic. We started it at midnight and worked until about 6am puting it together. While we had a lot of fun, the directions were a little confusing at times, so we had to be patient, but all the peices were in the box, and everything fit together pretty well. Mega Bloks are a little hard to put together, but once you snap then into place you know there is little chance your model will fall apart. We got up the next day and finished the rest, so all in all the model took about 8 hours, but it was so fun that we were inspired to go out and buy another kit. I am aout to go purchase the destroyer/battleship kit. That looks very entertaining. I RECOMMEND BUYING THIS PRODUCT. THE ONLY REQUIREMENT IS THAT YOU HAVE TIME AND PATIENCE. ITS A GREAT WEEKEND PROJECT BUT I WOULD NOT RECOMEND LETTING YOUNGER KIDS TRY THIS. I'D SAY AGES 13 AND UP IS GOOD. FOR YOUNGER KIDS TRY THE DIRT BIKE, OR ONE OF THE SMALLER FIGHTER JETS.
on December 17, 2002
The FDNY fire truck is pretty cool model - flashing lights, a selection of horns and sirens and a 2 stage ladder that locks in 3 different positions. The decals that comes with it are a nice touch, especially the one of the shield on the doors that shows the New York City skyline, complete with the World Trade Center towers. My only gripe with it is I had a hard time getting some of the pieces to snap in place, mostly with the roof and lightbar. Other then that I really enjoyed putting it together. Total build time - about 7 hours.
on October 16, 2002
I purchased this set due to the excellent design, my love of fire engines, and, as a New Yorker, I loved the set the second I saw it.
I knew from previous experience that Mega Bloks sets are not of the same quality as Legos, but this set was too awesome looking to not buy it.
While putting together my set, I noticed some pieces were missing while assembling the set. A little disappointed, I went backed to Toys R US to exchange the set. The Toys R Us staff was more than helpful in exchanging the set.
When I returned with my new set, I went through making sure I had all the pieces in the set. The first page of the instructions has pictures of all the pieces, including a piece count.
While doing so, I noticed I had two bags of the same pieces. I figured it was a mistake by the manufacturing plant, and was happy I would have extra pieces. Unfortunately, in order to get the extra pieces, I sacrificed another bag that would have pieces I need to construct the set.
So once again, I exchanged the set. This time, I was going through the bags full of pieces and noticed the same problem. Duplicate bags of the same pieces, and a missing bag of pieces necessary pieces.
Long story short, AFTER 3 EXCHANGES TO 3 DIFFERENT STORES, I will have to return the set. I wish this was not the case, because the model looks like a great set. I feel that Mega Bloks is to blame. I think the order for the three huge exclusive Toys R Us Probuilder sets was too much for the Mega Bloks company and plant to handle. I will probably buy this set when I feel that Mega Bloks has corrected its problems.
I highly recommend you DO NOT BUY THIS SET!!!! If you still want to buy this set, I recommend you go to a brick & mortar Toys R Us so that you can easily take it back to the store, instead of paying a large amount for shipping the set back to the distribution center.
If anyone from Toys R Us or Amazon is reading this, I recommend you send the send all three Toys R Us exclusive Probuilders sets back to Mega Bloks so they can correct the problem. Then, I will be the first one in line for this set.
on January 19, 2003
I purchased this for my brother who is 34 and collects fire trucks. He said it took him 8 straight hours to build but loved how easy it was. There were some pieces missing and he called the company and they sent out the pieces to him with no problem. He is actually looking at purchasing other fire trucks from this line.
on February 10, 2004
This is far the best Mega Bloks toy there is. The only thing i wish is that they sold more. I haven't been able to find one of these FDNY mega bloks fire truck anywhere. Everywhere I look, they are sold out so that has to say something about this toy.