5.0 out of 5 stars Great vintage style for cutting edge camera!
The instant I saw this case it convinced me that I needed to buy that G1X I've been eyeing just that much sooner!
I collect and shoot with old/antique SLRs, many of them accompanied by their own custom leather cases, and it's certainly "about time" a company went ahead and custom made cases because DAMN are they the pinnacle of style and function!

I've...
Published on May 21, 2012 by Danielle LP

3.0 out of 5 stars Old fashion camera case
This is a old style, old fashion, charming, camera case. Quality of this product is fairly high, details are well done and the leather smells good.
I secoffee defects in the product:
The belt to hang the camera is plastic made and not leather
Published on July 2, 2012 by Francesco del Greco

5.0 out of 5 stars Great vintage style for cutting edge camera!, May 21, 2012
This review is from: MegaGear Ever Ready Protective Dark Brown Leather Camera Case, Bag for Canon PowerShot G1X , G1 X (Electronics)

I've never carried around a separate foam/fabric camera bag, and having one for the Canon G series has always been unnecessary given the lack of fragile detachable lenses. This case best suits my needs of 'stuffing camera in bag/backpack and getting out the door' while still not taking up too much space in whatever bag i'm carrying that day.

The materials are very nice and well manufactured, the brass snaps do not seem cheap and there is a nice velour lining on the inside. I especially liked the matching strap and the ability for it to be mounted on a tripod while still in-case.

I love that this case is also 'incognito' in that if you're walking around on the street (unless someone is really looking closely) the case reads more as an actual vintage camera (which generally speaking camera thieves are not so interested in). Obviously though shooting with it (especially with the swivel screen out) will show your hand, so to speak.

I do not find the case interferes with camera function: when seated properly in the case the swivel screen's motion is not interrupted from any angle. When I first fitted the case on I was a little confused by the part that swings over and protects the lens; I thought it had to be removed every time while shooting but after a few minutes I figured out that you could just unsnap the front/bottom snap and swing that portion of the case over and under the camera for shooting without having to unsnap the sides (given the screen is not swung out)

All around excellent casual case with great style, I wouldn't run around in the rain with it, but who does that with their camera anyway?

3.0 out of 5 stars Old fashion camera case, July 2, 2012
I secoffee defects in the product:
The belt to hang the camera is plastic made and not leather
To take pictures you need to completely remove the front portion of the case, otherwise you canot use the camera
Access to battery and memory is possible only after completely remove the case

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, May 4, 2012
Made well and a great price. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is because the LCD swivel screen hits the button snap when the LCD screen swivels to the extended position.

4.0 out of 5 stars I recommend it, March 6, 2013
This seemed like a natural to go with my new G1X, so I ordered both at the same time. After about a month of use, I have no regrets. If you want total free access to all camera surfaces and functions at all times, just throw your camera in the padded bag of your choice, but for a grab-and-go, old-style camera rig (i.e. 90% of the time), this case is tough to beat. Very nice look and feel, and very protective of the camera.

To address some of the specific points:
-- Yes, it is real leather, and the "old" smell seems to increase with use.
-- I use the camera's own strap, so the quality of the one supplied with the case is irrelevant to me (and you won't need it).
-- The very left-hand corner of the bottom section of the case does interfere slightly with the lower left corner of the display screen when it is opened and closed, but it doesn't hamper use of the screen. Since the case protects the screen, I just leave the screen folded against the camera in viewing position (i.e. display out).
-- I have not tried to use it on a tripod with the case attached, but I suspect it would be no better or worse than is my old Olympus OM-1 case of similar design: not ideal, but workable. The attachment thumbwheel is tripod-threaded.
-- It is practical to swivel the top of the case around to the rear of the camera and take a picture. Again, if you're going to be shooting dozens of shots in a row, you'll probably want to take off the top cover, but I've used it many times in attached mode.
-- No, you can't get to the battery or memory without taking off the bottom of the case, but that's a simple operation, and if the amount of time it takes matters to you, I guess you didn't want a case to begin with. A totally trivial matter that in my opinion doesn't even qualify as a complaint.
-- Right out of the box, it looks a tad too shiny and perfect for my taste, but it seems like it will age nicely.
-- The "retro" vibe is unquestioned. In my first one-week road trip with this camera, I was stopped twice by camera buffs who wanted to know which vintage camera I was using. A good design decision well-executed.

If you're looking for a nice and rugged case for the G1X with traditional form and function, if there's anything better out there, I don't know about it. For the price? Grab it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good case for most purposes, July 30, 2012
This MegaGear case is good looking and well built. Just as advertised; and it fits over a Lensmate filter adapter with a UV filter attached. If you add a snap-on lens hood it will still just fit but you shouldn't need a lens cap with this case, especially if you have a protective filter over the lens.

For most shots you'll want to remove the front/top/back piece - it's just a snap on each side and one on the bottom - although you can still take pictures with it attached; and the swing out screen is not inhibited by it.

If the bottom tripod fitting had been just a bit farther from the bottom snap you could fit a snap-on tripod plate to the camera through the case and that would have been very convenient. I find myself removing the case entirely when I'm in great picture country and want to take a lot of shots: the desert, mountains, etc. since this case does not deploy for shooting quickly enough on those days.

Somehow this retro - and very handsome - case suits the G1X, which I think of as a technical breakthrough and first of its kind in serious photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great old style camera case, May 19, 2012
The case looks great and is well made. It fits my Canon G1 X perfectly, even when using the adaptor ring with a 58mm polarizing filter. I liked it so much I bought one of each color. The strap is also nice as it has a rubber type backing to keep it from sliding off your shoulder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case!, May 12, 2012
This case is a great improvement over those horrible generic camera "cases" that are really nothing more than little Velcro baggies. The custom leather bottom attaches securely with a screw dial, and the form-fitting leather "body" wraps around and snaps to that, making a snazzy and secure package. Very attractive and a bit retro too. You can either remove the top part completely for shooting, or leave it hanging by the snap for a quick shot.. Use the included strap, or perhaps more conveniently, there are gaps in the case perfectly positioned to permit the camera's own strap to pass. All controls are accessible, and the screen swivels out unimpeded.

Note that you do have to remove the bottom to change the battery or card, but this is easily accomplished.

All in all, a great case!

5.0 out of 5 stars nice case, January 3, 2014
good leather and is a perfect custom fit for the canon gx1 looks great and smells good too very happy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product at an unbeatable price, July 31, 2013
J. F. Bobadilla (Majadahonda, Madrid Spain) - See all my reviews
I love the retro looks of this case. Leather and manufacturing is top notch.
I highly recommended this product from MegaGear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep'n my Lady Happy, February 5, 2013
My wife wanting a camera case to protect her camera. So, I went Amazon and found a MegaGear Dark brown leather case that was in my price range and filled all of my wife's expectations. A rugged leather outer case that's classy and when needed, opens up quickly for that perfect shot. Her old case was extremely hard to open and was very time consuming.
PS. My wife love's it!