|Listen Now with Prime Music Join Prime||Prime Members|
Megalithic Symphony Deluxe
|New from||Used from|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
AWOLnation has a truly original sound and unique voice in Aaron Bruno (signer / lead songwriter) His vocal skills are eminent and range a variety of genres... he can sing catchy melodies, break out into staccato vocal beats, rise to epic emotional rock screams, drop back into a rap line, and then into a multi piece gospel harmony with backup vocals and instruments... and often, all these vocal styles in a single song. The result is a great variety and range of pace and emotion.
The rest of the band is very good as well.. including Blind Melon guitarist Chris Thorn... and even though the music is heavily Pro-Tools produced, AWOLnation manages to pull off really great live performances.. (check out YouTube for various live tracks) .... the true test of their musicianship.
In addition to nailing the cross pollination of several genres, writing catchy melodies, and having great production values, I will also say that this band does a great job of writing songs that "breathe" well... they deftly allow space in between beats and melodies to give the downbeats and changes a great effect. Translation: They get your head bobbing!
The entire album is very good... I've listened through it several dozen times now. It's well worth the purchase.
FIRST LISTEN HITS:
-> "SAIL" (5/5 stars)
Their first single / radio hit... a dark sounding song combining ripping electronic synth bass, staccato string chops, catchy guitar arpeggios, and a combination of great vocal melodies and heavy angst filled vocals.Read more ›
1. Megalithic Symphony - 3/5 - A simple intro song. Interesting sounding, a good start to the album.
2. Some Sort of Creature - 1/5 - I don't really know why this song is on the album. It kind of ruins the flow set up by the first song.
3. Soul Wars - 5/5 - The first real song on the album and it kicks it off with a bang. This song is up tempo and extremely fun. It combines a quick fun verse, and then a hard hitting chorus that combines screaming and singing. Great song.
4. People - 4/5 - I've never been a fan of songs that start off with talking, and this song takes a penalty for this. But as soon as it gets to the actual song, this song is more of an uplifting close-to-epic track.
5. Jump on My Shoulders - 4/5 - This song is similar to People, but much more simple. It's basically a fun tune, and nothing more.
6. Burn it Down - 5/5 - The sheer anarchy of this song is what makes it so perfect. Starting off with a crazy drum fill and then a quick beat and lots of screaming makes this song not only fun to listen to, but also gives the feeling of being on a thrill ride. One of the best songs on the album.
7. Guilty Filthy Soul - 5/5 - I love this song! It sort of sounds like a modern rock version of a Jackson 5 song.
8. Kill Your Heroes - 5/5 - Not as dark as it sounds, and actually turns out to be a bit up-lifting with lyrics "No need to worry, because everybody will die," in one of the best choruses of the album. Great song.
9.Read more ›
About 4 years ago I discovered a band called "Under the Influence of Giants" who is such a great band...I was sad to hear they made one great album and split up...Now to back to the present, I rectently discovered Awolnation through Amazon (like all of my music) and very quickly became attached to the album. I thought there was something very familiar about the sound of the vocals/sound...I looked it up, and sure enough Its Aaron Bruno from Under the Influence of Giants. I was very impressed when I found out its his solo project!
I cant stress enough how inspiring all of the tracks are on this album (besides track 2 which doesnt make any sense). Aaron Bruno is very talented! Such original sound, with upbeat sound and very broad vocals. I highly recommend this album to anyone who is a fan of Under the Influence of Giants, or anyone who is looking to add another superb album to their collection.
The first two songs that really blew my mind were 'Soul Wars' and 'Burn it Down' since I didn't expect them to rock out quite so hard. My first impression was that I loved every other song, so it took a few listens to appreciate the CD as a whole. My only qualm is that at times it's a little hard to understand the lyrics, so after looking them up, it just took my love to a whole new level. There's some real depth there, not only sadness and frustration (which I get from 'Sail') but pure joy. I can't not feel good listening to 'People' or 'Jump on my Shoulders.' Maybe there's a little pop influence, but there's enough rock in there that it feels like I've been waiting for this band to drop into my life. 'Kill your Heroes' and 'Not your Fault' were automatic winners. It took awhile for 'Guilty Filthy Soul' and 'Wake Up' to grow on me but they're pretty groovy too. 'All I need' is lovely. Don't get me started on 'Knights of Shame,' which was another early favorite that blew my mind right away. It's epic and awesome and I've never heard anything quite like it. The newer songs 'MF' and 'This Kid's Not Alright' freak me out. I'm addicted and I only wish I found this little gem of a CD earlier. It might not be for everyone, especially those who want 'Sail' to be their only sound. I can't be happier that it's not.
It's simply amazing.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great vinyl!!! Amazing sound!!!! They're concert though.... That's a whole nother review -_-Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
I only like a few songs on this, and they are all sail.....I figured I would like more of themPublished 1 month ago by Luke McCarty
Excellent album but I opened it up (brand new) and the album skipped. I was not happy but I'm not sure that's something you can return.Published 1 month ago by jesse williams
Several songs don't work and after track 12 it makes a terrible static sound, moves to a track 13 and is very loud static for minutes ( I realize it doesn't have 13 tracks but if... Read morePublished 1 month ago by Clay
They have some good songs on the album but I could've got the few I really liked much cheaper soloPublished 2 months ago by A. Culp