Top positive review
127 of 144 people found this helpful
AWOLNATION - An amazing band that truly does it all.
on May 11, 2011
Like most of the other reviewers of the album, I first Awolnation with the song 'Sail' and almost instantly fell in love. I didn't preview any of the other songs based on my love for the song 'Sail' before purchasing the album, and I was pleasantly surprised in the several directions that the songs take.
1. Megalithic Symphony - 3/5 - A simple intro song. Interesting sounding, a good start to the album.
2. Some Sort of Creature - 1/5 - I don't really know why this song is on the album. It kind of ruins the flow set up by the first song.
3. Soul Wars - 5/5 - The first real song on the album and it kicks it off with a bang. This song is up tempo and extremely fun. It combines a quick fun verse, and then a hard hitting chorus that combines screaming and singing. Great song.
4. People - 4/5 - I've never been a fan of songs that start off with talking, and this song takes a penalty for this. But as soon as it gets to the actual song, this song is more of an uplifting close-to-epic track.
5. Jump on My Shoulders - 4/5 - This song is similar to People, but much more simple. It's basically a fun tune, and nothing more.
6. Burn it Down - 5/5 - The sheer anarchy of this song is what makes it so perfect. Starting off with a crazy drum fill and then a quick beat and lots of screaming makes this song not only fun to listen to, but also gives the feeling of being on a thrill ride. One of the best songs on the album.
7. Guilty Filthy Soul - 5/5 - I love this song! It sort of sounds like a modern rock version of a Jackson 5 song.
8. Kill Your Heroes - 5/5 - Not as dark as it sounds, and actually turns out to be a bit up-lifting with lyrics "No need to worry, because everybody will die," in one of the best choruses of the album. Great song.
9. My Nightmare's Dream - ?/5 - Interlude. Can't really rate this song.
10. Sail - 6/5 - I have to give this song a little of a bonus point, since not only is it putting this band on the radar of the music scene, but is doing so for great reason. This song is pure dark-electronic heaven.
11. Wake Up - 3/5 - The opening is a bit odd, with an female vocalist that sets up the song to be somewhat of an anthem, and then becomes a song similar to Soul Wars, but not as good. Not a bad song, but the band is clearly capable of more.
12. Not Your Fault - 5/5 - Another favorite on the album, great verse, great chorus, a simply great upbeat song.
13. All I Need - 5/5 - The only true slow song on the album, and it shows that Awolnation has the ability to do a slow tempo song just as well as a quick one. The only downside is that makes me wish for more ballads on the album.
14. Knights of Shame - 2/5 - This song is five minute long song, drawn out over fifteen minutes. It's not all bad, but after a few minutes it causes the loss of interest. Especially with the unnecessary two minutes of silence at the end of the song.
15. Shoestrings - 4/5 - A fun song. Not the best closer for the album, but it ends the album on a light note at least.
The ratings obviously don't add up to the 5/5 that I gave the entire album, but as a whole, the entire album works perfectly. Some songs are better than others, but it flows perfectly and is one of the best Electronic/Indie-Rock albums ever (Not that it has much competition...)