5.0 out of 5 stars funkydrummer, July 24, 2012
This review is from: Meinl Percussion DJW3GAB-M 12-Inch Floatune Series Wood Djembe, Gold Amber Sunburst (Electronics)
I bought this djembe after spending hours on YouTube trying to get an idea of what various djembes sounded like. I didn't want a rope-tuned drum and this was a great option. I ended up choosing this djembe over the Remo product because the Remo product sounds ringy, clangy (like a toy drum) and doesn't have those deep bass tones when you slap it. This Meinl djembe does! It's a bit more expensive, but well worth it because it sounds (and looks) fantastic. Anyway, hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Meinl's got the beat, April 27, 2010
S Rabbit (the Niagara Frontier) - See all my reviews
I've always had an interest in percussion, and especially hand drums. I pretty much discovered the djembe around last Christmas, when my sister told me that my nephew's djembe head was broken....I had trouble finding the proper head, so I bought him a new 12" djembe...I got to play it for a week before I gave it to him, and I just loved it....so I went on a quest for my own djembe....I read reviews, and watched videos, and tried out various brands and sizes of djembes....one day while doing a search, I came upon a great price on the Meinl 12" Floatune djembe on Amazon....I hadn't been able to try before I bought it, but I knew I could return it if it fell short of my expectations....well the Meinl exceeds my expectations....out of the box the finish was beautiful...the hardware is shiny chrome and very heavy....and the sound...this drum has the sound I've been looking for in a hand drum for years...great sharp highs and deep lows, and everything in between....I love this drum....great sound, great looks, great price....I did buy a stand to get it off the ground a little,and increase the volume....buy it....

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding drum, February 20, 2011
This djembe is incredible. It has an excellent tone! I ordered it based on online research without having physically played one before. Very glad that it sounds as good as I expected. It's amazingly easy to tune.