4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Toddler Toy
My daughter has enjoyed this cardboard block set. She enjoys the blocks because they stack tall, unlike her smaller plastic building blocks, which do not stand well on the carpeting. She often builds up the blocks, knocks them over, and starts over again.

Published on November 20, 2007 by Kissing Hands for Two

2.0 out of 5 stars not melissa and doug quality
Published on November 23, 2008 by kelsey

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Toddler Toy, November 20, 2007
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe 10-Piece Alphabet Nesting and Stacking Blocks (Toy)

She does not care about the pictures on the blocks, but she recognizes the letters, which are all written uppercase. Some of the blocks are difficult for a toddler to associate the picture with the letter (e.g. a rabbit with a rose for the letter "R," but most toddlers would see a bunny with a flower).

I have used the blocks for other games, such as "Memory" by hiding smaller objects (such a sock or paper) under the blocks and asking her to remember which object is under which block.

I would recommend this product for children aged two-years and older. The cardboard blocks could easily be damaged by a younger child, rendering the blocks unstackable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really cute block set!, October 4, 2006
I got this alphabet block set for my 16-month old daughter (even though the suggested age is 2+). She enjoys nesting toys in general, so I knew she'd like these. She also likes stacking the blocks up, and then knocking them over. When all stacked together, the blocks stand taller than her (she's about 31 inches). I'm sure when she gets older, she'll be able to use this toy to help her with learning the alphabet. Right now, it's all about the stacking and nesting. These blocks are very colorful and I'm sure she'll use them for a long time! Melissa & Doug did a great job with this one! These are different than other blocks - and the only storage space needed is for the largest block - all of them fit inside!

2.0 out of 5 stars not melissa and doug quality, November 23, 2008
kelsey (fort collins, CO USA) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
I love Melissa and Doug products, which is why I bought this w/o a second guess. I actually returned this due to the fact that it's made out of cardboard. I have a 2 year old, and a 6month old. I don't know about you.. but cardboard would not last in our house more than a week, my 2 year old would step, or fall and put a heavier toy on it, and crush it. and the 6month old will eat the edges, and I'm not sure I want her with cardboard mush in her mouth! however the WOOD version they have of these in AWESOME!

1.0 out of 5 stars Love Melissa and Doug; Think these are trash!, February 17, 2011
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
The toys usually are well made; these blocks are not! Spend a little more and get the wooden blocks they make with animals. If you want them for the alphabet get the regular blocks. These are poorly made of a thin cardboard wrapped in a sticker that has the printing and is meant to hold them together. They are VERY easily broken and came new with defects where the sticker didn't cover corners. I have two daughters that have many Melissa and Doug toys. I love all the other toys from them as do my girls.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Blocks!, August 27, 2008
J. Clarkson "mupificus" (Albuquerque, New Mexico United States) - See all my reviews
We have had these blocks for a year at least, and my son has spent much time stacking them and, his favorite, knocking them down. He is 2.5 now. The pictures are wonderful, and each drawing has at least two items beginning with the letter that it illustrates. For example, there is a cow with a cake that has candles on it, an alligator with an apple, a penguin wearing pearls and carrying a purse, etc. I have even enjoyed trying to find everything in a picture that starts with the letter.

I would definitely purchase these blocks again. They all fit into a box with a handle for carrying around.

The only downside is that they are not especially durable, being made of cardboard. The edges are worn and some of the pictures are peeling. But I just tape them down. My son doesn't care!

I do think we will continue to use these blocks to learn the alphabet for a long time to come; as long as they last.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the typical M&D quality, August 6, 2008
MomE (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
We received these blocks as a gift about two weeks ago and we've already had to throw some blocks away. First of all, if your child chews on things, this is not the toy for you. My son has easily gnawed off bits of the blocks. Also, if the blocks are stepped on... they're not stong enough to withstand the weight entirely, but they are solid enough to hurt your childs feet. The outer covering also started peeling away on the top of the blocks. Bummer...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for rough toddlers, November 12, 2008
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
If you have a teether, these will not survive the toddler's gnawing on them. Also, these will buckle under the weight of a toddler trying to balance on them or balance heavier toys on the boxes. For a good idea of how sturdy these are, they are comparable to heavy duty cardboard moving boxes. If you think you toddler won't be able to destroy these, this is a wonderful excellent toy. On the other hand, if your toddler is as strong as mine is, look for the wooden blocks instead, such as Hi-5 Sorting tower.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun Yet Flimsy..., August 2, 2009
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought these blocks for my 17 month old son. Luckily they were not expensive because they are not very durable. I stack these for him, and he loves plowing into them to knock them down. Then he sits and puts each block into it's nesting partner, hands them to me, and we start the whole process over again...so they have been a great way for us to pass the time!

Unfortunately, we've only had these blocks for a few weeks and they're already starting to fall apart. Made of cardboard, they're covered in stickers that soon start to peel. If you have a child who likes to put things in his mouth (as I'm sure most of us do), then the edges of the blocks will soon start to become flimsy and less block-shaped. I don't highly recommend these, but I also wouldn't tell people to avoid them. Just be aware that if you purchase them, you most likely won't have them very long.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great and easy stacking blocks, January 9, 2007
My son is 21 months and I wanted to get him something big enough for him to build tall. On Christmas morning I stacked them and put them next to the tree and they were the first gift he went to. These are great because they fit into the case and then are very easy to store. And the blocks have the alphabet listed on them so its fun to teach them what block goes next. They are very colorful and fun. The only downside for us is he tries to climb on them and if they are on their sides they cave in and he falls. I actually have them away right now so he doesnt ruin them. My sons climbs on everything!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A favorite at our house!, September 29, 2009
My daughter (now 18 months) LOVES these blocks! She's played with them for several months now - we actually keep them in our bedroom so if she gets up a little early for our tastes, she can play with them for awhile without needing our help. They're nice and quiet and have saved me many hours of sleep!

Obviously at 18 months she's not using them to learn letters, but they're still educational as she practices putting the various sizes inside one another. Her big 4 year old sister uses them occasionally too, mostly to entertain her little sister. The pictures are bright and creative.

As many reviewers noted, they are made of hard cardboard, so I could see how they might break. Ours have been played with daily for 6 months, and they are still in great shape, so maybe we are just lucky. My daughter chewed on plenty of other things, but never these.

Rate and Discover Movies