5.0 out of 5 stars Large age range
This was a present for my 3 year old, but my 18 month old loves it more. He is a fan of puzzles, and this is more challenging and different. He really got the motion down quickly and it has really developed his precision movements and hand eye coordination.
Published on January 1, 2008 by M. Holloway

3.0 out of 5 stars Couple of Things Bugged Me
Published 17 months ago by BBlair

5.0 out of 5 stars Large age range, January 1, 2008
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe 10-Piece Magnetic Bug Catching Game (Toy)

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT PUZZLE, March 31, 2008
Any of the magnetic puzzles like this one is sure to be a hit. My 2 grandchildren 21 and 24 months old just love them. It is the first thing they choose to play with. They enjoy taking them apart and putting the pieces where they belong and then using the magnetic pole to grab the pieces out. They laugh and just get a kick out of it every time they catch a piece. These puzzles are a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fish and learn, July 27, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This was purchased for my four year old Grandson who came to visit me. I think that I had as much fun with it as he did. The toy combines many learning experiences with fun. Some of which are: Hand eye coordination, learning names of insects, identifying colors, placing shapes and many others. This is a simple fun toy for a toddler

4.0 out of 5 stars A great addition if you have the magnetic fishing puzzle. WARNING, September 17, 2009
My son loved the magnetic fishing puzzle so much that I knew he would love this. I mean what kid isnt interested by insects.

WARNING - The string with the magnet on it make a wonderfull whip for your child so be carefull or youll lose an eye.

3.0 out of 5 stars Couple of Things Bugged Me, June 25, 2013
BBlair (Washington State) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
Overall, the concept of this toy is great. Use of the magnet promotes fine motor and hand/eye coordination. For cognitive play, I ask my 2 year old daughter to find specific bugs or bugs that fly or bugs of a particular color. Since there is no picture to indicate which bug goes in what slot, a negative in some reviews, she has to find it based on memory and form, which she seems to enjoy doing. However, in actual execution there are some negatives.

The first and most important is the safety issue. The back of the "bugs" in my game has a thin layer of wood product that is peeling off (I just got the game yesterday). This creates pieces of wood "splinters" that are unsafe. I imagine this could be fixed by gluing the backs but I shouldn't have to do this.

Second, the length of the magnetic cord is not optimal for small toddlers as they can hit themselves in the face and it makes it harder to manipulate the "net." This can be remedied by taking up the cord length and tying a knot to shorten it. I suggest taking the whole cord out and reversing the knot to the backside, since tying a knot in front creates a length of cord in the field of view. For my daughter, this was a distraction.

I did notice that the graphics were glued-on paper, not painted, but I have yet to see this curl up as other reviewers have noted in the short time I have owned the toy.

In summary, good concept but quality is lacking. No surprising since in my experience the quality of M&D toys have been uneven lately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and good quality., March 24, 2007
My 2.5 year old just got this today and has been playing with it a lot and seems to really enjoy it. The quality is very good, like all Melissa and Doug toys we have purchased (which is a lot!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great young toddler toy!, November 16, 2009
My son got this as a gift for his 2nd birthday and really liked it immediately. It is noise-less, which I appreciate after all the dozens of noisy / musical / talking toys. I like that the idea is simple, but teaches hand-eye coordination. The toy is a beautiful simple wooden panel with bug cut-outs. Each bug has a small metal piece, allowing you to "catch" the bugs with the magnetic bug net. It is very colorful and now my son can name each bug - "ladybug", "firefly", "dragonfly" and so on.
I would definitely recommend this toy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Puzzle, May 15, 2009
My grandaughter is 2yrs old and loves this puzzle. She can name all of the bugs and place them back easily. She says she wants to go bug hunting and then we go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great Melissa and Doug toy!, May 29, 2008
My 2 year old son loves Melissa and Doug toys and this one is no exception. He loves to use the butterfly net to pick up the bugs and tell us what they are. I think it helps his fine motor skills - manipulating the magnet to pick up the pieces. Game is very durable, as all the Melissa and Doug items are, and will no doubt be saved for my grandchildren to play with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, January 9, 2012
My son is 19 months old and he LOVES this toy. It did not take long for him tho get the hang of it.... he cannot get the pieces back in the puzzle but he really enjoys taking them off with the bug net.