5.0 out of 5 stars Best Simple Toy
My daughter received this for her 3rd birthday, and she loved it... she put different outfits on her and she played with it forever... what I like is that it comes in its own case so that all of the pieces stay together...
Published on September 23, 2006 by Julie Petrenko

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't get this, buy the Circo version instead
This is a great toy, however, as another reader states, Melissa & Doug failed terribly in the container, and it IS important!!!
There are so many little pieces that, you want to keep them in a container you can close, otherwise it is a real pain, trust me.
Published on January 15, 2011 by S. Echeverria

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't get this, buy the Circo version instead, January 15, 2011
S. Echeverria "msect" (Washington, DC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe 27-Piece Nina Ballerina Magnetic Dress-Up (Toy)
I found a much better version of this toy, made by Circo (I believe this is a Target brand), the doll is nicer, there are more pieces of clothing AND the box has a sliding lid, BRILLIANT. I actually bought it too and looove it, as for the Melissa & Doug one, I have to find another box to put all the pieces together... not very smart.
With kids, you want to keep things organized and mess-free as much as posible, so GO with the Target brand, it is just as good quality, better design and cheaper!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Simple Toy, September 23, 2006
Julie Petrenko (Grand Rapids, MI) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Ballerina wooden "paper" doll, July 9, 2007
I bought this for a 3 year old for her birthday and she has been playing with it daily for the past few months! She loves to invent different costumes and sings while playing and dances around with the doll. My daughter has it and plays with it daily for the past couple of years! (she is 5 now).
My daughter loves paperdolls, but they don't last. This toy will last a long time!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute toy. Buy a container to keep the pieces together., July 14, 2008
JudyV (McDonald, PA) - See all my reviews
Cute toy that my daughter loves. TONS better than the paper dolls I played with when I was young. My only complant is that the box has no lid. I have pieces all over. Buy a plastic container and you will be fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great fun - but no lid on the box makes it tough!!, November 17, 2007
This is a fun toy, my daughter loves to mix and match the clothes. But the box has no lid on it, which means endless searching for the lost ballerina shoe or the missing shirt. I've seen other magnetic dress up sets that have lids, and I would suggest getting one of those instead!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan-tas-tic!!!, August 3, 2007
We got this for our not-quite-three-year old daughter last week. She loves playing with it. Even when she's not putting different outfits on the doll she'll play with it, talking to her "pretty 'rina". I would definately tell someone to buy this without any hesitation, it's a great gift for a child.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Toy, June 22, 2010
This toy is great, but I do wish the box had a lid for easier storage. I have had this over a year, and my kids haven't lost any pieces, but a lid would still be preferred. Other than that, it is a great, fun, and durable toy. My kids really love to put different outfits together.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, January 30, 2010
My daughter (4 yrs) has 3 of these little magnetic dolls and she loves them. They are easy to play with and come with many different clothing options. I just wish there was a permanent cover to go over the box to hold all the pieces in place - I've resorted to putting it all in a shoebox to keep little pieces from being lost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing: It IS a perfect toy!, November 26, 2008
There are other magnet dolls by Melissa and Doug, all equally as good! I wouldn't (like other reviewers) say Melissa and Doug's quality is top-notch on all their toys we had a hammer toy splinter apart and another "wooden" puzzle that was just thin sheets of wood glued one atop another to make each wooden piece chunky and we're constantly glueing that back down as each piece peels up BUT in the case of this toy it's SOLID. Even the magnet holds well to the wood, no peeling up, quite durable.

And you can't beat the Amazon price, free shipping, no sales tax, under $10. We paid $10 at Barnes and Noble because that's where we first saw them and thought the idea was ingenious.

My only complaint would be that each magnet doll comes with a wooden stand she can placed in but because the doll is so top heavy really any slight movement of her topples her out of the base. My DH was thinking of making another wider base to combat that issue.

While we love all their magnet dolls the clothing parts are, sadly, not interchangeable so we have to bag each doll separate. But that makes for easy portablity, one for upstairs, one for down, one in the diaper bag LOL.

And we got these when my DD was no longer chewing on toys, that was about 20 months old and so even though there are smaller parts (the shoes on this one, the gloves on the princess one) she has never had any issues with choking on anything. It has helped improve her coordination, she's now 2 and getting the parts on in the perfect spots.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish it came with a case to keep parts together..., January 1, 2011
Irishlawlass (Cleveland, Ohio) - See all my reviews
We bought this for our 22 month-old daughter for Christmas. It's very cute and she has played with it a couple times since Christmas. Our complaint is that the parts get tossed around everywhere because there's nothing to store them in. There are also some smaller parts that make it a little concerning regarding choking hazard and also just getting lost, sucked up in the vacuum, etc. I know this toy is meant for three and up but that's usually a cover-your-butt stamp on every kids toy -- even those aimed at two year-olds. This is one of those toys we think our daughter will grow into more as time goes on. We like that the dolls are not Barbie thin and perfect with tiny waistlines and huge breasts. These dolls look realistic and as a woman and the mother of a daughter in this appearance-crazed society, I appreciate that very much. Our chief complaint is that Melissa and Doug could have made some way to store all the outfits, shoes, bows, hats, etc. Even a mesh bag attached to the back would have been appreciated and prevented this from being "a messy toy" and one that will unfortunately loose many of its parts over time.

Melissa & Doug Deluxe 27-Piece Nina Ballerina Magnetic Dress-Up