4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful wooden food set for pretend play
Published on October 16, 2006 by Carys' Mommy

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice
I wanted good wooden pretend food (hate plastic toys) and I wanted a nice starter selection for a good price without having to buy, say, a separate veggie or fruit set. This is a basic food groups set so you get (4) little wooden crates filled with meats, veggies-n-fruits, dairy, and grains.

That said, after receiving the product, I can confirm that buying...
Published on September 25, 2008 by Robert Petkus

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, September 25, 2008
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Food Groups (Toy)

That said, after receiving the product, I can confirm that buying separate sets would have yielded superior pretend food, but would have quadrupled the investment. Besides, the kids love it and engage in all the rich, imaginative and independent play parents love to peripherally watch while reading the newspaper or something.

In summary,
Pros:
-All wood, nice all-in-one selection
-Kids like it a lot

Cons:
-Made in China
-All the produce is smaller than life-size -- even the egg and lemon (whereas the individual sets include many life-size items)
-Paint from some of the produce arrived scuffed onto other produce (enough to induce a mildly annoyed "come-on" but not enough to initiate a return or obsess over)

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful wooden food set for pretend play, October 16, 2006
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Food Groups (Toy)
We bought this set of play food for our 2 yr old to go with her new kitchen after being disappointed with the low quality of plastic food sets. We all love this set. The pros: very sturdy and made to last, takes a beating/frequent use, set includes a little bit of everything, comes with handy wooden baskets to store them in (or your child's rock collection, which our child now uses them for!). Cons = foods are a little old school - certainly not realistic, they are much louder than plastic (esp. when dropped on hardwood floors). Overall, we recommend these as a nice alternative to plastic foods and cardboard boxes that will be dented and destroyed quickly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but for one detail..., January 1, 2008
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Food Groups (Toy)
My son has a great deal of fun playing with this food with his play kitchen, the one problem is this... the food is not washable. One piece of the set got dropped into some real spagetti and when I washed it off, the paint/coating started peeling off, so I just had to throw it away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great products, January 9, 2007
Mario Covarrubias Jr. (Flower Mound, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Food Groups (Toy)
My kids (ages 2, 4, 6 and 8) love this wooden pretend food. It's much better made than the plastic stuff and doesn't come with a bunch of worthless pieces, like cardboard cereal boxes that don't last more than a few hours.

2.0 out of 5 stars Paint Chips Off!, February 24, 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Food Groups (Toy)
I got this set for my son for Christmas and by January half of the food was chipped. It chips off a little every time he plays with it. It's play FOOD, of all the painted wooden toys play food should not chip! It's really too bad because they're so cute.

2.0 out of 5 stars Paint Comes Off Easily, August 11, 2008
SD Mom (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Food Groups (Toy)
I bought this food set thinking the wooden version would be more durable, safer, etc... than the plastic food. However, the paint chips off in large pieces every time it is dropped. I don't feel that it is safe because my son gets paint chips on his hands, could eat them, and is tempted to peel off more paint from the toys as they chip. They look great initially, but I would not recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Food Groups, November 19, 2007
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Food Groups (Toy)
I bought this product based on the great reviews I found on the internet. I did not want a ton of food to clutter the house and I wanted something that would withstand two very active kids. The pieces are small, light weight and beautifully crafted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Set!, November 19, 2008
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Food Groups (Toy)
My son loves this set. The only downfall is that the orange is just a painted ball and has been permanently taken away due to throwing. The same is about to happen with the lemon, egg and tomato. So, if you have a thrower in your house, beware! They are solid pieces and hurt! Other than that, love it! My son loves to make burgers and hot dogs (no bun with the hot dog though). He also loves to go to the "store" and "buy" milk and bananas. Love the set, and the crates the food comes in!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Imaginative Play, January 11, 2007
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Food Groups (Toy)
I purchased this food set for Christmas from "Santa" for my daughter who is almost 2. Both she and her brother LOVE to play with this and it has really added a lot of fun to their existing kitchen. Sturdy, heavy duty pieces that will not disappoint. Not surprising from Melissa and Doug.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you want realistic, pick a different set, July 29, 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Food Groups (Toy)
I am so disappointed in this product. I ordered two sets for language learning tools, trusting the Melissa & Doug products, which have always been excellent. However, the fruits & vegetables are hardly identifiable. They don't have much detail. Quite disappointing for Melissa & Doug.

Melissa & Doug Food Groups