Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 25, 2011
My 21 month old son received this as a Christmas gift, and it was the ONLY gift he wanted to play with! It's such a simple concept - a wooden garbage truck with wheels that move and moveable arms on the back that lift the dumpster and dump the "garbage" into the truck compartment. Yet, my son is completely enamored with it. He repeatedly dumps the garbage in, takes it back out, and dumps it back in. I don't really know why, but this toy is a hit! (I should mention that he also loves anything to do with garbage - that may be part of it.) 5 stars for another quality Melissa & Doug toy.
on November 3, 2013
My 2 year old son is obsessed with all trucks, esp. garbage trucks. He loves this one, but here's the problems I have with it. 1) The green dumpster is not attached, it just slides into the yellow prongs. So unless your toddler is has alot of patience, it coming off every time gets old quick. I ended up super-gluing the dumpster onto the prongs, but even that comes off every month or so, so it has to be done again. 2) The garbage block that slides down into the dumpster only goes in ONE way. I mean literally side A only. my 2 year old still hasn't figured this out, so we have to put ping pong balls in the bin for him to dump into the back, because he gets so frustrated trying to get the block in exactly right.

As an adult, I find it funny that there's a recycle symbol on the side and the block that goes with it has obvious garbage painted on it...lol.

I probably wouldn't buy this again for a child under two, but he does play with it alot, with the modifications I made.
on January 26, 2012
It's a garbage truck, what could be better to a 3 year old boy? We love the Melissa and Doug toys, and were thrilled to find this one. For a little boy who crawled around with his tiny hot wheels pick up truck, putting miniscule pieces of floor crud in it, saying "dis one is garbage... dis one is garbage..." for something like 45 minutes, well, this garbage truck was an awesome gift!
on April 11, 2014
My 3 year old loves this! He does have a hard time getting the yellow piece that holds the can attached, but has fun with it anyway. The only other issues is slightly chipping paint, which I've noticed with other Melissa and Doug toys as well- it has to be considered that he is a boy and isn't playing with this gently necessarily, but just a heads up if that sort of thing might bother you or if you have a baby you don't want eating chewing paint off siblings toys! Overall the toy is very well loved.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 24, 2014
The idea and design of this seems nice, the thrown together cheap as possibly execution is not worth the money to me.

I bought this because my son loves dump trucks and garbage trucks above all else since he was about 18 months. When this arrived, he was so excited, he could not nap, he wanted to go play with it as soon as possible. However, we have had problems with the Melissa and Doug car carrier he received for Christmas, so I wanted to look this one over carefully before we tore it from the package. Sure enough, this one has the same issue: it is so poorly made, it looks as though it was just thrown together. The wooden parts are glued together sloppily, so they rub up against one of the wheels and not allowing it to turn. Also there is rough parts that just haven't been sanded well, some of which have paint to smooth them out, but it still looks like shoddy.
While these details do not bother my son much (he is still ecstatic to try it out), after reading the other reviews about how the garbage doesn't work well until it is modified, I just feel that for the money, I expect a better product. I am also disappointed it doesn't match in scale to the car carrier also by Melissa and Doug. It is huge by comparison. That's not a huge deal, and not a deal breaker like the quality flaws. I also think it is odd that it says recycle on the side, but then it has garbage in the back. Would it be so hard to be consistent? Either paint the truck or the garbage differently! Oh well.
As an adult buying this, I am disappointed. It doesn't meet my expectations for quality that I was looking for. I would not buy it again, and probably will return this one. After being able to check it out in stores first, I am now looking to buy him this one instead: http://www.amazon.com/Green-Toys-5512755-Recycling-Truck/dp/B001Q3KUA0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1390570029&sr=8-2&keywords=recycle+truck+toys
on February 22, 2016
Terribly disappointed with this toy. I usually love Melissa and Doug products but this cute little garbage truck belongs in a garbage truck. The picture of the paint job was bad enough, but then one week after we gave it to my son the paint chipped off. The paint job looks like it got damaged and someone tried to cover it. I'm so disappointed.
review image review image
on June 3, 2015
My 2 year old son loves to watch for the garbage truck on trash days. I wanted to get him a "trash truck" to play with. He loves the truck, and easily picked up on how to pick up the bin and dump the trash. Kind of odd to me that they chose a recycling logo (which I like and support) but then the items on the block you pick up and dump are obviously trash. Good quality overall, though.
on March 16, 2013
Grandson 2 1/2 year old loved it. We got some small nuts in shell, little glass pebbles and other stuff to make a pretend garbage so he can collect them and put it inside the truck. He can play a long time with this truck amazed how it works.
on August 5, 2014
My two-year old loves all trucks so he loves to roll this one around and put all kinds of things in the back of it. He doesn't play with the bin and fake garbage it came with much b/c it's kind of difficult for him to do. The wood truck seems quite durable and he has taken it outside sometimes.
on April 3, 2016
This is a wonderful toy! My 3-year-old grandson is fascinated by the garbage truck that goes down our street so we bought this for him for Christmas. It's a good size for a toddler, not too large and not too small, and the mechanism to lift the garbage bin looks like the real thing. Because we always talk about the "A" on our truck (Advanced Waste Disposal), I made paper A's for each side of the truck and glued them on. It was a simple thing with a big impact for a little guy. Feel free to customize your truck! Great toy, well made, and very popular around here!