4.0 out of 5 stars Thrilled train lover
Published on December 7, 2011 by Heather

3.0 out of 5 stars Great kit!
This was a fun craft for my 2 and 3 year olds. They enjoyed painting and assembling the trains. The only drawback is that the paint is not washable. Made quite a mess on their clothes (and hands) that I could not wash out.

Overall another great toy from Melissa & Doug.
Published on January 1, 2011 by Kathy M. Sproles

3.0 out of 5 stars Great kit!, January 1, 2011
Kathy M. Sproles "kstawitz" (Little Rock, AR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Decorate-Your-Own Train (Toy)

Overall another great toy from Melissa & Doug.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrilled train lover, December 7, 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Decorate-Your-Own Train (Toy)
This craft thrilled the 5 year old train lover in my family. He could create his OWN train and paint it however he wanted...of course it looks identical to Thomas (or as close as a 5 year old could get it!!) He loved painting the train and putting the decals on! It's a nice thing for him to set on his desk- however he was kind of disappointed that it's wheels didn't move...but after explaining that it's a decoration he understands that it's not a toy! He had a blast making it on a rainy afternoon!

5.0 out of 5 stars My 3 year old loves this., November 22, 2010
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Decorate-Your-Own Train (Toy)
My 3 year old son loved painting this and has enjoyed playing with it for about a month. It is a lot smaller than I expected it to be, but he seems to really enjoy it. I got his several of these create a craft kits and he has enjoyed all of them.

3.0 out of 5 stars a little small, April 1, 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Decorate-Your-Own Train (Toy)
I read the reviews and knew that this would be small. I feel like it is a quality project, just not for kids under about age 5. It was a bit difficult for my 4 year old to put all the pieces together.

1.0 out of 5 stars Numerous problems - BAD product!, December 11, 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Decorate-Your-Own Train (Toy)
My kids got this kit and the race car one for a holiday gift. I usually like M and D products which made me all the more upset with the numerous problems with this kit. I was super bummed about this seemingly really cool craft project. First, they really don't make it clear enough that this paint is PERMANENT. It should NOT be used with small children. Our crafts table is ruined, along with some clothes and the plate and cup we used for mixing colors. Second, the holes in the wheels are not big enough for the axles they provide. I have to drill them out when I find the time in order to finish the project. Third, I haven't gotten to this stage yet, but I've read the stickers don't really stay on or fit well. Finally, the wheels don't turn once you get them all situated. Seriously, guys - maybe you shouldn't outsource ALL of your production to China. The cost-cutting does have negative impacts. I'd rather pay more for a product that actually works and is thoughtful about its users.

5.0 out of 5 stars really nice, October 19, 2010
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Decorate-Your-Own Train (Toy)
i got a bunch of these and gave them out in the grab bags for my daughter's b-day party
the boys just loved them
i got the cottage ones for the girls and they were a hit also
very glad with the purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars DATE NIGHT!, March 27, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Decorate-Your-Own Train (Toy)
My husband and I leave the kids with my mom when we go out or away and we wrap small gifts for the kids to keep them occupied while we are away. Makes for a fun night for everyone. These were a huge hit! All the materials were included making it easy for my mom. The kids loved that they were painting their own train and then played with it after it dried.
We always place a cheap vinyl tablecloth on the table when the kids are "crafting" making clean up even easier. Excellent idea and a great price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not too exciting..., March 19, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Decorate-Your-Own Train (Toy)
I wouldn't buy this again. I was thinking it would be something we could use with our train set but the wheels don't move so it ends up being a pretty boring toy for the kids after it is decorated.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars The kids love it :: shrugs shoulders ::, February 28, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Decorate-Your-Own Train (Toy)
My son loved to paint this train many colors, but was upset with tears filling his eyes when the stickers didn't adhere to the train once painted. I took the extra step to take some liquid glue and paint and adhere each and every single sticker on this train.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 21, 2014 11:27:27 AM PDT
Dear Amazon Customer-
Thank you for your comments on the DYO Train Set. I would love to speak with you to get some additional information and to help you with this. Please call me at #800-284-3948.
Thanks!
Beth Miller

2.0 out of 5 stars Unusually poor quality for Melissa & Doug, February 13, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Decorate-Your-Own Train (Toy)
My children love M&D products. However, the "decorate your own train" is the anomaly as far as quality and design are concerned. My five year old had fun painting the train and he appears to enjoy it. He would probably give it a higher rating. From the parent's perspective, I see the problems. The main issues were the wheels and the stickers. The wooden dowels that serve as axles do not fit properly into the six wheels; the manufactured holes are too small. The adhesive for the stickers has a short life; they either "self-peel" or fall off entirely. The paint was difficult to remove from our hands, but that is to be expected. And you can't anticipate the finished product, the work of a five year old, to replicate the picture. Yet, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the decals to adhere and the wheels to fit.

Melissa & Doug Decorate-Your-Own Train