Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on June 15, 2013
I bought these for my son when he turned 2. He's been using them pretty much daily for the past 8 months. This toy consists of three separate pieces: (1) the yellow truck cab, (b) the natural-colored wooden trailer, and (c) the orange excavator.

THE GOOD:
-Mostly wooden (some parts, like the wheels and the excavator's scoop and arm are plastic)
-Simple. No batteries, lights, or noises. Leaves the imaginative work to the child.
-Durable. My kid has not been kind to these and they're still basically in perfect condition.
-Excavator rotates on it's base. The scoop can be raised and lowered.
-Unique. Kids enjoy that the excavator can ride on the flatbed truck.
-Inexpensive. The quality has exceeded my expectations based on the price.

THE BAD:
-Requires a bit of dexterity. The yellow cab is pretty easy to hook up to the trailer, so that part is okay. But getting the excavator's wheels properly situated in the grooves on the trailer requires a level of manual dexterity that 2-year-olds may or may not have. It frustrated my child for quite a while, although he can do it now. (In fairness, I think this toy is listed as being for kids age 3 and up.)
-Made overseas. This toy is priced really well for the quality. To me, that raises questions about the conditions under which it was made. Although I like this product, I would be willing to pay more for it if the company provided some assurances that they are using fair labor practices and adhering to good environmental standards. (Or better yet, manufacturing their toys in the United States.)
0Comment23 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2013
What can I say, nicely made, the kids love it, nuff said. It does hurt when your toddler hits you on the head with it.
on May 2, 2013
My two and four-year-old grandsons love these toys. They are sturdy and detailed enough to withstand their attention and stimulate their imaginations. My only concern is that I'm not sure they are made in the US.
on April 4, 2014
what can I say? this is a Melissa and Doug product! it's fabulous and TOP quality; sturdy, fun and all wooden! No cheap plastic that breaks with light wear and tear. My son loves tractors, trailors, trains.....basically anything with wheels. We bout this for him for christmas and he along with other similar products plays with these daily; and might I add they've been through rough play and handlings and have maintained in all aspects: color, quality, etc. LOVE this and other similar sets....we've just about collected them all!
on January 14, 2014
I was surprised when my 5-soon-to-be-6 year old requested this for Christmas; it seemed a little "young" for him. But, he loves playing with it. Melissa and Doug toys are well made; the wooden construction will last and make this an heirloom toy someday.
on January 29, 2014
These toys are awesome, very well made; they roll across the floor effortlessly! Our son loves them; truth be told, so does dad! Nice attention to detail; the trailers have guide slits cut into them to keep the wheels of the piggy back vehicles snugly in place.
on November 25, 2013
3 year old great-grandson plays with this toy for hours. Uses the trailer with his other vehicles too. Encourages creative play. His mom is impressed with the quality of Melissa & Doug toys.
on August 13, 2014
Bought this for my 2 yr old for his birthday -- he loves it. Well made and super cute!! Forget the plastic stuff, or things that need batteries -- this is so much better. Makes a great gift.
on March 25, 2013
This toy does look great, but the peg and hole construction is hard for little hands to manage and understand.
on February 4, 2015
Great little toy! It took our son a bit to get the excavator lined up right on the trailer. He would get frustrated that it would fall off, but once he got it figured out, no problem! He was also probably a bit young when we gave it to him to have that sort of coordination down.

The digger is hard to actually dig with - it takes a lot of coordination and 2 hands. We tried digging in some rice and little man just got frustrated. So if you're looking to actually do some digging, this may not be your best bet.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse